Guide: How to build the latest Swiss nightly build

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
piratesephiroth

Guide: How to build the latest Swiss nightly build

Post by piratesephiroth » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:22 am

Remember:
megalomaniac wrote:While the Nightly Builds incorporate the latest features and/or fixes added, it is possible that some unexpected events could be introduced. Finding any new issues and pointing them out quickly using these Nightly Builds is essential to provide overall improvements. If any MAJOR issues are introduced in a Nightly Build, it will probably be fixed very quickly in a subsequent Nightly Build. Remember: feedback is essential.
They're always testing new things so expect the unexpected. There might be new features but no guarantee of stability. If you find some new bug just kindly report it at the appropriate thread.

It's very easy to compile the latest build yourself... (at least on Windows)

1- Install devkitPro (instructions here)

2- Get something to download the latest source code (I recommend DownloadSVN. It's a simple executable... you don't need to install anything)
How to use DownloadSVN:
Put this as the 'SVN source url': http://swiss-gc.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
Pick a folder to save the files (preferably at the root of a drive and with no spaces in the folder name, like X:\SWISS-SOURCE)
Leave the 'Type' as SVN.
Hit 'Start'.
Wait until it's finished and hit 'OK'.

3- You'll need to compile the custom libfat swiss uses. Go to X:\SWISS-SOURCE\cube\libfat-frag\src and run make there (you can navigate to that folder in a console window and run make OR you can simply make a bat file with the text make inside and double click it... just don't name it make.bat :roll:)

Now copy this new libfat.a you just created (it's in X:\SWISS-SOURCE\cube\libfat-frag\src\libogc\lib\cube) to your devkitPro installation (C:\devkitPro\libogc\lib\cube)

4- Now you need to download D0llz3
Copy the dollz3 executable to X:\SWISS-SOURCE\cube\swiss
Rename it to d0lz.exe (yeah, with a zero and a single L... I guess they saved that file with a wrong name)

5- Now go to C:\devkitPro\devkitPPC\bin and copy the elf2dol.exe to your X:\SWISS-SOURCE\cube\swiss

6- Finally , just go to X:\SWISS-SOURCE\cube\swiss and double click makeme.bat

You may get some warnings like 'make: svnversion: Command not found' because you don't have svn installed but it's not relevant if you only want the latest build.

After a short while you'll have your brand new swiss-lz.dol ready to be used!
All the compiled DOL files can be found at X:\SWISS-SOURCE\cube\swiss\dist
Last edited by piratesephiroth on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
megalomaniac

Re: Guide: How to build the latest Swiss nightly build

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:16 am

great guide, i hope this helps others learn how to compile

also, fyi...
if you notice, swiss svn is being updated with a lot of new code changes...multiple times a day...
this means emu_kidid is doing a lot of work right now and i would guess by looking at the changes that he is adding, fixing, rewriting, and fixing the rewrites....
nightly build releases are currently put on hold because of this...
once emu_kidid gives the go ahead to continue nightly build distributions, they will be posted once again
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:56 pm

Yeah I'll just wait, the version I have now from the nightly builds thread is good enough until stuff gets worked out.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:34 am

The D0llz3 step is new to me. Is it a recent addition?

To compile Swiss I just go to X:\SWISS-SOURCE\cube\swiss in a console window and run make.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs