Mario Kart: Double Dash LAN (2 Wii's) HELP!!

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
chorgox

Re: Mario Kart: Double Dash LAN (2 Wii's) HELP!!

Post by chorgox » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:41 pm

I see ... In that case, would be important to start looking for a router/hub/switch that allow me to play,
by the way can you tell me which one you use, I may try to get some similar model.
By the time i got the BBA i may have another copy of MKDD
And yeah if it worked to you, at some point would work with me ;)
I would made a tutorial with all the steps if one day works, lol.

Thanks again...
chorgox

Post by chorgox » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:51 pm

It's Testing time!!!

After a long wait the broadband network adapter for my old GC arrived.
(believe it or not is brand new in a box with Japanese writing that make everything even more cool)

Is just a very bad timing since im flying home next week and I'll be away for a while so i could not extend my testing further.
I did my testing with the same shitty router so i was not expecting much

Wii A + GC = Success
Wii B + GC = Success

PC A + PC B + Wii A + GC = Success
PC A + PC B + Wii B + GC = Success

Now a word of advise, even though the 4 of them would connect, the order of who would be the (host) would make things work or not. I need to start with the PC and wait for the counting before i connect the GC or the Wii or when i was connecting GC to either Wii, GC should be the Host (I call the host the first one that start the counting) but maybe is just a stupid way to call it.

Now It was Impossible to have the 2 Wii and the GC or PCs as before I also my other disc of MKDD arrived so the 2 Wii were "reading" different ISO's it was a very little chance that affected but im just trying every little thing i can think about...

Also I could not connect the Wii and the GC using the crossover cable

I promise to test further as Im back also i been keeping an eye in flybay and I found another GC with BB Adapter for a good price, so when im back on January I would get time to start playing with different configurations and combinations.

Many thanks and would be until then
gc4eva

Post by gc4eva » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:34 pm

Hello, Is there any news about this?? hope to hear soon. I am also trying to run it. but connection always failed with my wii. two pc's no problem.
chorgox

Post by chorgox » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:03 pm

Hello everyone

Sorry for make you guys wait and thanks for asking, actually I did some testing last weekend. And having 2 GC help me to see how things would work. Bear in mind I could not test every single combination (kind of busy) but tried a couple of things.

My setup now is 2 GC's 2 Wii's and 2 PCs

Using crossover cable
GC + GC = Success
GC + Wii = Fail

I was not 100% if the cable did work but now I can confirm the cable was fine

Using the switch (no uplink/internet)
GC + GC = Success
GC + Wii = Fail
GC + GC + Wii = (the GC would see each other but the Wii was ignored) Fail

Using the switch plugged to the router
GC + GC = Success
GC + GC + Wii = (the GC would see each other but the Wii was ignored) Fail
GC + GC + Wii + PC = Success

What I realized is when i choose LAN from a GC or a PC the screen before the counting would be there for 15 ~ 30 seconds before the counting In Wii would be 1 or 2 seconds and straight to the counting. (I don't know what to make from that)

What I realized is that not matter what the 2 GC would see each other on any given situation, with the 2 Wiis never had that experience. I would have more time to try more combinations next weekend, and also thinking to get a new switch/hub so is not such a pain to test stuff...
gc4eva

Post by gc4eva » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:54 pm

I really like to have gc and wii to work. I did this.

I am trying to connect the wii with devolution and static ip on wifi that also can been seen on the pc. I try to connect with a pc installed dolphin where I use openvpn that is bridge with my ethernet cable. Also the BBA mode is selected on dolphin. The problem is the wii and the pc doesn't see each other??? when you select lan mode. Strange part is that two pc's can find each-other. What is the problem ???? I hope to hear soon. I have R266.
chorgox

Post by chorgox » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:22 am

for what I learn so far, the router is the weakest link.
Some routers are more capable than others, mine is a shitty one

Using a switch is fine using a GC but I think when it comes to Wii's is not working.
I would try to use the switch and install some DHCP client on one of my PC' and try from there if they can finally see each other

I need to move stuff and make a mess of cables and stuff on my desk to try things, so usually I try that on the weekends.

Now using a PC to Wii is perfectly doable, never connected them via wifi
I used the wired connection and I remember, I had to let the counter start in the Pc and then start the Wii or some stupid sequence like that.
I hope it helps
gc4eva

Post by gc4eva » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:45 pm

Hello, I have the linksys wireless-g WRT54G v5 this should work I thought ? because this one was used allot for the gamecube lan. So should this not work or am I missing something ?
chorgox

Post by chorgox » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:27 pm

A switch would work on Gamecube but that does not translate that would work with Wiis
I don't know if this router can help, for what I know is a good router and you can also use custom firmware on it.

My recommendation is to use WIRED connections, also try to make sure that there is no other devices connected (maybe they are interfering), using the same setup you use to connect 2 pcs would work on a 1 wii 1 pc, it did work on my case after a bit of try and error.
gc4eva

Post by gc4eva » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:19 pm

I saw this on this website.

the also tell about this router: LINKSYS BEFSR41

Routers

We recommend routers by LinkSys. In our experience, they are more compatible with online console gaming than other router brands. The LINKSYS BEFSR41 is the cheapest 4 port router available as of this writing. Routers have better port forwarding options than ICS. So if you plan to host a lot of online sessions, its recommended that you purchase a router.

http://gamecube.onlineconsoles.com/phpB ... line.php#2

I order a lan adapter for my wii I hope this will help.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:21 pm

This isn't online gaming and it doesn't use port forwarding. You need to look for multicast support.
gc4eva

Post by gc4eva » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:16 pm

Hello,

I order a lan adapter for my wii. I also order a gamecube broadband adapter to test it also. I hope this wil work for me also. in the configuration in the cisco router that I have has a multicast support. So I hope when the broadband adapter for the GC will arrived I can test if the wii will work on wifi or not. If not I also going to test it with the lan adapter for the wii when it arrived. Is there any news from testing it this last 28-30 january ?
gc4eva

Post by gc4eva » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:09 pm

Hello,

I received today the gc broadband adapter. I also try today wii on wifi because I still didn't received the lan adapter for it. I also had the same first the gamecube start the host and than the wii will find it. when you have first the wii as host the gamecube will not find it. I had a static ip in the wii. Only problem What I have now when the gamecube is a host and they find the connection the game start and directly when the intro finished the connection failed. I also but a a picture in the attachment so you can see. I think I have the multicast on in the wifi. So what will be the problem ?
Attachments
2016-02-03 18.56.25.jpg
(1.63 MiB) Not downloaded yet
gc4eva

Post by gc4eva » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:18 pm

Today I received my lan adapter for the wii.

So I test it with 2 gamecube with broadband adapter and a wii with lan adapter connected to a wrt linksys router.

It works! so gc+gc+wii without any static ip.

So the wifi connection is not really a good idea. Hoop this help others.
OneUp

Post by OneUp » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:09 am

There's got to be something a little bit weird in Devolution that's preventing Wiis from seeing each other. In accordance with the others here, I can get Wiis to connect to my PC just fine, but never each other. My router (ASUS RT-N66U) definitely supports multicast properly (I've enabled Multicast Routing and Efficient Multicast Forwarding).
dancrane212

Post by dancrane212 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:55 pm

OneUp wrote:There's got to be something a little bit weird in Devolution that's preventing Wiis from seeing each other. In accordance with the others here, I can get Wiis to connect to my PC just fine, but never each other. My router (ASUS RT-N66U) definitely supports multicast properly (I've enabled Multicast Routing and Efficient Multicast Forwarding).
Are you running into the same issue myself and chorgox did where two Wii consoles hooked up to a PC or Gamecube stop on the counting screen? Definitely seem like they won't connect regardless of the router.
chorgox

Post by chorgox » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:11 pm

Hello Everyone, sorry for the delays, been waiting for the switch that never arrived, cancelled the order and order another one.
Im glad that GC-forever managed to sort the stuff, as soon as you got the network adapter is all good.

Ok here is my findings, bear in mind that now i got 3 Wiis (with the adapter) + 2 GC + 2 Pcs + 2 Switchs + 1 Router

Testing with new switch (no uplink)

would not connect the Wii the 2 GC (would see each other and play flawless)

Testing with the new switch and using a Pc running a DHCP server, I would find something very weird, please look at the photos
The MAC is not visible for the running server (?) you can see on the pictures IPs

192.168.0.100 [PC running the Server]
192.168.0.101 [Wii # 1]
192.168.0.102 [Wii # 2]
192.168.0.103 [Wii # 3]
192.168.0.104 [GC # 1]
192.168.0.105 [GC # 2]
192.168.0.106 [PC running dolphin]
192.168.0.105 [PC New MAC appears when i run the game]

I Always start with the GC and PC for the counting so by the time the numbers appear I can add one Wii at the time, as always the moment the second Wii comes to the equation, the counting stops in the Wii and the others got stuck in the screen (note the PC and One GC showing 5 Systems the others only 4 systems and the Second Wii stucked)

Having 2 different Switchs, 1 Router 3 different Wiis with 3 different Adapters, that i tried, with every combination I start to think that or im a bit stupid (that is always a chance) or there is something very weird in my setup.

I would try more testing with another Pc running a DHCP server, and try to test whats happen with only PCs and Wiis or different variants. Also test System Link cable with PC + GC because the Wii + GC never worked. etc etc
chorgox

Post by chorgox » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:31 pm

I was wondering if any of you have a older version of Devolution?

Seems like the r234 was the first one to offer BBA, and i used only the latest r266 for all my testings.
thanks!
gc4eva

Post by gc4eva » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:44 pm

I have now also second wii with the same problem it count till 172 and get freeze. The first wii will say 3 gamecube's and the other 2 gamecube's will say 4 gamecube's. How can I fix this ?? it is always with the second wii. I have r266 installed
gc4eva

Post by gc4eva » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:39 pm

tueidj wrote:
chorgox wrote:(that's how you tested right? )
I tested with 2 wiis, 2 wiis + 1 wiiu, 2 wiis + wiiu + 2 PCs... all worked, regardless of wifi or wired connections.
Tueidj, can you please tell us what is the problem? I think also have the same problem when second wii add to the setup with 2 gc + 2wiis. I use automatic ip and also static ip in the system it doesn't make a change it include multicast enabled.

Which Rxxx version do you have on your wiis? I have r266. I also test the r253 with the same problem. R234 didn't had the BBA option in it yet.

Hope to hear soon.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:21 am

What do you expect me to tell you besides "it works for me"?
chorgox

Post by chorgox » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:53 am

Any chance of telling us what router are you using?
gc4eva

Post by gc4eva » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:57 am

tueidj wrote:What do you expect me to tell you besides "it works for me"?
Maybe you can make list how we can find out where the problem is ? or why this problem appear ? version of homebrew, version of the wii version? maybe other thricks that helps to find out what the problem is in our setup? It will be helpfull.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Your router is obviously not good enough.

I am using a cisco EA4500.
gc4eva

Post by gc4eva » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Can you maybe explain why it is not good enough? because with the gamecube's it works. When second wii is added it get stuck with counting and only the gamecube see the wii's. when I add a pc with it is doesn't have the problem. It looks like the wii has maybe the same name in the network that it get stuck and only what you can do with the wii is push the button b to resolve it. Or is this maybe a strange answer that they have the same name for mario kart double dash?
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:29 am

You haven't even posted any logs.