[Q] Just got new SD card, games still skip.

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
iwasaperson

[Q] Just got new SD card, games still skip.

Post by iwasaperson » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:43 pm

So I got a Sandisk Ultra Plus 32GB MicroSD 80 MB/s card plus adapter specifically because my other SD card was skipping on FMVs and streaming audio. This card is doing the same, and I don't know why. The adapter I'm using is a cheap Chinese one from AliExpress. Is there something wrong with that, or is it a different issue?

My games are also shrinked with GCMUtility, but I don't know if that's an issue.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: [Q] Just got new SD card, games still skip.

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:36 am

It's not your SD Card, it's the way the GameCube (not just yours but everyones) accesses the SD card via memory card ports and the EXI bus - it does not allow for DMA data transfers so instead what happens is time is taken away from the game itself in order for data to be transferred when the game requests it.

It'll take additional hardware to remedy this since it's a bug with the GameCube itself, long story short, your SD card is fine, if it really bothers you, use a Wii with something like Nintendont or Devolution.
iwasaperson

Post by iwasaperson » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:55 am

emu_kidid wrote:It's not your SD Card, it's the way the GameCube (not just yours but everyones) accesses the SD card via memory card ports and the EXI bus - it does not allow for DMA data transfers so instead what happens is time is taken away from the game itself in order for data to be transferred when the game requests it.

It'll take additional hardware to remedy this since it's a bug with the GameCube itself, long story short, your SD card is fine, if it really bothers you, use a Wii with something like Nintendont or Devolution.
Is there a good ODE that I could get instead? I already use a softmodded Wii, but would much rather use original hardware for the general feel if that makes any sense. I am comfortable with soldering if that is required.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:25 pm

iwasaperson wrote:
emu_kidid wrote:It's not your SD Card, it's the way the GameCube (not just yours but everyones) accesses the SD card via memory card ports and the EXI bus - it does not allow for DMA data transfers so instead what happens is time is taken away from the game itself in order for data to be transferred when the game requests it.

Is there a good ODE that I could get instead? I already use a softmodded Wii, but would much rather use original hardware for the general feel if that makes any sense. I am comfortable with soldering if that is required.
There's the WASP fusion but to interface it you'll need to either build your own adapter or buy one from badassconsoles.com. It can run Swiss as the default ISO too. Check around the Wiki/forums for more info.