Swiss Nightly Build

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
Joybit

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by Joybit » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:25 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
Joybit wrote: EDIT: I have tried booting both units without the BBA and there was no DSI exception. Having just the GBP was fine.
EDIT 2: I also tried booting with the BBA installed but no cable plugged in and everything was fine again. I guess it's not handling network initialization well?
New build posted, please try again. Device detection speed should also be improved in this version.
No more DSI exceptions and the SD Gecko appears to initialize faster, so we're all set :D

Also, question about IDE-EXI support, is it possible to get results that are comparable to a drive emulator? I'm sure it'll be a while before we are at that point, I was just curious.
EDIT: Also, would it be possible to allow copying between JP format and US format memory cards? This would be a pretty nice feature ;)
Douglie007

Post by Douglie007 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:12 pm

I know I can rip ISOS with the Wii, can you do it with Swiss?
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:29 pm

Douglie007 wrote:I know I can rip ISOS with the Wii, can you do it with Swiss?
yes but i would recommend using cleanrip which is also made by emu_kidid
Sierron

Post by Sierron » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:18 pm

Joybit wrote:EDIT: Also, would it be possible to allow copying between JP format and US format memory cards? This would be a pretty nice feature
I already reported that the SJIS formated MC's don't work and emu_kidid said that he need to rewrite something for that.
Own a couple PAL and JPN cubes. And three BBAs. Homeland and PSO I/II.
Joybit

Post by Joybit » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:36 pm

Sierron wrote:
Joybit wrote:EDIT: Also, would it be possible to allow copying between JP format and US format memory cards? This would be a pretty nice feature
I already reported that the SJIS formated MC's don't work and emu_kidid said that he need to rewrite something for that.
As far as I know, he's already in the middle of a MC rewrite, I'm just asking if it could be a feature down the line.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:18 pm

I read through the thread and haven't seen anyone with the same issue (although user "benjamin" a couple pages back has something similar).

Nightly Build Version: r366
Hardware: Unmodded NTSC GC (DOL-101) with S-Video
Hardware configuration: Action Replay (SDML) with SD Memory Card
Using a variety of SD cards (see below)
Boot method: Boot to SDML and then launch Swiss from the SD card.
Info: I can successfully boot Swiss just fine (and launch actual discs just fine from it). However, it does not want to recognize the SD card or display the file manager for any of the SD cards I have thrown at it:
1. Sandisk SD (not HC) 2 gig
2. Toshiba SD (not HC) 2 gig
3. Kingston SDHC (swap after Swiss launches) 16 gig

I have tried permutations on all of the following:
* Tried in Slot A and Slot B
* Tried 16mhz and 32mhz
* Tried "Compatible" and "Fast" options

I note that it has not created a Swiss.INI file on any of the cards. The only Swiss file present is the Swiss_r366.dol file, and I've tried it as an autoexec.dol as well.

I feel like I must be missing something very obvious here, but I'm not sure what. That Swiss will boot from SDML on the same SD card makes me think I may have forgotten to include a file or something else critical to I/O.
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:33 pm

is it possible something has happened to your sd card reader? first i would try putting a memory card in the slot instead and seeing if it shows up in the gamecube bios and if it does then you know its not the slot then i would take the case off the sd card reader and check that if your using the one that comes with the sd media launcher then it may be that i bought mine brand new from codejunkies i think it was and the sd reader didnt really work very well so i bought a sd gecko and that worked perfect
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:28 pm

SavagePencil wrote:I feel like I must be missing something very obvious here, but I'm not sure what. That Swiss will boot from SDML on the same SD card makes me think I may have forgotten to include a file or something else critical to I/O.
Nothing of the sort is required. Does Swiss inform you of any failure or take a while (more than 1 sec) to return to the device selection menu when you attempt to read from SD? Is this a recent trend or has Swiss never worked with your SD cards?
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:34 am

Swiss takes a long while (10s?) before aborting. I'd swear something flashes but it disappears so quickly that I can't read it. Maybe I'll try to run it through a capture card to see if I can catch it.

This is my first time using Swiss. Other .DOL files load from SDML, but I've only tried the GBI variants.

I've done both FAT16 & FAT32 formats (Win 10, not using Quick Format).
patters

Post by patters » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:07 pm

I recently dug out my GC after several years of not using it and was keen to try out Swiss. It's amazing how quickly it initialises compared to SD-Boot. But I literally cannot believe what it is capable of. Seeing Wind Waker run in 576p with Widescreen set to Yes (no distortion of UI bitmaps) is just incredible. It's like the game has been remastered. Hats off Emu_kidid and Extrems, tremendous work! This enhances so many other titles. Crazy Taxi looks great in Widescreen and prog scan, and Soul Calibur II is incredible also.

The only thing r366 can't do is launch the US Animal Crossing 26.9MB GCM rip from SD card. It hangs just after at the prog scan menu. It works using Swiss 0.3. r366 will boot the same exact GCM from a multiboot disc I made though, not sure if that gives a clue to what the issue may be.

Also, is it possible to have Swiss jump to a particular folder on the SD Card, like how SD-Boot always opened /gcgames?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:57 am

Welcome back patters, did you notice the audio streaming from SD card?
patters

Post by patters » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:09 am

It's not something I've tried yet, as most of my games are original PAL titles. I had later ahem 'acquired' the US NTSC versions later purely to get prog scan (all disc based), but it seems that now I don't need those thanks to Swiss. I guess the SD streaming is good news for when the laser unit finally dies as I can't imagine anyone will make replacement GC optical drives. My main interest in SD-Boot/Swiss was for the homebrew because the 8 and 16bit emus felt so much better on a console than a PC, but I think I'll actually continue playing Wind Waker now. I only ever got up to 7 hearts or so, so I have lots of mileage left in it. My particular favourite though is PacMan Vs. I even had to hack my own GC-GBMicro link cable for that.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:16 am

the wii dvd drive can be used as an optical drive replacement and there are even "drive replacement" modchips
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:40 am

megalomaniac wrote:the wii dvd drive can be used as an optical drive replacement and there are even "drive replacement" modchips
Do you know if anyone has tried to make a custom 3d printed top for you to use a wii drive by any chance?

I'm thinking of buying a 3d printer anyway so just curious
patters

Post by patters » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:42 am

Just tried a small GCM file with audio streaming - Crazy Taxi - and it worked, but the SD card isn't fast enough to load in the textures during the attract sequence. The 2GB SD card I use for the Gamecube is quite old. I have newer ones but they're all formatted ExFat and they contain a lot of content so I don't want to erase them. Question - does the GC benefit from faster cards or does the SD Gecko quickly become the bottleneck? Is there a peak viable class of SD card to use?
Also, is ExFat support a possible future addition or will it bloat the RAM requirement for the stay resident parts of swiss?
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:54 pm

Exfat is a proprietary file system so it's non trivial to implement, it shouldn't cause issues with the resident code though.

There are several factors that limit the reading speed, the best you can do is use a card that can run in 32MHz mode. Class doesn't matter as that only specifies the write speed.
patters

Post by patters » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:01 pm

There are open source exFAT implementations, it's not a reverse engineering issue. It's patent encumbered, which is a different problem. However, emu_kidid isn't trying to make any money from swiss so in this case I wouldn't expect it to be an obstacle. Also, in many jurisdictions outside the USA, software patents are non-enforceable. Not sure about Australia.

My old 2GB card is already ok at 32MHz, but I was wondering if a better class would also affect read speeds. I thought they scaled in line with write, and were normally double the write speed or so.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:44 pm

SavagePencil wrote:Swiss takes a long while (10s?) before aborting. I'd swear something flashes but it disappears so quickly that I can't read it. Maybe I'll try to run it through a capture card to see if I can catch it.

This is my first time using Swiss. Other .DOL files load from SDML, but I've only tried the GBI variants.

I've done both FAT16 & FAT32 formats (Win 10, not using Quick Format).
....aaaaannnnnnd another vote for "the SD card reader that Datel provides is terrible." New SD card reader off eBay boots everything properly.
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:08 am

Hi! New member here and recently getting into the scene. Because I'm fairly new, I'm using all of the latest versions of homebrew/dol files, including SWISS - I've never used anything except r366.

I've noticed the SWISS Compatibility List, and I understand that it's user maintained - found an item in particular that seems incorrect and would like to report it here.

I did some testing with a user on reddit, /u/SwervinGirvin - we determined (him mostly) that everything after revision 296 failed to boot F-Zero. He mentioned r334, r342, r364 as some examples, all of which I have never used personally - but wanted to spread this information to you in hopes of reporting the bug.

Apologies if this isn't the best way of reporting this information to you, still learning things over here. I tried everything I could with a validated NTSC ISO, and even attempted an EU ISO just in case.. and had no luck on either. He was able to use a known good ISO to validate it worked with 296.

Let me know if you have any other questions or can provide any further detail on this. Thanks for your hard work
Last edited by boktai1000 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:11 am

patters wrote:I recently dug out my GC after several years of not using it and was keen to try out Swiss. It's amazing how quickly it initialises compared to SD-Boot. But I literally cannot believe what it is capable of. Seeing Wind Waker run in 576p with Widescreen set to Yes (no distortion of UI bitmaps) is just incredible. It's like the game has been remastered. Hats off Emu_kidid and Extrems, tremendous work! This enhances so many other titles. Crazy Taxi looks great in Widescreen and prog scan, and Soul Calibur II is incredible also.

The only thing r366 can't do is launch the US Animal Crossing 26.9MB GCM rip from SD card. It hangs just after at the prog scan menu. It works using Swiss 0.3. r366 will boot the same exact GCM from a multiboot disc I made though, not sure if that gives a clue to what the issue may be.

Also, is it possible to have Swiss jump to a particular folder on the SD Card, like how SD-Boot always opened /gcgames?
Hi patters,

I wanted to report to you that I'm actually using an NTSC Animal Crossing ISO that was shrunk using GCMUtility with the Action Replay SD Gecko, on both a SanDisk 2GB "for Wii" SD Card, and a Patriot LX 32GB SD Card with success on the latest version of SWISS as of this writing r366. Let me know what further information you need, this is all running on an NTSC GameCube using the Action Replay SD Launcher disk.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:49 am

boktai1000 wrote:Hi! New member here and recently getting into the scene. Because I'm fairly new, I'm using all of the latest versions of homebrew/dol files, including SWISS - I've never used anything except r366.

I've noticed the SWISS Compatibility List, and I understand that it's user maintained - found an item in particular that seems incorrect and would like to report it here.

I did some testing with a user on reddit, /u/SwervinGirvin - we determined (him mostly) that everything after revision 296 failed to boot F-Zero. He mentioned r334, r342, r364 as some examples, all of which I have never used personally - but wanted to spread this information to you in hopes of reporting the bug.

Apologies if this isn't the best way of reporting this information to you, still learning things over here. I tried everything I could with a validated NTSC ISO, and even attempted an EU ISO just in case.. and had no luck on either. He was able to use a known good ISO to validate it worked with 296.

Let me know if you have any other questions or can provide any further detail on this. Thanks for your hard work
I've noticed F-Zero is broken (from SDGecko) but hadn't narrowed down when it broke, thanks for that.
patters

Post by patters » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:28 am

Hi, now that I've done a bit more testing I've realised that Animal Crossing does work, it's just that it takes quite a long time to load with a black screen. That seems odd, because it was much quicker with sd-boot.

Does swiss only default to the root folder on the SD card, or is there a magic folder name it will jump to if it exists (like /gcgames for SD-boot)? A parameter in swiss.ini in a future version perhaps?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:29 am

It defaults to the root - maybe some day it will allow any path.

SD-Boot performed reads in bulk, Swiss (currently) breaks them up into smaller pieces to avoid audio stutter but as a result it can result in certain reads taking longer
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi emu_kidid, I have a small request to make. Do you think that you could host multiple revisions of SWISS on your GitHub page? For example if you take a look at some other projects, you can look at older versions and compare changes and even test older versions for regression testing.

As of right now, unless you managed to save an old download or know someone with a previous version, there's no way that we as users can do testing to find out what version a game may have broken on, leaving that up to you to find out yourself and then leaving users with whatever games work / don't work on the current version that's posted on the forum.

Example: take a look at the SNES9XGX Release on GitHub - I'm not 100% sure as I don't use GitHub on a regular basis if this would require you to pay with your account, but even just the same concept applied elsewhere would be helpful. See here- https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/releases
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:15 am

Yeah - definitely plan to, just haven't got around to it.