mame

All your console related questions and answers :)
kevstah2004

mame

Post by kevstah2004 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:16 pm

I don't suppose this would work but is it possible to replace the mfe / mplayer program in mfe-mortimor-edition, mfe-fs.bz2 with the one from GameCube_advmame_full, mame.rootfs using Explore2fs then zip it back into a new mfe-fs.bz2 with CGPWBZip2.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: mame

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:45 am

It certainly doesn't hurt to try.. I remember replacing it with another application back then and it worked fine, just don't ask me on specifics, it's been too long.
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:30 pm

I couldn't find a insert or replace file option in Explore2fs only export :? , i'm guessing I need to replace the bin folder files, binary executables? and textures but mfe stores it's binary files in the usr\local\bin folder instead of the root bin folder the only ones I see their are busybox and init, mame doesn't have a usr\local\bin folder.
Sorry to take your time hopefully someone else with linux knowledge can help me, i'm a windows gui whore and have no experience with linux, the command line kernal inputs :? scare me away like the ms-dos days.
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:28 am

at work i have a test-linux box and i spent a considerable amout of time on this but couldn't get it to work

after i've extracted mfe-fs.bz2 i was able to mount the (loop) file system but it seems to be limited somehow. there isn't enough space on it, even after resizing it to 100mb keeps getting reported as 0 space free... it turns out there's a problem with the free inodes... and after reading some articles online it might not be possible to increase the inodes count without destroying the partition.

the mame root.fs was easily mountable and i was able to create folders once it's mounted... however i didn't get a chance to check the space on root.fs. provided there's enough 'free space' it might be possible to copy mfe-fs files to mame root.fs and see if that works...

i am new to loop filesystems but if the above doesn't work i might have to figure out how to create new loops that will be gamecube compatible
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:09 pm

AC_Orange wrote:at work i have a test-linux box and i spent a considerable amout of time on this but couldn't get it to work

after i've extracted mfe-fs.bz2 i was able to mount the (loop) file system but it seems to be limited somehow. there isn't enough space on it, even after resizing it to 100mb keeps getting reported as 0 space free... it turns out there's a problem with the free inodes... and after reading some articles online it might not be possible to increase the inodes count without destroying the partition.

the mame root.fs was easily mountable and i was able to create folders once it's mounted... however i didn't get a chance to check the space on root.fs. provided there's enough 'free space' it might be possible to copy mfe-fs files to mame root.fs and see if that works...

i am new to loop filesystems but if the above doesn't work i might have to figure out how to create new loops that will be gamecube compatible
I do recall that the FS at one stage was small because it needed to fit into ARAM (16MB).