Happy 10th Anniversary For The Gamecube!

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
xGRUMPYx

Happy 10th Anniversary For The Gamecube!

Post by xGRUMPYx » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:39 am

Cant Believe Its Been 10 Years, I Remember Me And My Cousins Camping Out For The Release That Day, I Was 14 Years Back Then So It Makes Me Feel Old :( lol.. Whats Your Best Memories Of The Gamecube?
There's Heroes And There's Legends, Heroes Get Remember But Legends Never Die..
deku_scrub

Re: Happy 10th Anniversary For The Gamecube!

Post by deku_scrub » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:04 am

Ooohh how sweet!! ^^

I'm a late adopter of the GameCube, bought mine in 2005, but my best memory is when I installed the Qoob SX in and run my first backup game, Zelda Collector's Edition!

Also, another really good memory was testing SD-Boot 0.3, it was amazing to see it working!!
__ deku_scrub __ Wii D3-2 | System 4.3 | HC installed using Smash Stack | WODE Jukebox
Xbox 360 Slim 4GB | 320GB Hacked HDD | x360key
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:05 am

wow what a "best memory"....booting a backup
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
xGRUMPYx

Post by xGRUMPYx » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:22 am

forgot to mention mines lol, mines has to be when me and my little nephew and cousins spend all night beating the crap out of each other on SSB Melee, Also Playing All Those Classic Games Such As Luigis`s Mansion, Evolution Worlds, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Zelda Collectors Edition, I Could Go On Forever But Dont Want To Name All of Them, Just Hoping That The GameCube Will Be Part Of The Virtual Console On The Wii U.
iggunr

Post by iggunr » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:27 am

My best memory was when I purchased it at launch and playing monkey ball, it was amazing, also because the only other console we had at home was the NES, a huge leap from that :lol:
Also some months ago when I got interested in my cube again and I was lucky enough to find in my country a bba and a component cable, ordered a qoob pro from overseas and installed it myself, and of course getting my gundam cube!, getting online in pso also felt amazing.
I think the gamecube is one of the few electronic devices i've ever had which has been working continuously for 10 years, an incredible achievement considering it has mechanical parts and got no maintenance whatsoever.
xGRUMPYx

Post by xGRUMPYx » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:14 am

Too Bad The Gamecube Didnt Have Enough 3rd Party support, But It Sure Did Had Good Games.
Benni

Post by Benni » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:41 am

I got mine late too.
It was just before the release of the Wii.

My best Memory:
It was a present.
from my wife.
on Christmas.

And the worst Thing:
Now i had a Gamecube and a couple of days later there were nothing more to buy- only on ebay.
BigRobotBil

Post by BigRobotBil » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:43 pm

On launch day, I went to K-Mart, but they were out of stock. However, they had games, so I picked up Luigi's Mansion. The next day, I found one at Toys 'R Us, and got the black model, as all my friends had the trademark purple 'cube. My Gamecube is currently in my dorm room, functioning as a classic gaming power house.

My best memory was probably the day I found a guide to use Datel's Max Drive Pro to boot up homebrew. That's when I also found TehSkeen and became a somewhat active member. First thing I did was shove a SNES rom into SnesGX, and was able to play stuff on my Gamecube. Afterwards, when GCOS came out, I burned a game on a miniDVD and tried for a good hour to get a game to boot (I think it was Battalion Wars). Finally my Gamecube recognized it, and I played it.

And then after the first level, I got a DRE. But, it was still awesome. I couldn't believe it.
infact

Post by infact » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:24 pm

I got my first Gamecube in 2003. It was the limited Zelda silver edition. I played like 3 weeks after school to finish the windwaker and ocarina of time master quest. It was just awesome!

infact
Image Image
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:55 pm

i still didnt finish master quest :D
after 3 new starts i ALWAYS got stuck in the water temple

infact

Post by infact » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:27 pm

Image :lol:
infact
Image Image
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:59 pm

fuck off! :mrgreen:

AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:07 pm

happy anniversary gc :)

Water Temple in Master Quest was easier than the one in OOT. Maybe i finally got used to the way the whole thing works
infact

Post by infact » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:31 pm

AC_Orange: +1
infact
Image Image
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:32 pm

hahaha you guys suck :D

emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:34 pm

Master Quest was definitely one of the highlights, even having Majoras Mask available was cool too (although I didn't play it again on my Gamecube).

May 17 2002 is when it was released here and I remember waiting outside K-Mart with my older brother and my grandfather who drove us there keen for release date cube ;) We together bought an Indigo Gamecube with 2 official controllers and 2 third party controllers, Luigis Mansion, Wave Race & Star Wars Rogue Squadron II as well as a 59 block memory card.. all our savings depleted :p

Sad thing was we couldn't play it until after school that day since we didn't take the day off so we had a brand new Gamecube at home waiting for the whole day before we could play it! Sure enough when we got home we gave 4 player Wave Race (and the 3rd party controllers) a good thrashing.. one of the controllers died on the first day and we returned to K-Mart to notice they had a 20% discount on official controllers if you bought the console on that day. So we bought 2 official controllers too whilst we were at it and continued gaming until very late into the night :)

Wii release was similar, I bought it 8am but couldn't even set it up until very late during the evening to play.. only regret was there wasn't any solid games (apart from Zelda), or decent multi-player games on release date.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:08 am

i was at the club in hawaii the night before release...left about 4am and went to stand in line at circuit city.
no one was in line, store opened and wild no rush...no one showed up, i should have slept in.

i got a black cube with 4 controllers, memcard, Luigi Mansion, Rouge Leader, and Super Monkey Ball. All the guys woke up from their drunken somber and one by one dropped by to see what goodies i got. Every single one of them was talking shit about monkey ball....
until they played it..

then they wouldnt leave
on days i was at work, they would come to ask for my access key so they could get in and play monkey ball.
Other times, they would just break in and play it..

monkey ball created monsters out of these people!!
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
xGRUMPYx

Post by xGRUMPYx » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:31 am

*Sighs* The Memories Lol, Wasnt The Gamecube More Power Than The Ps2 In Graphics In Some Way?? I Mean Everytime I Play A Ps2 game It Looks Sore of Blurry To Me I Cant Explain It Lol, As For The Gamecube It Had Pretty Nice Graphics, Even Though Im Not Into Graphics..
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:05 am

xGRUMPYx wrote:*Sighs* The Memories Lol, Wasnt The Gamecube More Power Than The Ps2 In Graphics In Some Way?? I Mean Everytime I Play A Ps2 game It Looks Sore of Blurry To Me I Cant Explain It Lol, As For The Gamecube It Had Pretty Nice Graphics, Even Though Im Not Into Graphics..
good question..ive been wondering myself about comparisons...
from what i can understand, i think the ps2 hardware had some hardware advantages with the graphics engine being able to outperform the GC...
but also, i think the GC had higher main CPU performance....

can anyone elaborate on the performances, not including crap software coding between porting titles...of course a crap port makes all the difference in comparison also....
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
_Nold_

Post by _Nold_ » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:14 am

The only thing i remember is, that if you watched a game review, it was always ps2 - gc - xbox (best in graphics..)

This seems to be a real nice comparison..
http://cube.ign.com/articles/086/086984p1.html
| DOL-001 (EUR) Indigo | WKF Plug'n'Play Diskdrive Replacement | BBA |
| Internalised: WaveBird, Keyboard Adapter, MemoryCard, SD-Adapter |

| DOL-001 (EUR) | >> First Gamecube Portable - Worklog
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:54 pm

My best memories would be me and my friend gazing at the handle and telling ourself how cool Nintendo was to incorporate this awesome feature. The system was engineered to be portable. I would bring my Gamecube to his house and we would play Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles with our GBAs. Later on he bought one and we did Mario Kart Lan parties with more friends.
We also laughed at the fact that people viewed this console as a childish toy when it had all the Resident Evil games on it.