Burned Swiss DVD-R reading error on DOL-101

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
gcboy

Burned Swiss DVD-R reading error on DOL-101

Post by gcboy » Sat May 20, 2017 2:01 pm

I posted a picture of the error at https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewt ... =16&t=3781

The problem when i turn on my Gamecube model DOL-101(later model w/ a single video output at the back) with the burned Swiss DVD i get a reading error but loads just fine after i hit the reset button. It does it this way everytime. This is not the case with a model DOL-001(earlier model w/ two video output at the back) even if i put the dvd drive from the DOL-101. I also tried the DOL-001 dvd drive to the DOL-101 and i get the same read error but works just fine after reset. So im guessing its not the dvd drive thats causing it.

All games including original japan and us games, burned games all work and load just fine without the need to reset.

I tried an uncompress Swiss dol and made a bootable disc but still the same.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Burned Swiss DVD-R reading error on DOL-101

Post by emu_kidid » Tue May 23, 2017 10:39 pm

DOL-101 GameCubes use a later version of the IPL and it has a disc init timeout coded into it. What that means is that if your disc hasn't initialised/spun up/been detected within the timeout it'll throw an error. If you hit reset, it's possible the drive is spinning faster or the disc has initialised by that point and hence it boots.

The real question is why is it taking so long to detect your disc. Is the laser on its last legs so to speak?
novenary

Re: Burned Swiss DVD-R reading error on DOL-101

Post by novenary » Wed May 24, 2017 8:03 am

"The disc could not be read" is a recoverable error in the IPL. It will retry reading if you swap the disc or push the reset button (regardless of errors in fact), and it won't cause a drive reset, so no need to spin the disc up again.