Hombrew web browser App for the Gamecube?

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
GC Devotee

Hombrew web browser App for the Gamecube?

Post by GC Devotee » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:13 pm

So I don't know anything about coding, hardware or even about how the GC Broadband Adapter works although i can only guess that its a wireless connection (feel free to correct me if its not) but I was wondering, why hasn't the community been successful with this idea? Ive been wondering about this for awhile now cause the Wii has a web browser of its own and because people have said that it has to do something with "RAM or Processing power" which is all hardware correct? So couldn't you just replace those? I mean it would probably even make N64 or PSX emulation better wouldn't it?
andzlay

Re: Hombrew web browser App for the Gamecube?

Post by andzlay » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:43 pm

The GC Broadband Adapter is Ethernet LAN (wired, not WiFi). Also it's pretty expensive. You can't just easily upgrade the hardware (CPU, RAM) of your GC and it'll work. It's not a PC. The last thing is probably the reason, why it doesn't have a web browser.
GC Devotee

Post by GC Devotee » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:09 pm

andzlay wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:43 pm
The GC Broadband Adapter is Ethernet LAN (wired, not WiFi). Also it's pretty expensive. You can't just easily upgrade the hardware (CPU, RAM) of your GC and it'll work. It's not a PC. The last thing is probably the reason, why it doesn't have a web browser.
Now I said I don't know anything about coding so I'm not passionate about the idea but I'm still curious, what parts would be too much for the GCs hardware? I mean couldn't somebody just program the GameCube to automatically convert website components into a smaller version of themselves (like converting an 1080 pixel PNG into a 360 JPG)? or how about Deleting/hiding information that only appears when you activate it, sort of like the how the PSX and N64 games would hide 3D graphics with fog?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:58 am

The amount of memory required for a basic modern web browser exceeds the amount available on the GameCube. You'd be better off writing a VNC client but even then what's the point :)
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:20 am

Well if you think about a GameCube with a beefier processor, more Ram, a Wifi connection, it's basicly a Wii, so why bother?
Then, the Wii already has a web browser.
Many attempts have been made on some consoles, you can also give a try to GClinux, if you consider it worth it, knowing how much a keyboard and BBA will cost you.
The only way to go besides VNC or another remote desktop application, would be a dedicated version of Opera Mini.
Still, browsing the web with only a controller is the worst way to go.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)