GameBoy Player start up disc from SD card

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
wii_HD

GameBoy Player start up disc from SD card

Post by wii_HD » Fri May 10, 2013 10:29 am

As more and more GameBoy Player units are missing the start up disc swiss can help in getting the hardware to function.

Its listed as working on the compatability list but as far I as I know thats for a burned disc image but what about booting from SD card.

I have PAL - NTSC US - NTSC J discs and ripped with GC CleanRip 0.4

I have tried various settings but can not get any image to fully boot from SD card.

Either an error screen shows or NTSC image blackscreens. The PAL image gives 60Hz or 50Hz option screen but freezes there. Whilst the same option with the real PAL disc auto selects 60Hz if no input is given and continues to load.

So has anyone got the disc image working from SD card and what were the settings used.
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
Aressi

Re: GameBoy Player start up disc from SD card

Post by Aressi » Fri May 10, 2013 2:27 pm

siphoned

Post by siphoned » Fri May 10, 2013 7:21 pm

I'm pretty sure I had that working from SD with swiss some time ago. The dump I was using is NTSC US. It is still on my SD card and I can still boot it just fine but it stops at the "can't find gameboy player" screen because I don't have my player hooked up right now. It is in pieces at the moment. I can get it back together and do a better test soon.

I booted swiss (0.3) from disc image on a xeno cube. SD was in slot B.
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Fri May 10, 2013 8:03 pm

Aressi wrote:try using ntsc-u

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUwI51KqJLM
:lol: thats "an error as occurred " screen I get with NTSC US image - not that you can tell with the quaility of the video.

Might be the fact I am using NTSC image on PAL cube but like I say PAL image freezes up.
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Sat May 11, 2013 12:23 pm

It would be nice if we could run this using swiss.
If you have a bit of money you could call Nintendo, they sell it as spare parts. You will most likely get it in a Wii case but the main thing is that the disc will be new :)
alzen

Post by alzen » Sun May 12, 2013 12:19 pm

Also waiting to see it running.
Take a look at my YouTube channel - totally dedicated to retro shooters
coldiori

Post by coldiori » Tue May 21, 2013 2:13 pm

I have the gameboy player and the gbp disc iso

the iso can load by swiss and the gameboy player works well :D
MarSAttK

Post by MarSAttK » Tue May 21, 2013 6:30 pm

Video or it didn't happen...
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Tue May 21, 2013 10:01 pm

coldiori wrote:I have the gameboy player and the gbp disc iso

the iso can load by swiss and the gameboy player works well :D

Yes a burned image to disc works I have checked.

But image from SD card does not work and thats what this thread is about.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue May 21, 2013 10:41 pm

load the iso from WKF...what happens?
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Air Conditioner

Post by Air Conditioner » Wed May 22, 2013 12:08 am

Not to sound like a "why not use an emualtor" dummy but, why not use an emulator? It seems like the current GC GBA emu is up to par with the GBplayer. There isn't really any "nostalgic feeling" either vecause you're not playing on original hardware. Maybe I could see because you want go use your cart but it dosn't seem that important. And one less thing attatched to your cube.
Formerly Mizumi
alzen

Post by alzen » Wed May 22, 2013 1:10 am

Guess GBA emulation on gamecube is rather slow, and Gameboy Player gives you the full speed.

Still, that's something gamecube enthusiasts just want to be possible; no need to search for alternatives. That's not what this topic is about dude.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed May 22, 2013 1:13 am

Alternatives are being searched because I'm not working on Swiss at the moment due to real life still being busy for me. This is on my to-do list, but there are way cooler things up on the list at the moment so this might take a little while :D
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Wed May 22, 2013 8:00 am

emu_kidid wrote:Alternatives are being searched because I'm not working on Swiss at the moment due to real life still being busy for me. This is on my to-do list, but there are way cooler things up on the list at the moment so this might take a little while :D
No problem at least burned disc image works so if anyone comes across a cheap player they can pick it up knowing they will be able to use it with their carts be it original or flash units.

Mizumi wrote:Not to sound like a "why not use an emualtor" dummy but, why not use an emulator? It seems like the current GC GBA emu is up to par with the GBplayer. There isn't really any "nostalgic feeling" either vecause you're not playing on original hardware. Maybe I could see because you want go use your cart but it dosn't seem that important. And one less thing attatched to your cube.
But it is "original hardware" not emulation. Though there is the refresh timing that some people talk about but thats no biggy.
megalomaniac wrote:load the iso from WKF...what happens?
Not yet installed the WKF clone or even original WKF I bought long time ago :oops:

But if anyone else can try with WKF then chip in.
baldjared

Post by baldjared » Wed May 22, 2013 9:15 am

It's working on my WKF with 1.3, haven't gotten around to flashing swiss to it yet.
Aressi

Post by Aressi » Tue May 28, 2013 2:47 pm

wii_HD wrote: :lol: thats "an error as occurred " screen I get with NTSC US image - not that you can tell with the quaility of the video.
Check this new video, the error message is because the gbp is not connected but the iso works perfect, I tried before and works fine with ntsc-u iso

http://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=-ax3_sfZl68&ns=1
alzen

Post by alzen » Wed May 29, 2013 11:33 am

That link doesn't really works for me :|
coldiori

Post by coldiori » Wed May 29, 2013 1:34 pm

hey,i load the iso from the sd card in the wkf and the ntsc-j iso works well with my gbp.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed May 29, 2013 1:42 pm

coldiori wrote:hey,i load the iso from the sd card in the wkf and the ntsc-j iso works well with my gbp.
awesome....thanks for running that test...

another question, is your GC a NTSC-J with WKF region dip switches set to NTSC-J also??
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
coldiori

Post by coldiori » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:26 pm

megalomaniac wrote:
coldiori wrote:hey,i load the iso from the sd card in the wkf and the ntsc-j iso works well with my gbp.
awesome....thanks for running that test...

another question, is your GC a NTSC-J with WKF region dip switches set to NTSC-J also??
yes,and my gbp is jap version
patters

Post by patters » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:33 am

People validating that the NTSC-U GBP startup disc boots to the missing Gameboy Player message isn't a true test. I observed that error message too, before recently buying what I assume to be a PAL Gameboy Player unit. However the NTSC-U gcm rip of the startup disc just freezes on a green screen after the progressive output menu when booted from Swiss. I downloaded an ISO of the PAL startup disc and shrank it down to 5MB using GCMUtility and that has the same issue when launched from Swiss. I see the 60Hz option screen, then it freezes on a green screen. It's a bit wasteful to have to burn 5MB to a disc, and I'm currently out of 8cm DVDs so it would be nice if Swiss could run this.

I'm running Extrems' excellent Gameboy Interface to actually use the Gameboy Player, but it would be interesting nonetheless to compare it against the official software.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:20 am

patters wrote:People validating that the NTSC-U GBP startup disc boots to the missing Gameboy Player message isn't a true test. I observed that error message too, before recently buying what I assume to be a PAL Gameboy Player unit. However the NTSC-U gcm rip of the startup disc just freezes on a green screen after the progressive output menu when booted from Swiss. I downloaded an ISO of the PAL startup disc and shrank it down to 5MB using GCMUtility and that has the same issue when launched from Swiss. I see the 60Hz option screen, then it freezes on a green screen. It's a bit wasteful to have to burn 5MB to a disc, and I'm currently out of 8cm DVDs so it would be nice if Swiss could run this.

I'm running Extrems' excellent Gameboy Interface to actually use the Gameboy Player, but it would be interesting nonetheless to compare it against the official software.

not a swiss issue:

Image Image Image
patters

Post by patters » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:08 pm

I burned it onto a disc now I have some, and it works fine so the only difference is Swiss. Is there some particular technical reason it can't booted from Swiss?