Nintendont hits version 2: now has working audio streaming!

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
megalomaniac

Re: Nintendont hits version 2: now has working audio streami

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:10 am

should not use modchips as a comparison...all they did was patch the drive to allow burned DVDs...
they still depended on the original dvd drive for audio streaming functionality only when playing from DVD...

else any other method of playback did not work...
also...some later "Audio Streaming Fix" code was only to prevent crash, not allow audio streaming playback
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:15 am

megalomaniac wrote:should not use modchips as a comparison...all they did was patch the drive to allow burned DVDs...
they still depended on the original dvd drive for audio streaming functionality
There are probably a variety of technical reasons behind the differences. However, I was merely pointing out that most Wii modchips failed to properly implement the feature; some of them played the audio but not properly sequenced. So, apparently it was not that simple to implement, even with the drive playing the audio.

Correction: it appears that Qoob may have been the first GC modchip with working audio streaming back in early 2005. Looks like Viper GC took a while longer.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:20 am

noobcube wrote:I haven't seen any direct response one way or another from anyone working on Nintendont.
That is precisely the issue I initially raised in this thread. The same thing happened with the DSP patches which just "showed up", nobody could explain how they worked and the person who supposedly wrote them (Overjoy) remained completely silent about how he came up with them while everybody else heaped on the praise.
Perhaps I just don't understand why homebrew coders don't just work together on these things and share their ideas instead of wasting time trying to solve problems someone else has already figured out.... :?
Does emu_kidid not count as a homebrew coder?
If somebody stole something from you previously (without even bothering to ask if they could use it) and tried to shut down your website with a false DMCA takedown, would you be willing to share your future discoveries with them?
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:29 am

tueidj wrote:Does emu_kidid not count as a homebrew coder?
Of course!
tueidj wrote:If somebody stole something from you previously (without even bothering to ask if they could use it) and tried to shut down your website with a false DMCA takedown, would you be willing to share your future discoveries with them?
Was not aware of that. Haven't been keeping up on the scene drama, apparently. Nor does it make much sense to me. I'm just glad to see working solutions....
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:03 am

It's marcan waninkoko all over again. People don't give credit where credit is due.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:26 am

noobcube wrote:
tueidj wrote:Does emu_kidid not count as a homebrew coder?
Of course!
Well I obviously shared it with him when he asked (and I don't remember anybody else bothering).
I also publically wrote about the TLUT issue which can cause corrupt textures when running GC games in wii mode (visible in crediar's initial videos of nintendont), documented the difference for the CPU FIFO wrap bit between GC/Wii modes (as referenced by greyrogue when he fixed it in nintendont), and reverse engineered the IOS USB HID interface, as used by nintendont (you can even see that struct definition copied with the comments intact in nintendont's source code) for USB controllers.
So it's a pretty bold (and obviously false) claim to say I don't share or help other homebrew, particularly this project.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:03 am

FWIW, the sky in Burnout has weird colors in both Devolution and Nintendont. Must still be a bug there.....
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:14 am

Obviously haven't tried the latest Devolution build.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:25 am

Nope... actually haven't used either program recently (or loaders more generally). Glad you got it sorted. No longer have that game to test.

The only GC game played recently on my Wii was Super Monkey Ball using the original disc. My friend's daughter wanted to play it after getting bored with the Wii U, so I hooked up the old Wii for her.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:52 am

tueidj wrote:Obviously haven't tried the latest Devolution build.
Actually, given that you no longer post in the "official thread", not much has been said about the new version of Devolution. In addition to the texture bug fix (mentioned above), are there any other undocumented changes/improvements?
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:24 am

Do you mean undocumented changes in addition to the documented changes in the readme.txt?
darkseekerliu

Post by darkseekerliu » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:21 pm

tueidj wrote:Sure. But when someone asks point blank "How was this done?" perhaps an honest answer should be given instead of just letting people praise it as some miracle breakthrough.
Tueidj I am not a coder or anything, and I am not being sarcastic, but based on your statement, how did you manage to get the wii u pro controller to work with gamecube games on devolution? Others developers have stated that it is very difficult to implement bluetooth/wireless controllers but you made it look so easy, and I've seen you even added the ouya controller support.

Thank you for your patience.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:19 pm

darkseekerliu wrote:Tueidj I am not a coder or anything, and I am not being sarcastic, but based on your statement, how did you manage to get the wii u pro controller to work with gamecube games on devolution? Others developers have stated that it is very difficult to implement bluetooth/wireless controllers but you made it look so easy, and I've seen you even added the ouya controller support.
viewtopic.php?p=19213#p19213
The wiiu pro controller is just like a wiimote with an extension attached, except it disconnects if you try to read from the eeprom (which is the first thing wii games and libogc try to do).
cfalcon

Post by cfalcon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:51 pm

BenoitRen wrote:No retail disc support? No memory card support? What the hell?
Um you clearly don't understand what this app does, do you? Emulated memory card, ISO backups, like Dios Mios.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:11 pm

'cause it's so much more convenient to fart about with memory card dumps and using Dolphin to transfer savegames than just using the same physical card that's worked for over 10 years, right?
trashdinner

Post by trashdinner » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:36 pm

I know you are tired of this tueidj but removing the AP would really help Devolution ... the only people we encourage with AP are pawnshops, resellers and used game stores. Good GC games are getting really expensive atm :P You did an incredible job with Devo and It's sad that not a lot of people can enjoy it plus it would make it easier for Wii U owners to play GC games on Devo.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:38 pm

I thought this was a nintendont thread, not a Devolution thread.
ShadowOne333

Post by ShadowOne333 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:50 pm

trashdinner wrote:I know you are tired of this tueidj but removing the AP would really help Devolution ... the only people we encourage with AP are pawnshops, resellers and used game stores. Good GC games are getting really expensive atm :P You did an incredible job with Devo and It's sad that not a lot of people can enjoy it plus it would make it easier for Wii U owners to play GC games on Devo.
It's a lost cause, dude...
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Before this goes some kind of way it shouldn't. I'll stick this friendly reminder here to stay on topic, and keep the discussion peaceful and respectful.

Thanks,
The Staff.
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:11 am

Let's just hope Nintendo releases an accessory that allows us to use a GC controller, I might consider using the Wii U to play GC games then
For now I stick to swiss on gc and devo on wii
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:40 am

There are two upcoming choices for that:
- A USB host adapter for original GC controllers. Nobody knows if it will be usable in homebrew, since it may use a custom protocol or might even require a device firmware upload at initialization, like the wii speak (making it useless for any third-party use).
- Classic controllers that are designed like GC controllers. In theory they should work with any existing apps that can use classic controllers but the GC slider triggers are labelled ZL/ZR; those can't be analog since they're only digital buttons in the classic controller data protocol.

Or you could just get a raphnet GC->CC adapter, plug your current GC controller into a wiimote and use it with Devolution.
DerGali

Post by DerGali » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:20 am

Dios mios gets audio streaming too
Crediar gives credit to tueidj emu_kidid and fix94
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mxKxLwszq4k
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:55 am

Thanks for that, will get the raphnet adapter if the official one proves to be incompatible
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:30 am

Nintendont now has bluetooth support for Wii U Pro, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro:

https://code.google.com/p/nintendon-t/s ... tail?r=153
ShadowOne333

Post by ShadowOne333 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:09 pm

noobcube wrote:Nintendont now has bluetooth support for Wii U Pro, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro:

https://code.google.com/p/nintendon-t/s ... tail?r=153
Hellz yezzzz!!