swiss and SD-microdSD

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
Mills

swiss and SD-microdSD

Post by Mills » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:51 am

Hi.

I just wanted to share my tests with swiss and sd cards.

I got a microSD + microSD to SD adater, and decided to test it with my GameCube and SD gecko.

These are my accesories:

To load swiss on my non-modded GC, I need a regular SD, because the sd launcher won't find the microSD.
Once swiss is loaded, you can insert the microSD inside the SD adapter, and swiss will find it.

That microSD is a class 4, and I was afraid it could not load the games fast enough.

I tested Starfox adventures and luigi's mansion and they worked just perfect, no issue, no slowdown, so the class 4 micro sd is enough for games I guess :).

The Simpsons Hit & Run has some issues (they are at the compatibility list) But generating a good iso reduced a lot the slowdowns, and the game was nearly perfect, even the video streamed cutscenes worked at normal speed without sound issues. Also Smashing drive is known to have issues, but it also loaded from the microSD.

I could test a micro SD class 10 and it didn't make any improvement compared to the class 4, the Simpsons Hit & Run has the same slowdowns when driving fast.

Also in swiss menu, ide speed was set to 32 MHz in both cards.
novenary

Re: swiss and SD-microdSD

Post by novenary » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Faster cards won't really make a difference with Swiss because 1) EXI is slower than what even the slowest cards can put out and 2) SD access and the game starve each other for CPU time.
Mills

Re: swiss and SD-microdSD

Post by Mills » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:06 pm

Streetwalker wrote:Faster cards won't really make a difference with Swiss because 1) EXI is slower than what even the slowest cards can put out and 2) SD access and the game starve each other for CPU time.
So racing games that need to constantly load the 3d world (like simpsons hit and run) will allways have issues?.
The last swiss release loads everything really fast, for example the loading screen in the simpsons H&R lasted about 3 seconds... I think i'll have to test some really demanding games.
Then the best solution would be a hardware mod I guess, or finding original minidvd games :).