Does anyone have any idea why the colours in games look odd?

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
thehoten

Does anyone have any idea why the colours in games look odd?

Post by thehoten » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:38 pm

I am using sdml and swiss and was loving it on my friend's tv. However, on my tv whites look really intense (quite blinding) and it's quite difficult to play my games. Does anyone have any idea why this is and what i could do to rectify the issue? cheers
kel01

Re: Does anyone have any idea why the colours in games look

Post by kel01 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:53 pm

Could you give a bit more info, like type of TV you tried at your friend's and the type of TV that you have and what type of connection from the GC to the TV or maybe a snapshot with a digicam of a game showing the odd colours and intense whites.
thehoten

Post by thehoten » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Yeah so my friend's tv is a midrange hd one, whereas mine is a budget lcd tv from like 5 years ago. Both times round I used composite cables
kel01

Post by kel01 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:58 pm

I'm still struggling to be honest even with that info. Really need a more detailed description of the odd colours or a photo.

Have you tried changing any setings on your TV? Like:

Black level
Gamma
Colour temp
Brightness
Contrast
Backlight

If the colours look odd then it could be one of the top three on the list. If the black level is wrong then it can make colours look washed out and generally brighter. If not then the gamma and colour temp could be the cause. Or it could be just down to the model of your TV and how well it handles and upscales a composite signal.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:46 pm

have you ever used that TV to plug anything else into it recently using the composite input?
like a dvd or some other video source?
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:09 pm

thehoten wrote:I am using sdml and swiss and was loving it on my friend's tv. However, on my tv whites look really intense (quite blinding) and it's quite difficult to play my games. Does anyone have any idea why this is and what i could do to rectify the issue? cheers
Could be a hundred and one reasons.

Are you using crt, plasma, lcd, led, oled,

How is the panel lit - backlight, edge lighting.

Are you running in a preset mode - ie vivid.

You need to supply more infomation on the your display.
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
HomelandReloaded

Post by HomelandReloaded » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:04 pm

If you are using the wrong cable (like 3rd party or for the SNES) then the signal may be too strong for your TV, but a good TV could handle it.