Swiss 0.3

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Swiss 0.3

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:19 am

sorry about the lack of updates guys, I have been messing with wii64 quite a bit the last week or two until it gets boring again and I head back to Swiss ;)

Quite a few cool features on my mind for Swiss that I want to get working on and also memcard emulation compatibility fixes.
nobitakun

Post by nobitakun » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:43 pm

I'm really happy with this nice program emu_kidid, it's a great and useful one and I really thank you for the time you're spending on it.

I installed a XenoGC 4 years ago on my GC (all by myself, this modchip was a piece of cake ^^) and I started to play Resident Evil 4 and Final Fantasy Christal Chronicles (I own both, bought them second hand very cheap, but I like to keep them as nice as I can :D), but both of them gave me reading errors, and I was freaking out because I couldn't understand why GC wasn't accepting 3 different brands of discs (Verbatim Matsushita, Maxell Ritek and some unbranded Taiyo Yuden). I don't buy cheap, and these were one of the best discs I could find, but I was desperate because my gamecube was giving out my nerves. I even touched potentiometer to be between 200~300 and I bought another new brand lens, but everything was futile. I was sad because I was only able to play GC titles on my Wii and I was afraid of it because I wouldn't know what to do whether my Wii lens got broken, and more now since the Wii's aren't compatible with GC games at all.

But you brought me a ray of light with this application, but I don't know whether I am doing something wrong. I loaded Tales of Symphonia from Swiss 0.3 lastest version and the videos are like slowdowned (is it the right word?, sorry I'm spaniard ^^u). In game works nice, there are some funny sounds that remember me Spectrum ZX loading screens when the game tries to load something (i.e. enemies on the world map, some menus, etc), but I've read that there's an option to avoid those, right?.

Well, I concern about these problems being in most of games, but I don't know since I only tried Tales of Symphonia, but, is it normal?. I use microSD Kingston Class 4 2GB with an adaptor also Kingston branded. Since I had to buy a bigger SD card for the program, I ordered a Sandisk Extreme 16GB 30MB/s, as I saw it is fully compatible with the adaptor I have and the program (and very cheap ^^). I will notice a better performance and fix these problems of slowdowns?

Well, sorry for the speech jeje, thank you again for the program!

Good night ^^.
SouLSLayeR

Post by SouLSLayeR » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:13 pm

No, buying a higher class card will not change any of the "problems" you're having, since higher class == faster write speed.
(Makes sense if you think that HD cameras require faster cards than SD ones ;) )

The slowdown on cutscenes and menus is normal but hey-the gameplay is just fine, right? :D

Emu is working on swiss to make everything chop-free so stay tuned. :)
nobitakun

Post by nobitakun » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:14 am

Ohhhh, it's a pity, but as you say, they will be solved in the future releases and that's a sure nice news ^^.

Yup, the gameplay is fine, but why slowdowns happens? I've read that GC memory card port operates at 3,2MB/s, and I think that's similar to Gamecube's DVD-ROM speed with the advantage that there's no access time, since it's a flash memory. Even I remember PS2 DVD-DL runs at 2,4x, which is more or less 3,2MB/s, an the videos are played flawlessly.

Maybe the problem is related to a decoding option or something? I don't know whether Gamecube uses MPEG-2 for movies or not. I ask because I like to learn things I don't know, even though I have zero programming skills jajaja. But it's nice to understand why the things behave as they do ^^.

Thanks soulslayer, I'll be around for sure :D.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:04 pm

I wonder when WiiPower will update his Swiss launcher so 576p is possible. He hasn't responded the PM I sent him more than a month ago. :(
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:44 pm

BenoitRen wrote:I wonder when WiiPower will update his Swiss launcher so 576p is possible. He hasn't responded the PM I sent him more than a month ago. :(
you should wonder IF he updates it, not WHEN ;)
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
sharkzor

Post by sharkzor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:44 pm

errr... i know there are no stupid questions, just stupid people, but how do i boot this thing?
i burned the iso(swiss(pal).iso), inserted an sdcard in the adapter and booted the cube (xenogc and viper cubes).
All i got was a menu with two items.
boot.catalog
swiss.dol

the swiss.dol just jumps me back to the same menu.
It does write an ini file to the sdcard.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:56 am

I assume what you're seeing is the contents of the burned disc, swiss will try to browse the first available medium. Press B, click the load looking icon and select SDGecko.
sharkzor

Post by sharkzor » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:03 am

emu_kidid wrote:I assume what you're seeing is the contents of the burned disc, swiss will try to browse the first available medium. Press B, click the load looking icon and select SDGecko.
that's the problem, b doesn't do anything. same for all the other buttons. The only thing that works is A, for loading the dol that's already loaded...

*update

Got it working. Needed to press B and wait 0,5 sec and press A. Not very clear :(
Might be because i'm an impatient person :D

Great tool non the less! excellent work
w000p

Post by w000p » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:12 pm

Is it possible to swap SD cards while running Swiss 0.3?
My boot sequence is this xeno gc->sdload on dvd->run swiss 0.3 on 2gb sd->change to 32gb sd-hc->run games

When I swap to the 32gb card Swiss 0.3 doesn't want to read it. It worked fine with Swiss 0.2 not sure if I'm doing something wrong. (and yeah I know the sequence is a bit weird lol, but it used to work).
SouLSLayeR

Post by SouLSLayeR » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Why do you run swiss from the 2GB card?
I don't think you would mind 2MB less from the 32GB one =)

^nvm that just remembered that SDload doesn't support SDHC.

Try reinserting the card or the SDGecko altogether after booting swiss 0.3.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:49 pm

instead of booting SDLoad via disk, just boot Swiss?
inukaze

Post by inukaze » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:39 pm

Hi emu_kidid , congratulations for the version 0.3 :D of Swiss , this are very cool :D

You in the goals for 0.4 , you dont have considerated
if possibility of use another FileSystem diferent of FAT32 in SD
Something like "btrfs" ??? . Well i know this are very hard and complex to do
I just wanna know if possible . Thanks for any answer :=)
w000p

Post by w000p » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:11 pm

emu_kidid wrote:instead of booting SDLoad via disk, just boot Swiss?
But xenogc can't boot directly from SDcard, right? So I need to burn another dvd with Swiss to boot it directly. I couldn't find a full Swiss iso when I checked (1.4gb decompressed).

Guess I'll try to find a way to expand the iso to 1.4gb (the gamecube won't boot shrinked isos).
SouLSLayeR

Post by SouLSLayeR » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:18 pm

Try this.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:50 pm

w000p, try the PAL .gcm provided in the archive (it'll work on all regions, the NTSC one was broken), it should burn fine if you use something like imgburn which will pad the written area out anyway so that the GC can read it.
w000p

Post by w000p » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:42 pm

I couldn't find a .gcm in the package. I guess you mean the swiss(pal).iso right?

Also except the size, what is the difference between swiss-compressed.dol and swiss.dol?
Is there a situation where swiss.dol is better? The compressed one seems to load faster and is smaller.

Thanks for the help!

@SouLSLayeR

The trick with reinserting the entire SD-gecko instead of just swapping the SD-card worked! Cool!
So I guess the old way works too now, but I guess I should get a Swiss DVD working anyway so there's no need to swap.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:47 pm

Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II and Phantasy Star Online: Episode III both support progressive scan in their JP and North American versions, but forcing the PAL version to use it with Swiss doesn't work. I used the default options, though. What can I try to change to try to make it work?
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Got some more GameCube games yesterday. Just tested them with Swiss and added the results to the wiki. F-Zero GX seems to have the same problem as Super Smash Bros. Melee with this revision whereas it worked fine before.

By the way, is there a reason the image is moved slightly to the right with small vertical borders? I didn't test a GameCube game without Swiss to see if it also happens, but Wii games fill the entire screen on my CRT monitor and it's supposed to be the same video mode. Under the Wii settings the horizontal screen position adjustment is set to +0.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:52 pm

When I tested F-Zero GX it was the Player's Choice version (which is supposed to be the same as the regular version). I got my hands on the regular version yesterday and tested it. Surprisingly, the screen wasn't cut off. So I tested the Player's Choice version again and this time the screen wasn't cut off. What the hell?

I tested Super Smash Bros. Melee again but the screen was still cut off at the bottom.
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:05 am

emu_kidid starts to update swiss again.
Hope to see Wiikey fusion 2 disc support soon.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Anyone? :(
infact

Post by infact » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:27 am

Please try setting your video mode back to auto and turn widescreen forcing off (and maybe move swiss config file so it does not interfere).
Does the output still look wrong?

Had no problem here a while back with f-zero.
infact
Image Image
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:35 pm

When I run Super Smash Bros. Melee on the default settings I get no signal. Maybe it's trying to run at 50Hz but the Swiss booter doesn't support that.

I've tried a couple things with Phantasy Star Online, but it either doesn't boot or ends up sending an interlaced signal after the Hz selection menu.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:50 pm

got this working on my Wii with the homebrew launcher. I'm having trouble getting it to remember to boot my games into widescreen (I can just do it before I start playing but if there is a way to get it to remember I like this particular way I want to use it.)

I also have a little bit of trouble as swiss seems to only work in progressive mode, and my TV only takes interlaced, I can still read everything to get it to work but it is a fair bit of extra effort.

otherwise this is amazing