Swiss won't load ISOs from SD card

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
Walkies

Swiss won't load ISOs from SD card

Post by Walkies » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:59 am

Hi :)

I was given a NGC several months ago, and am still struggling with it. I bought SDML and it initially worked well for loading burnt DVD media. It doesn't load really any of those disks anymore (except one.) That's not my issue, however. I did learn from these forums (Megalomaniac's words) how to load SDHC cards' data. I'm using a 2GB SD card to boot swiss with. So, the SDHC card can now load, as does the 2 GB card.
Wherever I place an ISO or more on a card (either the 2GB card, or swapping to the 16GB SDHC card I'm also using), they are detected. They will not load, however. I have 4 ISOs that I'm trying and none will boot. The closest I've gotten is where Super Mario Sunshine gives a green flash of the screen, but doesn't continue further. Star Fox Assault also makes the TV squeal in a high-pitched buzz.
Nothing loads.

I have been told to grab a NGC original game for cheap from eBay and to put that in the drive for extra compatibility. Will this magically solve my problems?
From the time I've spent with this console, I'm finding that I really love it. I have a PS2 from the same gen (obviously) and there's something that the Game Cube does or has that makes it a really nice console. It could be something as simple as the controller layout, but I'm sure you guys know of the kind of love that's growing between me and it :P

Any help or feedback would be incredibly appreciated. I know about the pot tuning, but would be happiest loading from SD.

Thanks heaps!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Swiss won't load ISOs from SD card

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:26 pm

What are you using to play backups from SD? Use the latest Swiss nightly build from here:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1375

Also, compatibility from SD Gecko is not 100% and some slowdown and sound issues are expected.
Walkies

Post by Walkies » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:38 am

I was initially trying with only the swiss_SDML. Wonderful that it's now actually reading my SDHC card. I already had Rev. 276 on the SDHC card but weren't loading it. Any work I attempt to do after loading it now is still fruitless - it hangs on a screen, "Reading SD in slot A". If it leaves this screen ever, it just goes back to the main swiss menu. Nothing has been loaded. It just doesn't add up what's actually going on here.
Walkies

Post by Walkies » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:51 am

Oh wow. Random brainstorming seems to have given me some luck!

As I had read elsewhere on these forums, the SDML cart that came with the SDML disk has issues. By chance, I have a WiiKey from when I owned a Wii (yet never used this cart.) When I insert that cart into slot A, and it contains the SDHC card, it works!!

Things seem rather sluggish in comparison to when I loaded them from disk. I know that I can actually load from a SDHC, or even just a SD, now.

Thanks again for your help! :D

Edit: It's very, very temperamental. ISOs do load from Slot A. The memory card can't be used as it only wants to be inserted in Slot A, which is busy running the ISO. I'm keen to explore this nice little gaming device with vigour :) TMNT (with cell-shading... oooh!) here I come!