Question about Memcard Pro

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
BsYadav96

Question about Memcard Pro

Post by BsYadav96 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:32 am

Thus, I finally purchased a Japanese PS1 last year in order to begin my game collection. I've been constantly adding to my collection, and now I'm getting worried about memory cards. I investigated certain third-party memory cards that were advertised as having 100+ blocks of capacity but discovered that they are not entirely dependable.

I learned about the Memcard Pro in this way, but I have some questions regarding it that its official description on 8bitmods doesn't really address, so I thought I'd ask the community here:
  • Will my Japanese console be compatible with it?
  • Will it matter if my console isn't even remotely modified?
  • If at all, how laborious is it to go through your "virtual memory cards"?
Thank You.
Papy.G

Re: Question about Memcard Pro

Post by Papy.G » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:54 am

Hi there and welcome.

It should be compatible with any region console, modded or not, and work seamlessly off original discs.

I've always used third party memcards and never lost any save data for twenty years of gamecube use. Although I experienced one save corruption with Zelda collectors edition.
On the other hand, I lost several SD cards, your mileage may vary, but I have choose my way.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:38 pm

I was going to reply but I'm pretty sure they might be asking those questions about the PS1 memcard pro.
capzlk

Post by capzlk » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 pm

i have a memcard pro for the gamecube. can't say for sure about ps2 memorycard quality but i have had a variety of cards and some 3rd party ones did corrupt. Surprisingly some knock-off cards that look like the official thing turned out to be such a good clone that they might as well be a legit nintendo one. But yeah let's say i wouldnt rely on the 3rd party ones.

as for the memcard pro, regions arent an issue, and it switches to a dedicated card when you boot a game on the gamecube so i would assume the same to be true on the ps side of things. in the end everything is stored on simple sdxc cards which are easy to make backups of, if you're really worried about that. plus side is you can access the card over wifi and copy things onto or get them off there without unplugging the card from the console, which is really nice. I've found it worth the money for my gamecube collection. with swiss it's easy to try out those games i never had a chance to get back in the day, so the collection of game quickly adds up.