Gamecube freezes at menu

All your console related questions and answers :)
J.Gemstone

Gamecube freezes at menu

Post by J.Gemstone » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:41 pm

I have a DOL 001 that was sitting unused for a bit. Powered it up and after booting, it freezes at the screen where you can select Calendar, Memory Card, etc.
I took it apart, looked surprisingly clean inside. Replaced the dead clock battery, no change. Tried booting without the DVD drive, same result. Tried installing a Picoboot, and it will either crash with a DSI error and codes, or freeze at the SWISS screen. The heatsink does get warm if left powered on and it does attempt to spin up a disc. I looked over both sides of the motherboard and didn't see any obvious problems.

Anything else I should be checking for, or is this thing unsaveable?
Papy.G

Re: Gamecube freezes at menu

Post by Papy.G » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:45 pm

You'd better try to boot a game from power on, and try to solve this issue before trying to install a chip.

You may have added issues to the case.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
J.Gemstone

Post by J.Gemstone » Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:14 am

When trying to boot a game, instead of freezing at the cube menu, it freezes at a black screen (after the logo). The disc does spin up, for whatever that is worth. Same behavior after installing the pico.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:18 am

Are you sure it freezes without the DVD drive in the original menu? It's supposed to throw an error if one isn't attached.

It seems like something that isn't used by the boot process too extensively is faulty, perhaps ARAM? Try various games, do they boot any differently beyond the black screen?

Can you provide the exception screen (photo, screenshot) from the most recent version of Swiss that you see?
J.Gemstone

Post by J.Gemstone » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:58 am

Attached is a screenshot of the error screen. The first two times I tried it today (to get the picture), it froze on the SWISS screen. After that, it started to show the error.

I'm pretty certain it was freezing without the DVD drive with no error. I'm not sure when in the boot sequence that would appear. Maybe it was freezing before the error had a chance to appear?

I can't try booting another game, I only have one right now.
Attachments
IMG20230905054248.jpg
(3.01 MiB) Not downloaded yet