USB Gecko streaming and Sphinx sort-of unplayable.

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
Vague Rant

USB Gecko streaming and Sphinx sort-of unplayable.

Post by Vague Rant » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:56 am

I've been attempting a full playthrough of Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy (PAL) via USB Gecko streaming, until now encountering mostly minor issues. However, I've reached a point where it appears streaming the game makes it impossible to continue. At a point somewhere around halfway through the game is a simple-ish platforming section requiring the player to leap between platforms, timing their jumps to avoid fireballs. Each jump is at about the limit of Sphinx's double-jump distance, and the A button must be held down to achieve greater height/distance.

The problem is that a dynamic load reliably occurs midway through the first jump and this load seems to be registered by the game as releasing the A button, resulting in only a short hop that makes the rest of the jump impossible. Thus, Sphinx plummets to his death and eventually runs out of health after enough attempts. I'm still messing with it right now, but I can upload a save if anyone wants to try it themselves.

Dynamic loads additionally result in the music track cutting out permanently (until the next full area load), but this doesn't affect gameplay in any way.

I suspect loading from a faster medium would resolve both of these issues, so I'm not really expecting a fix, just figured I'd mention it for posterity.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: USB Gecko streaming and Sphinx sort-of unplayable.

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:51 am

thanks, have you tried the high-level patch type? I think it'd suffer the same issue unfortunately.