Custom textures with swiss-gc

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
Cynderusz

Custom textures with swiss-gc

Post by Cynderusz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:20 pm

I was wondering how you can run some Super Mario Sunshine custom texture packs using Swiss's widescreen hack? When I load up Swiss first, the texture is loaded for Swiss, and not Super Mario Sunshine. It's tricked into thinking Swiss is SMS... Is there any fix on this? I've searched the internet and found nothing comprehendable, at all
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Custom textures with swiss-gc

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:35 am

Can you please explain what the issue/feature request is? I'm not understanding it correctly.
Cynderusz

Post by Cynderusz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:46 pm

I'm sorry if I'm confusing you, so I'll try to explain more thoroughly.

In Dolphin, if you located the 'Dolphin Emulator' file in your libraries>documents, there will be a file named 'Load' in that file, you can add custom texture packs that artists create. You then have to go into Dolphin build and go to Graphics option, then go into advanced and select 'Load Custom Textures' - the description "Load custom textures from User/Load/Textures/<game_id>/. Unfortunately, you and I both know that Dolphin's widescreen hack is very buggy. When I try to load the custom texture, there's an overscan of heatwaves in Super Mario Sunshine. When I try to boot up .DOL firstly, and use your widescreen hack, the textures will not load. This is simply because Dolphin is reading the .DOL firstly over the ISO and is looking for the textures on Swiss-GC. I currently do not know if there's a way to use Swiss whilst loading the custom textures correctly.
Cynderusz

Post by Cynderusz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:54 pm

On that note, there was a similar post on Dolphin's website >

RE: Widescreen Hack Fix (involves a backup-loader)
I'm using the high-res pack for Super Mario Sunshine
If I boot the game with swiss-gc, Dolphin does not load the custom textures anymore ..
Does anyone know a solution?

-

Reply: Modify the .dol for SMS, referencing the source for Swiss on how to do it, or do a ram dump and grab the changes Swiss made from that ram dump. Insert dol into iso. Use cheats as normal.

Unfortunately I wouldn't know how to do what the reply says, maybe if you could give me a detailed description?
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:43 pm

Use a proper widescreen fix for the specific game instead of the widescreen hack or swiss, e.g. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2016
Cynderusz

Post by Cynderusz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:39 pm

I'll give it a try, but I still want a work around for Swiss. Swiss is a very convenient hack. How would I go about using these codes?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:22 pm

you need an action replay disc to use these codes...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:39 am

mega: He's using Dolphin...

Right-click on the game in the gamelist, go to properties and select the "AR Codes" tab.
Cynderusz

Post by Cynderusz » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:56 pm

So I guess there's no support for Swiss with this? At all? It might be a cool idea to make a build with a support for textures in the future.
Cynderusz

Post by Cynderusz » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Also, I cannot use these codes. They're for PAL, I'm using NTSC on a Dolphin emulator.

P.S Used the codes for NTSC, and they seem not to do anything different than what the original 16:9 aspect ratio gives you. The aspect is out of proportion.
Last edited by Cynderusz on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:04 pm

Implementing it in swiss would be silly since a real console wouldn't support it...
Just go look up the NTSC version of the game for the right codes.
Cynderusz

Post by Cynderusz » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:11 pm

Well the AR Codes don't work, and the widescreen hack in Dolphin gives you massive bugs. So I guess it wouldn't be silly to implement it in the only thing that actually works...
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:55 pm

Have you read what tueidj posted? "a real console wouldn't support it"
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:07 pm

Swiss isn't meant to be used in Dolphin anyway. You get all its features directly in Dolphin.
ZetRawk

Post by ZetRawk » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:40 am

1 year later... and some say that using custom textures and ar codes weren't possible. Well it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwr9zHocrI

1. Go into Documents → Dolphin Emulator → Load → Textures.

2. Make a folder called 00000000 , that means 8 zeros.

3. Copy your custom texture into there. You can also make a folder with the name of your games if you want to be organized.

4. Startup Dolphin. To enable AR/Gecko Codes, on Dolphin menu, right-click on TimeSplitters 2 → Properties → AR Codes and/or Gecko Codes tab → Close. Codes won't work with Swiss-GC if you don't do this for some reason.

5. Now from Dolphin upper right corner, go to Open → swiss_r330.dol. Then from Dolphin go to file → Change Disc... → pick your game like TimeSplitters 2 → from Swiss-GC, press A to load TimeSplitters 2 → press A again → press X for Settings → Force Widescreen: Persp → Save & Exit → Press A to start&play!

6. Lastly, to load custom textures, from Dolphin, go to Graphics → Advanced → ☑ Load Custom Textures.

Now how'd I figure this out? I enabled dump textures from the .dol and it created the folder called "00000000". So I moved that folder into Load, add my custom textures, and voilà!