Swiss Nightly Build

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
toadhall

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by toadhall » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:53 pm

Apologies if this has been noted before. I very rarely post here but thought I should put a note about a problem I found with SDLOADER.BIN.

I'm still using the old code method of loading Swiss with Action Replay and decided to recently update the version of Swiss I've had on my SD card since I last updated it on 2016. Old, yes, but it worked. I went from r376 to r451. However, after updating Swiss just wouldn't boot. Hit a black screen every time. Apparently SDLOADER.BIN been's broken since r430. r429 is the last version that still works for me so that's what I've settled on using.

Anyways, thought you should know, just in case.
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:42 am

Weird, there are no changes from 429 to 430 that should affect that.
toadhall

Post by toadhall » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:48 am

Well, I dunno. Maybe it's not SDLOADER.BIN at all? Perhaps it's Swiss itself.
Jweeber

Post by Jweeber » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:51 am

Hey gang just wanted to report in that the horizontal scaling feature recently introduced in the latest rev has done wonders to fill the entire screen of my early generation "4K'" (2160p max) Sharp brand TV. Before this the TV wouldn't scale the native 640x480 signal to fill the entire 16:9 screen. I'm happy to report your collective efforts have proven successful for me! Thank you.

I'm using the second revision of the ZXP hdmi adapter (yeah I know the digital port connector is less than optimal) with the badass consoles wasp/wbk drive replacement solution (super high quality, btw) flashed with swiss ntsc-u r464.7 using horizontal filter set to 720px. The hdmi adapter has been set to identify the signal as 16:9 and my TV's viewing options have been set to stretch.

Please bear in mind my testing was not super deep but the initial results are exactly what I was hoping for and make me regard this feature as a significant milestone for convincing my TV the cube is putting out a signal worthy of filling the entire screen.

Thank you and long live the gamecube!
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:33 am

The new version of Swiss can not start Resident Evil 0. Since version 440 this problem persists. This game always worked well. And it was one of the few disk swapping worked perfectly. I recommend using version 431 if any game does not work.
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Just wanted to chime in here and say thank you to emukidid and anyone else involved in the project for recently fixing the issue here https://github.com/emukidid/swiss-gc/issues/152 regarding "Gamecube games (ISO's) can no longer be loaded from 2GB standard SD cards". Works a treat, I know it was an older and probably weird issue to resolve but it's greatly appreciated as my entire workflow and setup essentially depended on standard SD (no-HC/XC) cards.

Also, I recently saw both the Digital Foundry DF Retro and My Life In Gaming GameCube episodes where they reference SWISS in regards to homebrew being used to play other region games and fixing video issues for other regions. There was an older video from My Life In Gaming about the GameCube where they gave SWISS a shoutout which is actually how I first came across this project, so who knows maybe more people will become aware this great project exists!

If you're interested in the videos in question here they are:

DF Retro: GameCube HDMI - The Best Video Quality Possible From Nintendo's Classic Console
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oCtBe0nZew

RGB316 :: GameCube HDMI, Component & RGB - Plug 'n Play w/ Carby & GCHD Mk-II / MY LIFE IN GAMING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RBgbA8DhM0

Thanks again everyone!
whyat

Post by whyat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:55 pm

I have not had any luck getting wode to work since rev382. Does swiss still work with wode, because it freezes?
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:22 am

I know emu_kidid sometimes works on wode support but he probably doesn't test it as much as the rest so it's possible that it was broken at some point.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:03 pm

whyat wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:55 pm
I have not had any luck getting wode to work since rev382. Does swiss still work with wode, because it freezes?
I've setup my WODE cube to have a look and there are a few issues I'm working through. It's at a point where it'll list everything properly once again but it has issues booting games vs booting them through the IPL which is strange.
Sowden1

Post by Sowden1 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:26 pm

Hey guys. Just updated my DVD to rev 533 and I am having some trouble with loading Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition backup from my SDcard. It gives me a option to load what dol I want, which is cool. But if I load the Main dol, go to the in-game menu screen to select a game, it automatically resets. That means that if I want to play OoT I have to load the dol when I'm given the selection in swiss and it loads great. Just not from the in-game menu. I'm not sure why it's doing this, but it worked in my rev 431. Anyone else having this problem?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:58 am

Multi-dol main DOL support is broken for now, I'll fix this at some point soon
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:32 pm

I tested version 563 and Resident Evil Zero continues to freeze on the warning screen. I just wondered if "Remove exceptions for Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Resident Evil Zero" would be the solution or not...
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:34 pm

If disabling video patches doesn't help, then it's not that commit.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:09 pm

Streetwalker wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:34 pm
If disabling video patches doesn't help, then it's not that commit.
Streetwalker, always fast on Saturdays. Thank you.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:03 am

Andross89 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:09 pm
Thank you.
I just checked again, video patches shouldn't be enabled by default in 563. Do post your results though.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:30 am

Streetwalker wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:03 am
Andross89 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:09 pm
Thank you.
I just checked again, video patches shouldn't be enabled by default in 563. Do post your results though.
I tried various combinations without success. A user is having problems with Super Mario Sunshine with this version. I'll wait for updates.
Vendest

Post by Vendest » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Resident Evil 0 loads just fine for me with Swiss 563. Indeed I can't get audio to work with Super Mario Sunshine.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:28 pm

It'd be more helpful for debugging to know the exact version of the game (region, revision if any, ISO checksum is even better).
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:15 pm

Vendest wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:27 pm
Resident Evil 0 loads just fine for me with Swiss 563. Indeed I can't get audio to work with Super Mario Sunshine.
Do you use the PAL version of Zero? I had to change because that version always freezes in the video after defeating the last boss. I thought you had black screen problems as another user. Several games have audio problem. I do not even consider it a problem anymore.
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:29 am

Hi all,

I wanted to report an issue I've noticed recently when messing around with SWISS. I know this is very much a work in progress with constant iterations and fixing, but thought I'd throw my experiences in the mix. Previously, the 2GB SDcard was a big hurdle that prevented me from using SWISS as often as I would have liked, so now that it's fixed I've begun to delve a bit deeper. Alright here's what I've been seeing:

From booting SWISS on my SDcard (latest revision as of this posting r599) I see some graphical artifacting on folder names/etc when I browse a folder that contains .ISO's or .GCM files while the loading bar goes by. This is more of a UI graphical bug I wanted to report and does not appear to impede any sort of functionality.

Still messing around with different things such as shrunk game ISOs/GCM files on a 2GB card which has some mixed results that I don't want to consider conclusive yet, but the folder artifacting does appear to be happening to me just in the SWISS menu. If it matters, I'm using Component cables, but this happens from the default configuration. I want to say that I've also noticed some of this artifacting shortly after loading a game as well like Smash Bros Melee, but its tough to tell.

Thanks!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:49 am

boktai1000 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:29 am
From booting SWISS on my SDcard (latest revision as of this posting r599) I see some graphical artifacting on folder names/etc when I browse a folder that contains .ISO's or .GCM files while the loading bar goes by. This is more of a UI graphical bug I wanted to report and does not appear to impede any sort of functionality.
Yeah - this is on my list along with a few other things to fix in the UI, it's because I'm displaying the file entries to soon before they've fully loaded I believe.
Antoineuh

Post by Antoineuh » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:27 pm

Streetwalker wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:01 pm
This is already a thing. You can place a boot.dol at the root of your SD card. See also this for more advanced options with this (no binary build supports it yet). It could also support booting games but that isn't implemented.
Hi everyone,

This is my 1st post here, as I'm discovering Swiss and its potential to breathe new life to my PAL Gamecube.
I want to do exactly what you describes (3 years later...). Where do I find this "boot.dol" file?
This is my situation: I just unzipped the whole .599 Swiss release at the root of my SD card. Starting from here, do I just go to the "swiss_r599" folder, copy the "swiss_r599.dol", rename it "boot.dol", and move it to the root of the SD card?

Thanks!

Antoine
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:57 pm

Antoineuh wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:27 pm
Streetwalker wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:01 pm
This is already a thing. You can place a boot.dol at the root of your SD card. See also this for more advanced options with this (no binary build supports it yet). It could also support booting games but that isn't implemented.
Hi everyone,

This is my 1st post here, as I'm discovering Swiss and its potential to breathe new life to my PAL Gamecube.
I want to do exactly what you describes (3 years later...). Where do I find this "boot.dol" file?
This is my situation: I just unzipped the whole .599 Swiss release at the root of my SD card. Starting from here, do I just go to the "swiss_r599" folder, copy the "swiss_r599.dol", rename it "boot.dol", and move it to the root of the SD card?

Thanks!

Antoine
Here's how I use SWISS if you're curious. I have an Action Replay and an SD Gecko in Slot B. What I do to autoboot SWISS without controller input is go into the swiss_rXX.7z file, and go into the DOL folder. Take the swiss_rXX-compressed.dol file, and copy it to the root of your SDcard. Rename it to "autoexec.dol" - and whatever DOL file is named autoexec.dol will get automatically booted after the Action Replay disc starts.

Depending on how you're accessing homebrew on your GameCube your process may change (some games can boot homebrew, modchips, etc) but for the SD Card + Action Replay setup, this is what I've found to be the easiest way.

I don't really know what the difference is between the "compressed" and "regular" releases are, but I've been used the compressed version for a while without issues.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:41 pm

I have discovered why Resident Evil Zero does not start correctly on new versions of Swiss. This problem is caused by naming the files for disk swapping to happen. I've always named the files like this:

XXX Disc 1
XXX Disc 2

The game only works with different names. Renaming for XXX Disc A / B makes the game start properly but without the disc swapping function. Unfortunately, RE Zero and Remake do not save before the disc swapping like most games.
alex90

Post by alex90 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:00 am

Just want to say thank you to all developers behind Swiss up to this point. Very excited about this new 'alternative read method for SDGecko' feature. Cutscenes in many games are now working much better and in Resident Evil Code Veronica X there is no green flickering anymore.