Goals for Swiss 0.4

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
BenoitRen

Re: Goals for Swiss 0.4

Post by BenoitRen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Why would you want a bad dump? :/
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:23 am

BenoitRen wrote:Why would you want a bad dump? :/
Because I have some rare AR disc's that won't dump otherwise. And the dol's on those disc's are, well I'm guessing near the very end of the disc, my disc's are severely scratched but they still boot because the scratches are near the inside of the disc. I know from experience that the GC's laser is MUCH better than the Wii's, because my AR 1.14 retail disc looks awful. It will read on my Wii, if I keep inserting/removing about 30 or more times while it usually only takes about 2 or 3 times on the GC. They got scratched up from putting one on top of the other inside a DVD case. (yeah I know bad idea)
Last edited by 47iscool on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:25 am

These discs purposely contain what the GameCube sees as faulty sectors. To dump these via a "bruteforce" method is likely to kill your laser, the best way would be to figure out where the DOL files are on the disc by reversing the actual main DOL file.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:11 pm

"much" better? My Gamecube disc of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess doesn't look that good, but it reads on my Wii. So does the terribly scratched Sonic Adventure 2 Battle disc. Always on the first try. My Wii is one that doesn't have any problems reading dual-layered discs, though.
47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:59 am

emu_kidid wrote:These discs purposely contain what the GameCube sees as faulty sectors. To dump these via a "bruteforce" method is likely to kill your laser, the best way would be to figure out where the DOL files are on the disc by reversing the actual main DOL file.
Reversing? I'm not a programmer, what do you mean by that? I must confess one thing, I tried using Waninikoko's DVD dumper & after 32 MB was dumped it slowed down dramatically; and after it got to about 500 MB which took about 8-9 hours (yes I know cruelty to the laser/drive) it started all of a sudden making this sound like it was knocking something around & that's when I stopped it.

Nevermind, I just found out that Cleanrip 1.0.4 GameCube edition is different in terms of dumping, it took about 70 minutes to do it but now I have a full dump of my AR 1.20.

--File Generated by CleanRip Gamecube Edition v1.0.4--

Filename: GNHE5d
Internal Name: NHL HITZ 20-02
MD5: 67DA803F44BC3078422383430AE45B83
SHA-1: 1D12EBBB2EAA9F9BBEDAB3ECEF5E0BF288D4FB4C
CRC32: B0FF96E8
Version: 1.00
Verified: No
BenoitRen wrote:"much" better? My Gamecube disc of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess doesn't look that good, but it reads on my Wii. So does the terribly scratched Sonic Adventure 2 Battle disc. Always on the first try. My Wii is one that doesn't have any problems reading dual-layered discs, though.
What drive is in your Wii? Mine is the red Mario 25th anniversary edition, it has the newer drive that won't allow DVD-R's to run on it, but then again, that's the advantage of having both a Wii & GC. I have two GC's, both are DOL-001 & have no problem reading DVD-R's with swiss, GCOS or anaconda, AR method. (ritek G04 with "memorex" printed on them)
Attachments
HNI_0005.JPG
Deeply scratched, pic taken from DSi
(69.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:14 pm

I don't know how to check what drive my Wii has. All I know is that it has no problem with dual-layer DVDs and doesn't have the boot2 exploit.
47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:25 pm

BenoitRen wrote:I don't know how to check what drive my Wii has. All I know is that it has no problem with dual-layer DVDs and doesn't have the boot2 exploit.
Mine doesn't have the boot2 exploit either, the first time I realized that my Wii wouldn't read DVD-R's was when I started Neogamma and it said no DVD-R possible or something similar. Swiss I think can tell you what drive your Wii has.
47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:03 am

A few suggestions for 0.4:

1. Dump GC IPL to SD in decrypted DOL format.
2. Play GC games using the extracted (FST) format that DM(L) uses.
3. Ability to extract main DOL from AR disc's to SD without having to format it first. (sddvd-01g)

Off-topic: I agree Swiss is the best app for GC, one thing it has over every other booter
is the ability to load a GC IPL in DOL format on Wii! No other program can do this, it's pretty sweet to see
the GC's IPL on Wii! How did you do this, every other app I've tried fails to load it, excellent work man.
Last edited by 47iscool on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:01 am

All good suggestions, the 2nd one would take quite some effort though I'll keep it in mind.

I think the GC IPL DOL loading works because I side step it out of main RAM and load it back in via a stub.
47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:20 am

emu_kidid wrote:All good suggestions, the 2nd one would take quite some effort though I'll keep it in mind.

I think the GC IPL DOL loading works because I side step it out of main RAM and load it back in via a stub.
Cool, not even DM can load the GC's IPL. I will try not to suggest too much, because I know you have your work cut out for you with Swiss. I prefer Swiss over DM, it's more flexible too, no having to have the ISO's all in a sub-folder a piece is one of my favorite features, keep up the great work man.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:01 am

47iscool wrote:
emu_kidid wrote:All good suggestions, the 2nd one would take quite some effort though I'll keep it in mind.

Cool, not even DM can load the GC's IPL. I will try not to suggest too much, because I know you have your work cut out for you with Swiss. I prefer Swiss over DM, it's more flexible too, no having to have the ISO's all in a sub-folder a piece is one of my favorite features, keep up the great work man.
what i like best about it, is that it runs on a gamecube ;)
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:47 am

liquitt wrote:
47iscool wrote:

what i like best about it, is that it runs on a gamecube ;)
Me too, although getting Swiss to run on my GC's a little time consuming. To boot it I use the AR anaconda method with, don't laugh, a cut up full size DVD-R (TDK) to fit in the GC. It only works ever so often, probably because of improper disc balancing. My local Radioshack stopped getting the Ritek G04's & those awful Sony "Accucore" discs can not be burnt unless I first put in any other brand DVD-R & then stop the disc to hotswap. Accucore disc's won't burn without swapping, my drive just starts to tick if I try to without swapping. I was able to burn some GC games with the method, but only my PC detects the disc, the GC doesn't. Re-writables don't work either, & SDload only worked twice for me. I have two methods, look for & buy compatible DVD-R's or get the SD media launcher. A mod chip is a no go because I'm not a solderer. I use DM(L) to boot the Swiss ISO on Wii.
Last edited by 47iscool on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:23 am

well if you need RITEKG04 - i have some spindles for sale.
on the other hand - there are way better soft and hardware mods than the AR anaconda one :P

47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:43 am

liquitt wrote:well if you need RITEKG04 - i have some spindles for sale.
on the other hand - there are way better soft and hardware mods than the AR anaconda one :P
Have you ever used SDLoad? I would really like to use this method, as it's quick & easy (except having to enter 29 codes)
I don't understand why it only worked twice, I have a class 2, 2 GB SanDisk card. Is there anybody else that has gotten it to work every time? I did everything it said, patched the card with sdpatch.dol, entered the codes, put SD Gecko into slot A & now I only get a black screen. *sigh*

Sorry for going off-topic emu
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:45 am

47iscool wrote:
Have you ever used SDLoad? I would really like to use this method, as it's quick & easy (except having to enter 29 codes)
I don't understand why it only worked twice, I have a class 2, 2 GB SanDisk card. Is there anybody else that has gotten it to work every time? I did everything it said, patched the card with sdpatch.dol, entered the codes, put SD Gecko into slot A & now I only get a black screen. *sigh*

i was using SDLoad all the time back in the days and never had any problems...and then there were better ways to load homebrew ;)

47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:26 pm

liquitt wrote:
47iscool wrote:

i was using SDLoad all the time back in the days and never had any problems...and then there were better ways to load homebrew ;)
Suggestions?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:08 pm

It should work every time, but as I recall there were issues with the newer versions of AR that made it less stable and the memory card used. What SD adapter are you using?
47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:59 am

emu_kidid wrote:It should work every time, but as I recall there were issues with the newer versions of AR that made it less stable and the memory card used. What SD adapter are you using?
This one: https://dx.com/p/wiikey-sd-card-adapter-for-wii-3993

The AR I use is 1.14A, the last one to have code input.

Maybe there is another code that would work? The code I input is 29 lines, some people on other sites have said to input at least 30.
Attachments
HNI_0001.JPG
My setup
(57.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by 47iscool on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:07 am

I think it's either going to be that version of AR giving you trouble or the SD connection.
47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:15 am

emu_kidid wrote:I think it's either going to be that version of AR giving you trouble or the SD connection.
I think it's the AR, because it works with also with a Datel SD card. SDL also has problems with Swiss, sometimes the controls feel a bit off.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:31 am

47iscool wrote:Suggestions?
XenoGC e.g.

47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:25 am

liquitt wrote:
XenoGC e.g.
I've never used any modchips, is this one solderless?. First I'd have to buy one of those screwdriver's to open it with.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:43 pm

47iscool wrote:
liquitt wrote:
XenoGC e.g.
I've never used any modchips, is this one solderless?. First I'd have to buy one of those screwdriver's to open it with.
there are no soldersless modchips for the gamecube.

47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:54 pm

Another idea for Swiss, ability to emulate memory card slot B as slot A to avoid "Wrong device inserted in slot A" errors.

This way it thinks that slot B is actually slot A.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:01 pm

47iscool wrote:Another idea for Swiss, ability to emulate memory card slot B as slot A to avoid "Wrong device inserted in slot A" errors.

This way it thinks that slot B is actually slot A.
what would be the benefit of that?
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image