Metroid Prime not working with swiss

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
Drakon

Metroid Prime not working with swiss

Post by Drakon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:13 pm

My system is running a wiikey fusion flashed with swiss r221 and wkf firmware 1.0 for autoboot. All games run fine except for metroid prime. Metroid prime gets stuck on "reading ..."

If I first scroll to another iso like f-zero, hit "a" to get the picture and info about it, then back out, then try metroid prime, metroid prime will instead freeze at "reset base offset .." after it loads the iso.

I just loaded the swiss 0.3 r174 dol file, metroid prime runs fine from that.

Just to really illustrate the point, here's a youtube captured video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMSGc0Dn ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Drakon on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
megalomaniac

Re: Metroid Prime not working with swiss

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Check your results against r216
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:42 pm

megalomaniac wrote:Check your results against r216
Have a link? Here it only goes as low as 217:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1375
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:21 pm

something is screwed up, why are they all reporting a 0x00000000 sector base offset?
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:18 pm

emu_kidid wrote:something is screwed up, why are they all reporting a 0x00000000 sector base offset?
All I know is older builds don't have this problem so I don't think it's an issue with my hardware.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:16 am

I'll re-test on my WKF cube tomorrow, thanks for letting me know.
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:05 am

emu_kidid wrote:I'll re-test on my WKF cube tomorrow, thanks for letting me know.
My pleasure. I'm using a dol 001 ipl 1.1 according to the swiss menu. I like to help people develop new solutions for classic hardware in any way I can.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:23 am

Fixed in r235.
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:00 pm

emu_kidid wrote:Fixed in r235.
Awesome, where do I get r235 from?
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:07 pm

If its not a major official release you have to build it yourself. Or wait for the "nightly build" to be updated.
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:47 am

Ashen wrote:If its not a major official release you have to build it yourself. Or wait for the "nightly build" to be updated.
Wait I shall.
piratesephiroth

Post by piratesephiroth » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:22 am

Drakon wrote:
Ashen wrote:If its not a major official release you have to build it yourself. Or wait for the "nightly build" to be updated.
Wait I shall.
It's extremely easy to compile it yourself...
GillBert

Post by GillBert » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:39 am

piratesephiroth wrote: It's extremely easy to compile it yourself...
I've just saw your compiling guide here... Very nice, I'll try it out. Thanks!
Sizednochi

Post by Sizednochi » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:30 am

Drakon wrote: Wait I shall.
Hahaha, kinda off-topic, but I recognize your avatar/username. You fixed up that awesome Mario Land 2 DX patch, right? Also the Metroid II full colour patch! I'd like to say thanks - I'm in debt forever.

Anyway, Metroid Prime is working fine here since r174, it's a bit heavy on loading though, so it lags quite a lot.
NNSS32

Post by NNSS32 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:50 am

Hey, that happens to me with Wind Waker and Mario Kart. If I let it read for a while, then turn off the cube, the start menu will show either Wind Waker or Mario Kart (this depends on what was being read as I shut off the cube) as the inserted disk, not swiss. A minor inconvenience, but I still get to play the game, so what the heck. (A fix would be appreciated though.) On another SD card (the same type as the one I used with the long reading issue one) Mario Kart will boot up fine, but Wind Waker will still be stuck in reading limbo.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:19 pm

Lag from SDGecko is to be expected. OP was talking about Wiikey Fusion
NNSS32

Post by NNSS32 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:12 pm

I was talking about Wiikey as well. Let me make myself clearer. In the swiss menu, if I select Mario Kart, the screen says 'reading' and never progresses from there. The only way to get out is to shut off my Gamecube. When I turn it on again, instead of the gameplay menu showing swiss as the inserted disk, the game that was previously stuck in 'reading' mode is shown as the inserted disk. When I hit start, the game runs as though nothing had happened. On a different SD card with the same games, Mario Kart does not get stuck in reading, it loads normally. However, Wind Waker still experiences this issue. Its strange, and I may document it soon. Perhaps this will help with Swiss research. Sorry for the confusion. :)
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:41 pm

NNSS32 wrote:I was talking about Wiikey as well. Let me make myself clearer. In the swiss menu, if I select Mario Kart, the screen says 'reading' and never progresses from there. The only way to get out is to shut off my Gamecube. When I turn it on again, instead of the gameplay menu showing swiss as the inserted disk, the game that was previously stuck in 'reading' mode is shown as the inserted disk. When I hit start, the game runs as though nothing had happened. On a different SD card with the same games, Mario Kart does not get stuck in reading, it loads normally. However, Wind Waker still experiences this issue. Its strange, and I may document it soon. Perhaps this will help with Swiss research. Sorry for the confusion. :)
that sounds like a WKF hardware connection issue, not swiss related
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
NNSS32

Post by NNSS32 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:10 am

aww maan. lol ok then
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:24 am

megalomaniac wrote:
NNSS32 wrote:I was talking about Wiikey as well. Let me make myself clearer. In the swiss menu, if I select Mario Kart, the screen says 'reading' and never progresses from there. The only way to get out is to shut off my Gamecube. When I turn it on again, instead of the gameplay menu showing swiss as the inserted disk, the game that was previously stuck in 'reading' mode is shown as the inserted disk. When I hit start, the game runs as though nothing had happened. On a different SD card with the same games, Mario Kart does not get stuck in reading, it loads normally. However, Wind Waker still experiences this issue. Its strange, and I may document it soon. Perhaps this will help with Swiss research. Sorry for the confusion. :)
that sounds like a WKF hardware connection issue, not swiss related

hmmmm...after reading over your description again, im not sure what the issue could be...
one sd card works and the other doesnt...so maybe its SD related and hardware related..

note: if you power off the GC, then WKF should be powered off also but you state the previous selected iso is loaded...you better check your power supply or batteries because it sounds like the WKF continues to receive power when you switch the GC off..

also, redump your isos in case the ones you are currently using are pre-patched from an older version of swiss

Image Image Image
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:13 am

Sizednochi wrote:
Drakon wrote: Wait I shall.
Hahaha, kinda off-topic, but I recognize your avatar/username. You fixed up that awesome Mario Land 2 DX patch, right? Also the Metroid II full colour patch! I'd like to say thanks - I'm in debt forever.

Anyway, Metroid Prime is working fine here since r174, it's a bit heavy on loading though, so it lags quite a lot.
Yes that's me, I found it odd that marioland 2 dx had been in a crashing state since 2006 and in a very short amount of time I figured out how to fix the bug. Myself + spikeman also got marioland full colour version going on real hardware. I don't think my non gc work belongs on this forum so you can always join my forum to see some of the other fun / crazy projects I've been involved with, the link is in my signature.

I don't think my problem is because of wiikey connectivity since I can load an older swiss.dol and the game runs fine.