Qoob pro programming

All your console related questions and answers :)
rowenback

Qoob pro programming

Post by rowenback » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:18 pm

Dear all,

I have been interesting in powerpc homebrew for only few months and i have choose the gamecube because it is cheap, well documented (thanks to YAGD) and the capacity to change the first instruction executed by the PPC with modchip was for me a perfect door for homebrew.

I have written my own BIOS which is a GDB server and flash it in qoob pro and it runs but,
i have a lot of question on QOOB PRO.

-What is the available qoob pro programming interface from a running powerpc homebrew ?
-Is a documentation exists ?
-Is it possible to write in boot-flash of qoob from a running powerpc homebrew instead of using usb windows flasher tools ?
-Is it possible to read in boot-flash of qoob from a running powerpc homebrew after the initial boot time copy from flash to RAM ?
-Does the qoob pro containd a SRAM and RTC ressource as the original BIOS chip has ?
-If yes, do they have the same or higher capabilities ?
-If the capabilities are higher, how to use them ?
-Does the Qoob pro contains specific hardware ressources ?

Thank by advance, if you give me some answers or even some leads.

Regards
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Qoob pro programming

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:27 pm

-What is the available qoob pro programming interface from a running powerpc homebrew ?
Not sure I understand this one, but the Qoob Pro doesn't provide any interface, it's merely a ipl replacement with USB programmable capabilities
-Is a documentation exists ?
Nope, none really.
-Is it possible to write in boot-flash of qoob from a running powerpc homebrew instead of using usb windows flasher tools ?
Yes, this is possible, you write to it just as you write to the tmbinc ipl replacement
-Is it possible to read in boot-flash of qoob from a running powerpc homebrew after the initial boot time copy from flash to RAM ?
Also possible just like reading the tmbinc ipl replacement
-Does the qoob pro containd a SRAM and RTC ressource as the original BIOS chip has ?
No and no. You can just use the original hardware from the Gamecube itself anyway.
-Does the Qoob pro contains specific hardware ressources ?
Nothing apart from its flash
rowenback

Re: Qoob pro programming

Post by rowenback » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:44 pm

Sorry for this last thanks, but thanks a lot.

I have found in GCOS 1.5 source, a file named ipl.c with a function ipl_read which works when i use it to read the flash qoob.
but i do not find a ipl_write or ipl_erase.

I also found on eurasia a ipl_replacement.tar.gz of tmbinc with many sources but i do not find a function which may write or erase a sector of flash.
Can you help me if i am blind ?

I have also try to use dvd service of libogc but it was not work because with qoob chip connected to cover sensor, the libogc indicates that the cover is open and wait to be closed, but it was closed.
So i suppose that qoob chip allow to drive the switch sensor because it is connected to this sensor, does someone know how to do this ?
remark: when i use the libogc service, i use the dvd readsector example given with libogc, and i do not load the dol this BBA and qoob, i load the elf with a gdb server with take the BS2 place.
So if the qoob firmware do something on this subject before loading the doll with BBA, i do not get the effect because i do not use the qoob firmware.

Last question, the qoob is able to launch the nintendo software from PROM after a reset, i suppose that the function void ipl_boot(int what) in GCOS ipl.c do this.
but it seem that the function ipl_set_config( xxxx ) can do some interesting thing depending on the value given in parameter, do someone know what can be these values and their effects.

Regards.