Backups not working on swiss?

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
d3monban3

Backups not working on swiss?

Post by d3monban3 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:02 pm

First of all thank you for Gcos and Swiss! But back to the matter at hand, I am currently trying to get cheats to work on my dvd backups via SD Media Launcher on the Gamecube.
Currently I have tried Gcos with AR108 & gcos 1.x, but I'd rather use swiss for easy cheat database access and not getting "action replay error in slot b".
Swiss is the solution saying that it can play backups via dvd with cheats , but every time it freezes at 66% at the patching stage. Used swiss r174 and r124 distros, trying to load F-Zero GX USA using TDK 4.7gb DVD-R's.
There is nothing wrong with the media, as it runs flawlessly on Gcos 1.5.

tldr
Swiss not running dvd backups on gamecube. How fix!?

thank you for your time!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Backups not working on swiss?

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:13 pm

Can you give me some more information about your GameCube, what drive is reported by Swiss and how are the games backed up, is it a single game per disc or multi-game disc compilations?

Do you have original discs to try, if so, how do they behave? (Don't try SD Media launcher, just a normal game)
d3monban3

Post by d3monban3 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:40 pm

Retail disks work perfectly, identified quick, cheats enabled too.
My back up is a single game per disk.

From the system info on Swiss:

model: Nintendo Gamecube DOL-001
ipl: NTSC Revision 1.1
DVD: 08 2002/23 (61)
Console ID (ECID): 0D969200:28C0C188:61C1E0F0
PVR: 00083214

hopefully there aren't any problems with this model dvd & swiss!
I just find it weird that the backup doesn't load on swiss but with gcos.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:50 pm

I have the same dvd drive myself so it shouldn't be that. What behaviour are you hearing from the DVD drive when it gets stuck at 66%? If you open the lid, does the disc spin down or has it already spun down?

To me it sounds like a media readability issue - the GCOS version of the drive code patches might be more resilient to iffy media.

How does the drive perform in general with that disc, does it often throw Disc Read Errors?

Edit: I'll test backup dvd-r's tonight, I must admit, I hardly use this feature anymore :P
d3monban3

Post by d3monban3 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:04 am

It makes that whirring noise, as if first turned on, disk spins up> slows down> then spins up again, a hissing sound occurs then an audible click of the laser reseting position> slows down. This happens about 4 times until swiss gives up :lol: . The disk slows down when I open the tray, and swiss is frozen at 66%.

I haven't had a DRE and no visible scratches on the disk.

It seems the only logical explanation may be the POT and my media, but I don't want to fix what isn't broken since GCos works perfectly.

Darn Nintendo and their lasers!!!!

edit:

Yeah I understand, the future was to boot off of SD cards on the Wii/GC! Thanks for taking the time to help!
I had to dig up threads from 2005 trying to get cheats to work on backups.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:23 am

sounds like it can't read the disc - you're certain it's DVD-R and not +R?
d3monban3

Post by d3monban3 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:05 am

The Fzero backup has dvd-r logo and "dvd-r" on the disk. That's a shame, seems like swiss isnt for me, thanks for the help.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:31 am

no worries, it pains me when a basic feature like this doesn't work :( I'll take a look when I get a chance to see if I've broken it somehow.

Could you try older versions of Swiss and let me know?

perhaps I need to integrate varying patch codes for the DVD drive like Cobra 2.0 bios did.
d3monban3

Post by d3monban3 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:59 pm

Hello again, today I have tried every revision of swiss (even r2!) Results: the game booted once on r124 & on r24, but that was after several tries, future attempts failed, so it was a fluke. Finally, I tried booting this disc using Gcos 1.x (as it is the latest) and the cube exhibits similar disc behavior as on swiss. Actually Gcos 1.x can't read any of my backup games, exactly like swiss! (tried Mario Kart/Super Mario Sunshine)

I don't know how swiss was created, but it seems like it's dvd booting was made using 1.x's framework in mind. I'm just speculating but somewhere between 1.5 and 1.x the way the games booted changed somehow.

Maybe it's the POT on my cube and I'm just giving you more to worry about. But the fact that Gcos 1.5 runs fine doesn't add up.

I'll keep testing, and if I still have the files, I'll burn another F-zero disk at the lowest speed.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:32 pm

I'll consider putting in the patch code from GCoS v1.5 into Swiss as an option.
d3monban3

Post by d3monban3 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:02 am

Rummaged around the house and found a multimeter! So I adjusted the POT to about 200-250. Prayed that swiss would work, but alas nothing. I tried out Gcos 1.X, and that boots no problem now. SO, my conclusion was probably the media that is the culprit. Its either the quality or the burning speed. I think I've been burning on max, so I'm going to try a slower burn this time. I'll keep you posted.
d3monban3

Post by d3monban3 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:01 pm

Okay, burned a game at the lowest possible speed, and still no luck. I have tried your latest r181 to see if anything has changed, but nothing has come up. Tried gcos 4F and it has same behavior as swiss, no matter what POT level, my games wont load. Behavior is still the same, sounds as if putting a burnt game in the gamecube and powering it on x4 tries. I will await future releases, if not I'll buy a used gamecube from a pawnshop as they are extremely inexpensive.