Swiss 0.3

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
alzen

Re: Swiss 0.3

Post by alzen » Mon May 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Emu, a quick question - is it possible for SWISS to work as a DVD laser reading problems? Sometimes, as my laser is in quite bad condition right now when playing a game I get an read error and I need to restart the cube.

Is it possible to start SWISS, put game's dvd in drive, run the game from SD card(with game's dvd inserted) and to make it work like dvd is primary source of the game and SD is like a backup that gets used when the drive cannot read the dvd? It just got to me that it would be cool, but maybe it's already possible, that's why I asked.
Take a look at my YouTube channel - totally dedicated to retro shooters
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon May 27, 2013 10:16 pm

alzen, anything is possible, whether it is practical is the real question. I'm hoping to have SD reads become a whole lot better, or near perfect, just need to work on the latest implementation I have in mind that should hopefully work flawlessly, or close to it.
alzen

Post by alzen » Tue May 28, 2013 12:25 pm

Would be great, hope it'll get implemented in v0.4. Anyway, I will just wait until next SWISS release :).
Aressi

Post by Aressi » Tue May 28, 2013 2:30 pm

When I try to play Ikaruga in select mode the game restarts
wishmasterf

Post by wishmasterf » Thu May 30, 2013 10:27 am

is there anything i can try to get changing sd-card working (issue postet on May 25, 2013 3:46 pm and issue 104 on googlecode) in rev216?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu May 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Nothing yet
wishmasterf

Post by wishmasterf » Thu May 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks for your answer. I hope it will be fixed asap. Without that swiss is not useable for me with medialauncher, because 2GB sd-card is not very big (1 Game max.).
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:40 am

@emu_kidid

What does swiss check to display video? The ipl? or the av chip?

To explain more clearly:

When swiss loads it automatically sense which region the cube it so it displays in the right video format. Where does it check which region it's from to display in PAL or NTSC??
Interested in more of my projects?? Check my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001843721188

Or email me at loctronics@gmail.com with your request.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:30 am

Code: Select all

__SYS_ReadROM(IPLInfo,256,0);   // Read IPL tag

// Wii has no IPL tags for "PAL" so let libOGC figure out the video mode
        if(!is_gamecube()) {
                vmode = VIDEO_GetPreferredMode(NULL); //Last mode used
        }
        else {  // Gamecube, determine based on IPL
                PAD_ScanPads();
                // L Trigger held down ignores the fact that there's a component cable plugged in.
                if(VIDEO_HaveComponentCable() && !(PAD_ButtonsDown(0) & PAD_TRIGGER_L)) {
                        if((strstr(IPLInfo,"PAL")!=NULL)) {
                                vmode = &TVPal576ProgScale; //Progressive 576p
                        }
                        else {
                                vmode = &TVNtsc480Prog; //Progressive 480p
                        }
                }
                else {
                        //try to use the IPL region
                        if(strstr(IPLInfo,"PAL")!=NULL) {
                                vmode = &TVPal576IntDfScale;         //PAL
                        }
                        else if(strstr(IPLInfo,"NTSC")!=NULL) {
                                vmode = &TVNtsc480IntDf;        //NTSC
                        }
                        else {
                                vmode = VIDEO_GetPreferredMode(NULL); //Last mode used
                        }
                }
        }

swiss reads the IPL
the IPL senses if a component cable is connected on pin 1 of the digital port to display PAL/NTSC progressive mode
if no component cable, the it defaults to interlaced mode for PAL/NTSC
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:15 am

Hmm I find this strange. I have a dalian good display ( yeah thats the name ) it doesn't like interlaced pal vga signals. It has a slight vibration to the picture. Very annoying at one point. However ntsc interlaced vga works perfectly.

Now I've been messing around with swapping ipl chips from a ntsc cube rev a to a pal cube rev a. I have succesfully transplanted a ntsc rtc and the other chip ( forgot what it was) and now have a ntsc cube which has the pal av chip and thuss have ntsc rgb available. It all works great as does the composite line. Then using a sync seperator (not the lm1881n, which only gives me a fake h sync) I get interlaced vga from the original av chip.

When I start uo the cube the menu does not vibrate making me realize that the ipl sends info to the av chip.

When I boot up the cube the menu now doesn't vibrate which makes me believe the avchip is sending out a ntsc interlaced vga signal. However when I load swiss the screen starts to vibrate in the swiss menu selection screen. When in game there is no problem. So for some reason the ipo is telling swiss it's pal but when it boots the ipl tells is ntsc.... I'm not quite sure why ut doesn't work. Any ideas??

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:00 pm

I've been interested in doing something like this for a while now. I was just going to transplant the PAL A/V chip though, and keep the legs lifted on the output side that need to be. Interesting results for sure. What sync separator are you using Zen? I was gonna hook up with some of these as they give a "true" H sync output, they're surface mount only though, no biggie I guess:

LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:06 pm

I'm using the wii vga cable you used in your ps2. I have some EL4583's on the way as they do the same job. The one you posted also seems to work. As long as it is a true H sync it should be fine. It seems not all displays work properly with the lm1881n so I would advise against using it.

Nice find on the diagram. Also switching the av chip would to PAL would do the same as what I have done. I just didn;t have a working ntsc board. That's why I replaced the ipl instead. Altough on the r,g and b lines there are some pulldown resistors and some resistors inline. I think it only reduces the brightness of the rgb signal though so should not be much of a problem.

megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:32 pm

i had some similar ideas i wanted to try also with PAL AVE...i acquired a PAL board a few months ago but didnt have time to test any of my ideas...
plus i was also lacking which direction i wanted to head into this idea....
maybe its about that time to start investigating...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:25 am

Anyone with SD swapping/refreshing issues, please try r218.
wishmasterf

Post by wishmasterf » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:01 pm

Can anyone share r218 - binary for gamecube with me? i do not have a pc to compile yet :-( Thanks!

EDIT: Got. I am testing now!
EDIT1: :cry: Not working for me :cry: Is there an log i can enable to get more information?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:09 pm

"Not working for me" doesn't work for me either. Tell me what it's doing.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:32 am

emu_kidid wrote:"Not working for me" doesn't work for me either. Tell me what it's doing.
hahaha - this! can we put this in the banner up there please? :D
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
wishmasterf

Post by wishmasterf » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:42 pm

emu_kidid wrote:"Not working for me" doesn't work for me either. Tell me what it's doing.
Sorry! I know this information is not enough, but i thought there is no need of writing the same thing twice. I think
reports should be in the same issue i opened for that issue (see here http://code.google.com/p/swiss-gc/issues/detail?id=104). david already reported everthing i also got.

And now a detailed report:

I tried following steps:
First try:

1. start GC with SD Media-Launcher.
2. start rev218 of swiss
3. Swap swiss-start-sd-card with a 32GB SDHC - Card with about 10 Games
4 Select SD-Card

Result: I do not get a filelist like i get in rev174. I am not able o interact, because there is no reaction if i press a button on my controller. I see all other elemnt on the screen, but no filelist.

Next try:

Same as first try, but with another 32GB SDHC - Card which worls with rev174

Result: I do not get a filelist like i get in rev174. I am not able o interact, because there is no reaction if i press a button on my controller. I see all other elemnt on the screen, but no filelist.

Third try:

1. start GC with SD Media-Launcher.
2. start rev218 of swiss
3 Select SD-Card

Hope this helps. Is there any information i can collect with activating logs or anything?

Thanks!

EDIT: Retested with rev220 and another gamecube, another SD-Card, another GC-Medialauncher-cd and sd-card-adapter
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks, I'll test via SDML shortly, there's a few issues around this area still.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:09 am

emu_kidid wrote:Thanks, I'll test via SDML shortly, there's a few issues around this area still.
should be there in less than a week ;)
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
Nukatha

Post by Nukatha » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:07 am

Just attempted to boot the current version (rev 174) via PSOload.

Both versions, compressed and standard, booted properly, and got to the point where I saw the glorious Swiss background, as well as the program recognizing the Phantasy Star game disk.

Shortly thereafter, I got an 'Exception (DSI) occurred!, followed by (I hope I'm saying this correctly) 32 GPR registry values, a Stack Dump and Code Dump.

Since the stack dump is short, here's what it said:

Code: Select all

80026d80 --> 80026d58 
The rest of it is pretty much just a bess of hex characters that mean nothing to me. However, the problem is easily repeatable, if you want any specifics, I'll post them.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:49 am

I assume you have a BBA plugged in? there's an issue that's causing Swiss to die on boot up. I'll fix this shortly.
Nukatha

Post by Nukatha » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:40 pm

Yep, I've got a BBA, since I'm still stuck in my old ways of the Phantasy Star exploit.

I really should make a bootable DVD...
alzen

Post by alzen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:55 am

Emu, I remember some time ago I tried to use SD card as Memory Card and it didn't work very well(as far as I remember the game didn't see the saved game).

Currenlty I'm playing Animal Crossing and I'm into the game but I know that if I'm playing from SD Card it's impossible for me to travel to another city - another player's town(because SD card adapter takes one slot and there need to 2 memory cards inserted into the gamecube to travel).

That's why I got interested in using SD card as the memory card. I have one corrupted memory card and one that's ok. It also makes it impossible to have 2 towns as as far as I know there can only be 1 town save on a memory card.

Are you going to finish implementing the SD Card save feature in the near future? I thought, probably Saves will have seperate directory so players can switch towns by swapping the save files in saves folder, is that correct? And in that case I can put town saves into Memory card using gcmm I guess and load the game from save on SD Card to travel to another town that's written on working memory card in slot B. Is there any error in my reasoning? Because I guess if the SD Card save feature is implemented in 100% this kind of trick should be possible.
wishmasterf

Post by wishmasterf » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:55 am

Issue 104 is marked as fixed, but is not. Means that, there will never be a fix for swaping-problem?