Where do I start? Modding my Gamecube!

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
vonfnas

Where do I start? Modding my Gamecube!

Post by vonfnas » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:32 pm

Hey guys!

I'll try to explain this as best as I can.

I have Gamecube with Qoob SX installed. I also have a custom case for reading normal sized DVD-discs. And lastly, a Game Boy Player.

I just found out that it's possible to load GC Isos from a SD Card on Gamecube, and upon investigating the matter further I realised that it's possible to use Wii modchips if I understood that correctly.

Now I do own a Wii (which I don't use) and a Wii U. Both are softmodded. I also own a WODE Jukebox which is currently not in use or installed in my Wii.

Since I'm running my Wii games on my Wii U, I have had a hard time deciding how to play my Gamecube games.

With the setup I already have on my Gamecube, and the fact that I own a WODE Jukebox and a Wii I'm not using, what can I do in case of modding my Gamecube further? Maybe to be able to play GC Isos from an external harddrive?

I have tried to find help and info on the web, but it's all scattered all over the place and it's really hard to get a picture of what's current and best to use.

So please, help me understand what's going on and what I maybe able to do with my Gamecube!

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
RazorX2014

Re: Where do I start? Modding my Gamecube!

Post by RazorX2014 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:26 pm

i will chat to you on irc about what i did since you have come on irc
OmegaPoint

Post by OmegaPoint » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:02 pm

Personally I find running GC games from a softmodded Wii much easier, fewer region/ compatibility problems and you can hook up a massive HDD to put them all on. Plus no need for an expensive component cable to get progressive scan. You can even plug the GC controller into it!
badsector

Post by badsector » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:56 am

But you can't use the BBA or GameBoy Player and the 480p signal looks better on GameCube in my opinion. On the other hand a fully equipped GameCube is very, very expensive ^^
carnage

Post by carnage » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:12 pm

badsector wrote:But you can't use the BBA or GameBoy Player and the 480p signal looks better on GameCube in my opinion. On the other hand a fully equipped GameCube is very, very expensive ^^
i also think using a homebrew app like nintendont is much easier and cheaper and the games run beatifully, he even said he has a wiiu he can even run gc games on the wiiu too and with the gcadapter on nintendont he can even use the gc controller on the wiiu on nintendont so the wiiu can do preety much everything by itself, and yes the gc has the gbplayer but nothing prevents you from using the gba emulators on the wii or wiiu too, and i dont see how the 480p signal looks better on a gamecube rather than on a wii or wiiu tbh.

At this point i shelved my gc and wii and go full wiiu now everything on one console is the way to go for me, but thats just me.
badsector

Post by badsector » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:56 pm

carnage wrote:[...] and i dont see how the 480p signal looks better on a gamecube rather than on a wii or wiiu tbh.

At this point i shelved my gc and wii and go full wiiu now everything on one console is the way to go for me, but thats just me.
Comparison GC and Wii via component: http://retrorgb.com/images/GameCubePage02.jpg
The WiiU will have the best output (via HDMI), though.

You can do as you want, but why are you even posting on this GC board, when you are not using your GC anymore?
I like using the original consoles and try to get the best experience out of it, even if it is expensive. But this is just what I like... and as it seems what most people are liking here.
carnage

Post by carnage » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:07 pm

badsector wrote:
carnage wrote:[...] and i dont see how the 480p signal looks better on a gamecube rather than on a wii or wiiu tbh.

Comparison GC and Wii via component: http://retrorgb.com/images/GameCubePage02.jpg
The WiiU will have the best output (via HDMI), though.

You can do as you want, but why are you even posting on this GC board, when you are not using your GC anymore?
I like using the original consoles and try to get the best experience out of it, even if it is expensive. But this is just what I like... and as it seems what most people are liking here.
i was just giving an alternative to him of course its always better to use the original console but incase he didnt know it existed another way i was just letting him know becuase sometimes what you want to use on a console its better on the other depending on what your aiming for.
badsector

Post by badsector » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Okay, it's good to tell him of all the options there are. You are correct.