Swiss & BBA

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
dekan

Swiss & BBA

Post by dekan » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:38 am

Hi. I've been trying to use my BBA with Swiss, but I cann't seem to get it to work. I've edited the swiss.ini file with the proper info, but all Swiss will reply with is: "Error initialising Samba". I've looked and searched for a few days now and there is no info that I can find. Could I ask for a little help? I use my network on other computers and mobiles all the time, so I do know that the shares on my server work perfectly fine.

Thanks in advance :)
dk
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Swiss & BBA

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:43 am

If you go to the info screen in swiss do you receive a valid IP on the 2nd page?

Also, as you might know, samba support is very limited, you can copy files to/from it and boot .dol files, but that's about it for now.
dekan

Post by dekan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:39 am

emu_kidid wrote:If you go to the info screen in swiss do you receive a valid IP on the 2nd page?
Yes. There's an normal IP (192.168.1.29) and the IP shows up in the devices list of the router so there's some negotiating going on. I've used both a wired and this little bridged wireless to wired network device that I have. Both give the same results. I'm convinced that it's in my setup.

The network part of the ini file is:

SMBShareName=ROMs\Nintendo\games
SMBHostIP=192.168.1.20

1.20 is my samba server. I've left the shareName option as just ROMs and a few other things and then the last was including the entire path as seen above. The username and password options are blank as this is an open read only share.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:50 am

Username and password is (stupidly) required
dekan

Post by dekan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:23 am

It's been awhile but I thought I'd try and give this another go. The BBA just will not work for me while in Swiss. I'm using the 321 version, edited the swiss.ini file with proper username/password and used the correct network path and ip of the host pc sharing the directory. I have a legit IP on the 2nd page of the info screen. when using the BBA option it continues to reply back "Error initialising Samba".

The bba works in other applications on the gamecube. I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing incorrect. Has anyone gotten this to work?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:08 am

how long is your password, there's also a stupid limit on that. what other applications are you using it in, any of them via Samba?
dekan

Post by dekan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:12 pm

It's been another while but I did manage to get this working. If someone else is having trouble, maybe this will help you out a little. I used the info supplied above (using short username/password and share names).

I run a CentOS server for my media in my house, so this is coming from a LINUX user.

First I added a user called game to my server: #adduser -M game
Then I added the user to a group called smbgrp: #adduser -g game smbgrp
Then I created a samba user and password: #smbpasswd -a game
entered the password: cube

I edited my smb.conf file to reflect my shared folder name along with the samba user:

[Gamecube]
path = /media/storage/proxy/roms/Nintendo/games
valid users = game @smbgrp
browsable = yes
writable = yes
guest ok = no

Then I edited the swiss.ini file putting this at the end of it (reflecting my share and network IP's):

SMBUserName=game
SMBPassword=cube
SMBShareName=Gamecube
SMBHostIP=192.168.1.20

and it all worked and navigated fine. The banners for all the cube .iso were there and also the emulation roms. I wish it would stream the game, itself, through the network. but all in time. I love this swiss thing :)

Thanks a million for this swiss loader :)
dekan
minorOffense

Post by minorOffense » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:58 pm

I'm looking to help test this feature out as well.

Curious though I can't find any docs on where to put the swiss.ini file in relation to the swiss.dol file on the memory card. Tried looking through the source and I can see the header file reading in the settings, but can't figure out from where :-S

Once I get this up and running I'd like to submit some patches to the project with some README.md files to help other people get setup.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:59 pm

Swiss.ini needs to go on the SD card. I'd need to write support to store it on memory card.