Where to download "SwissFlasher.gcm" for wkf downgrade?

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
keropi

Where to download "SwissFlasher.gcm" for wkf downgrade?

Post by keropi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:12 am

Hiya!

I am trying to downgrade my 1.5 wkf to 1.0 so I have autoboot but I can't seem to find the SwissFlasher.gcm that I need to put in my wbfs sd...
Am I blind or is it hidden/renamed to something else? I am just following the wiki guide here: http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... sion_Flash

TIA!
keropi

Re: Where to download "SwissFlasher.gcm" for wkf downgrade?

Post by keropi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:03 am

Okie, found this info and it works - still did not flash anything though just load swiss->swissflasher and see files in SD -
megalomaniac wrote:try using these files: viewtopic.php?p=17633#p17633
watch the video for full instructions

basic instructions:
use swiss r174 iso on WBFS card
during reboot remove WBFS card and insert FAT SD card.
exit WKF device in swiss menu and go to SD GECKO
use swiss to start swissflasher.dol
then select the swissr214.fzn

note: fzn and fzn.fw must be in the same directory
will it work with swiss_r221(pal).fzn + swiss_r221(pal).fzn.fw and go from 1.5 to 1.0 with autoboot?

ps. the video is great but it's tutorial conflicts with the one on the wiki imho
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:43 am

All files you need are here to get started:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1281&start=84

This includes the flasher file as well as the files to downgrade the firmware. Don't bother with wkf_10_restore that will bring your wkf back to default everything. Once you have swiss on your system copy the flasher and the .fzn / .fw files to your sd card. Load up swiss with your wkf. The sd card must be in a sd gecko for this to work, it won't work using the wiikey fusion sd slot. First run the flasher on the sd gecko card, next run the .fzn from the sd gecko slot, it should also update the .fw. Worked great for me.
keropi

Post by keropi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:15 pm

did that, boot r174 and the then from sd-gecko the flasher and it flashed both fw/menu of swiss_pal_r221 ... now when it boots I get a "disc could not be read" error...
went back to 1.5 via recovery method for now... I must be doing something wrong
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:36 pm

keropi wrote:did that, boot r174 and the then from sd-gecko the flasher and it flashed both fw/menu of swiss_pal_r221 ... now when it boots I get a "disc could not be read" error...
went back to 1.5 via recovery method for now... I must be doing something wrong
After you load the autoboot firmware it will give an error if you fire up the system with no sd card inserted in the wiikey fusion slot. Stick a fat32 formatted sd card in the slot when it boots with autoboot. Since it's doing autoboot it's the same effect as hitting the wiikey switch on the back without a sd card inserted. I freaked out at first too thinking I did something wrong, then I tried firing up the system with some random fat32 sd card in the slot and it works great.

By the way you don't need to flash swiss pal, I flashed swiss ntsc menu and firmware. Maybe this is why metroid prime isn't working for me?
keropi

Post by keropi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:56 pm

dunno man, I tried with FAT32 card in the wkf slot... tried 2 cards tbh
none worked... maybe I need to first flash swiss as menu on 1.5 and then via that go to 1.0 like megalomaniac is doing on his video
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:09 pm

keropi wrote:dunno man, I tried with FAT32 card in the wkf slot... tried 2 cards tbh
none worked... maybe I need to first flash swiss as menu on 1.5 and then via that go to 1.0 like megalomaniac is doing on his video
Yeah that's what I do I flash swiss with the 1.5 firmware. Then I fire up swiss and flash the 1.0 firmware with swiss r221 from the sd gecko slot and it works great. I use the ntsc file, I tried pal, they both work the same.

I highlight sd gecko slot because doing it from the wiikey fusion sd slot doesn't work with updating the firmware. Still, you're able to ruin the firmware from the wiikey fusion slot, just not update it properly.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:29 pm

Minor bug that will need investigation before validating flashing firmware from WKF slot..
For now, must use SD Gecko to flash firmware

Menu = .fzn
Firmware = .fzn.fw
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
keropi

Post by keropi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:37 pm

well it seems something is terribly wrong here... I can see the "linux" disc when I hit the pin29 button , press start to load it and then I get the eternal blank screen... even the 1.2 recovery SD has this problem.
I am almost at the point of binning everything.

now beginning to get a solid blue led on wkf and the red error screen after a while.
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:43 pm

keropi wrote:well it seems something is terribly wrong here... I can see the "linux" disc when I hit the pin29 button , press start to load it and then I get the eternal blank screen... even the 1.2 recovery SD has this problem.
I am almost at the point of binning everything.

now beginning to get a solid blue led on wkf and the red error screen after a while.
Don't worry, I did the same thing, multipile times. I perma bricked my wiikey fusion many times. Download this:

download/file.php?id=974

Read the text file thoroughly. You need to download the program dd and if you do it right you'll make a sd card that will restore your wiikey fusion back to 1.2.

Here's the link to download "dd":

http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.5.zip

I renamed the restore file in that first link to just wkf.iso

I'm using windows xp, in a dos prompt I go to the folder with dd and wkf.iso (I put them both in the root because I'm lazy). I type in "dd --list" to get a list of drives to find my sd card device. Here's what I get:

No problemo. Drive "f" on my computer is my sd card. So I next type this:

dd if=wkf.iso of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 bs=1M

if means probably "input file" and of "output file".

Typing this made my sd card able to restore the bricked wiikey fusion every time. The letter "M" at the end of the command line is case sensitive, I'm not sure if anything else is but that's exactly how I typed it. Don't bother trying to browse your sd card after it's done dd will kill the format of the drive. Drop it into your wiikey fusion sd slot, boot the machine up, hit the switch if you need to do that, but trust me, it'll restore your system.
Last edited by Drakon on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keropi

Post by keropi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:48 pm

^ I already tried that and made a 1.2 recovery SD that I used to recover once.
Now the wkf won't read anything. It will boot with a solid blue led and stay there. Even if pin29 is not connected to anything the led will be solid blue. There is no way I can make it to start reading the sd....
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:50 pm

keropi wrote:^ I already tried that and made a 1.2 recovery SD that I used to recover once.
Now the wkf won't read anything. It will boot with a solid blue led and stay there. Even if pin29 is not connected to anything the led will be solid blue. There is no way I can make it to start reading the sd....
Sounds like a bad hardware connection somewhere. Before I soldered my wiikey fusion right I'd get that happening sometimes. Check your ribbon seating and solder work. Heck with one or two bad solder connections I even managed to get games to run and then they would randomly freeze at interesting places.

Also if you did succeed in going to wiikey fusion 1.2, format a sd card with the wbfs manager and copy only the wiikey fusion 1.5 update to your wbfs formatted sd card in the wbfs file manager. See if that loads. When my wiikey fusion has firmware 1.2 the only thing it will load without giving me a get header error is the 1.5 update. I encountered a solid blue LED many times, every time it was had hardware connections and not software.

You tried the pin 29 switch right? I assume pin 29 is the lid switch sensor. You don't want to just leave it disconnected, you want to use a switch to change it to open and then back to closed for the wiikey fusion to fire up. Still, I think I only got a solid blue LED when there was a bad hardware connection to the wiikey. I had to resolder my wiikey fusion a few times before I got it right.

Get a cool beer (or your favourite refreshing drink of choice) and recheck / redo the wiring / ribbon seating of your wiikey. I did it a few times and eventually I got it right. Check that the ribbon isn't pinched or too folded anywhere. Unless you shorted ground and vcc somewhere it should always be possible to get your wiikey going again.

On a side note, before I switched to swiss after going into the wiikey menu and selecting a game upon rebooting it would sometimes crash. Once I switched to using swiss this problem went away, winsauce.

Another thing I learned. It's best to flash the wiikey with build 221 from here:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1375

It's the latest build, and yes it includes autoboot. If you want to use older builds don't flash them, just run the .dol or .iso of older builds in your flashed r221.
Last edited by Drakon on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 13 times in total.
keropi

Post by keropi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:53 pm

^ yeah I'll check it allright... by getting a megadrive... I already fuxxored the fpc connector when I solder it, not gonna spent more time with it because it might happen that the whole gc gets burned LOL
thanks for all your time spending to help Drakon :)
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:40 pm

keropi wrote:^ yeah I'll check it allright... by getting a megadrive... I already fuxxored the fpc connector when I solder it, not gonna spent more time with it because it might happen that the whole gc gets burned LOL
thanks for all your time spending to help Drakon :)
Well I guess that explains it. I got rid of the ribbon entirely and soldered straight to the asic, I don't recommend doing that mind you. You picked a good time I just went through all this stuff myself so it's all fresh in my mind. If this has been a few months later I probably wouldn't be nearly so helpful.