SD card benchmarking

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
mark_k

SD card benchmarking

Post by mark_k » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi,

When loading games from SD card, in what size chunks does Swiss read the data? I was thinking that the latency of each read request might vary for different makes of SD card. (By latency I mean the amount of time between when Swiss sends a command to read data, and when data starts being returned from the card.)

Particularly when doing many small reads, a card with higher latency might perform noticeably worse than a card with lower latency, even if the transfer rates are the same. And the latency might not correlate exactly with a card's published class/speed rating; maybe certain Class 4 cards have lower latency than some Class 10 cards for example.

Would it be worth implementing some kind of SD read benchmark in Swiss, to give the user some idea of the latency of their various cards?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: SD card benchmarking

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:31 pm

The problem is that the in-game SD code for Swiss is not the same as the one used in the application itself so results would differ.

I always read using the multiple sector read request command, even if it's a single sector as it makes the code cleaner and easier to handle alignment issues.