Bought a dead GC and trying to diagnose it's problem. I'm stumped

All your console related questions and answers :)
zzyzxroad

Bought a dead GC and trying to diagnose it's problem. I'm stumped

Post by zzyzxroad » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:59 am

Hello all. So I knew this GC was dead when I bought it and figured it would be fun to see if I could bring it back to life. it's extremely clean except for a bit of dust on the fan. I see no burn marks or any other issues of this fashion. The GC will light up and the fan is in motion, but no cd, audio, or video. I've tried different a/v cables.

As an amateur I've tried multimeter continuity tests and tons of components and if I did it correctly, tests on the caps. All of this seems to be fine. The 2 things that did not give any signal was the 2032, and the RTC(X2). (I don't know if the RTC is supposed to do anything).

I read on one website that if the power board is bad, it can power up but no other functions, but my tests seems to show everything is good. I also read on one website that it may not turn on with a dead 2032, which I can't see why.

Any thoughts what my next step is? Should I just buy a new power board at $20 and hope for the best?

Info:DOL-001, no modchip
Ironcraft456

Re: Bought a dead GC and trying to diagnose it's problem. I'm stumped

Post by Ironcraft456 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:25 am

The RTC is used for system time for saves and other things. 2032 would be for that. Not sure why system wouldn't turn on with a dead one, but safe to replace just in case. Capacitors should count upwards in value constantly on multimeter if they're good to go. 2032 seems to be dead by the sounds of it, so start there. Also if your power board really was bad, pretty sure the power light and fan wouldn't come on.
zzyzxroad

Post by zzyzxroad » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:22 am

Hi Ironcraft. This site suggests that the GC may power on with fan working.

https://www.nesrepairsshop.com/Catalog/ ... cts_id=906

Edit: I tried testing some of the electronics and it all looked good. The voltage test on all the pins were exact, so the power supply must be ok. I didn't get a chance to test the battery.
zzyzxroad

Post by zzyzxroad » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:36 pm

Hey there. I cleaned everything that could have been dirty. I used a magnifying glass to see if there were any bad solder joints. So it's ok here.

The heat sink gets warm after it runs a couple minutes which tells me it's getting some sort of power. The laser has no action still.

I'm getting proper voltages from the ps pins, but could it still have a problem with amperage?
vickdu31

Post by vickdu31 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:47 am

Any progress on this? I guess I have similar issue with 2 motherboards, no DVD and no video
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:54 pm

Check around the MX chip, if you're not getting any DVD reset then the IPL isn't booting. Try installing a picoboot if you can to see if that helps it progress any further.