GameCube 2 Concept

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
Apache Thunder

Re: GameCube 2 Concept

Post by Apache Thunder » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:44 am

A gaming capable PC showed up at CES that is rather small:

Gigabyte Brix Pro
(the official measurements have this at 4.5 x 4.3 x 2.4 inches and that's the outer case. The internals probably take up slightly less space then that. By comparison, the measurements for the GameCube is 5.9 × 6.3 × 4.3 inches. Now that I seen the other photos of it, the last number is most likely the height. The Brix Pro is almost half the height of the GameCube. You might actually be able to preserve the original optical drive placement if you are really savy at this kind of thing. :D )

Judging from the measurements, theoretically the guts of this thing could fit inside a game cube. One may need to alter how the case is held together though. There's a good chance the screw mounts might obstruct some things and you might have to fuze the disc drive lid shut and shave off some plastic on the inside that is normally reserved for the disc. But hell, one could make it fit into a GC case easily if they have the modding know how to do it. :D

It does not appear to have a optical drive. Perhaps one could solve that by modding a GBA Player case and have it mounted on the bottom so you can load in discs Wii style (though you wouldn't have to limit your self to a slot loader type drive). The drive would be connected either via a USB cable buried inside or via mSATA which should also have the cable buried inside. Bonus points if the modder is able to make the thing detachable like the GBA Player was.

EDIT:

After looking more pictures of the Brix Pro, it appears to only be half as tall as the GameCube and is also smaller in size in the other two size dimensions. One could integrate a laptop drive into it and if done right preserve the original door mechanism of the GameCube case. (would definitely need to use a full size case that accepts full size DVDs. Why limit one self to mini discs? :P )

Also, the power supply for this one appears to be external and similar to what laptops currently use, so one would not have to worry about cramming a PSU into the case. :P

Definitely the best candidate for a project like this. ;)

Photos of Brix Pro:

ImageImage
Benni

Post by Benni » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:46 am

löl!
You can build a WII MINI 2 with this one...
Nukatha

Post by Nukatha » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:13 pm

Color me slightly confused here:

Is your goal to build a gamecube-sized machine that is capable of playing gamecube/wii games in full HD off of a hard drive?
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:51 pm

harvey263 wrote:
harvey263 wrote:This is funny. I thought I was reading one thing, but it turned out to be something else.
GameCube2 wrote:Gee thanks Folks, Sorry i even Posted this.
Radirgy wrote:To be fair to GC2 he was just sharing an idea he had, he didn't deserve that kind of corrosive response.
To clarify, I wasn't taking a shot at you. I just found humor in how this thread panned out is all.
I think that like me, most assumed the gamecube 2 concept to be an actual project idea. It's fine that it's just an 'in theory' mockup.
As far as a name that sells? They probably considered gamecube 2, but obviously went with wii.
The wii would not be a cube though, it'd be gamebrick. or game-why-not-make-a-cube-with-better-specs-since-a-cube-is-practical-for-bringing-over-to-friends-and-the-wii-is-very-small-and-weak-compared-to-what-it-could-have-been-if-it-had-gc-size
the game
GameCube2

Post by GameCube2 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:01 am

A Wii U Cube...
PlayStation 3 CFW 4.55 500GB - [Sony 3] - {HACKED}
PlayStation 4 1.72 500GB [Sony 4]
PlayStation Portable Slim CFW 5.00 M33-6 (Silver) - [Sony Jr]
DreamCast (White) - [Casper]
Wii 4.3U (White) - (Mar10)
Sig Update: 5/28/14
GameCube2