Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
Post Reply
User avatar
GGNderbomb
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by GGNderbomb » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:06 pm

Hey guys, so I've had this problem for a while. I would boot up swiss via sd media launcher and switch my swiss sd card for the one I had my games on. When I tried to load my isos from my games sd card, one of two things would happen; A: the loading bar would get to "executing game! 100%" and just stay there forever, or B: (In much rarer cases) The screen would flash green and turn black, as if the game were about to load, but it just stays black and never loads. Swiss loads anything else from the sd card just fine(DOLs and programs like GCOS), It's only game files that don't load. There's nothing wrong with the game files either, as they play just fine off a burned disc. I've tried every possible combination of read speeds fast and compatible and switching between 16 MHz and 32MHz but I can't get it to work. I'm using a class 10 sdhc card.
And I think it's gonna be a long long time, 'till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home Oh-no-no-no, I'm GGN.
User avatar
emu_kidid
Site Admin
Posts: 4355
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:06 pm

The SD read code used in game does not cater for read errors at all. If you're seeing it get stuck prior to "executing game 100%" then it means the small test reads it does are failing too.

I assume you're using the SD adapter that came with SDML? This one is prone to read errors and intermittent issues. Try using the tape method (where tape is added inside the adapter so that the SD card is "pushed" against the contacts better) or buying/making a better SD adapter.
Image
User avatar
GGNderbomb
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by GGNderbomb » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:11 am

emu_kidid wrote:The SD read code used in game does not cater for read errors at all. If you're seeing it get stuck prior to "executing game 100%" then it means the small test reads it does are failing too.

I assume you're using the SD adapter that came with SDML? This one is prone to read errors and intermittent issues. Try using the tape method (where tape is added inside the adapter so that the SD card is "pushed" against the contacts better) or buying/making a better SD adapter.
Nothing is wrong with the sd gecko; I am using one made by wiikey. And as I said, anything else loads just fine off the sd card. I have made full backups and restores to my memory card using GCMM with no issues. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I beleive it might be the games large 1.35 GB file sizes, witch somehow manage to apply to every gamecube game. I heard somewhere there's a program that shrinks the size of gamecube ROMs, and maybe that could help somehow. But I also don't think I provided enough information, iether; I'm using a PNY brand microSD card with a 85mb/s read/write speed with the sd gecko plugged in slot B. Being the developer of swiss, you probobly know the compatibility of sutch. I hope my extra information was helpful, and I hope a solution if found soon.
And I think it's gonna be a long long time, 'till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home Oh-no-no-no, I'm GGN.
User avatar
emu_kidid
Site Admin
Posts: 4355
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:41 am

GGNderbomb wrote: Nothing is wrong with the sd gecko; I am using one made by wiikey. And as I said, anything else loads just fine off the sd card. I have made full backups and restores to my memory card using GCMM with no issues. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I beleive it might be the games large 1.35 GB file sizes, witch somehow manage to apply to every gamecube game. I heard somewhere there's a program that shrinks the size of gamecube ROMs, and maybe that could help somehow. But I also don't think I provided enough information, iether; I'm using a PNY brand microSD card with a 85mb/s read/write speed with the sd gecko plugged in slot B. Being the developer of swiss, you probobly know the compatibility of sutch. I hope my extra information was helpful, and I hope a solution if found soon.
Do you have anything in slot 2 like a USB Gecko without a PC reading the data off of it? That could be a problem if so.

I recommend sticking with verified full disc dumps (1.35GB), do not shrink them. Does Swiss tell you that the games you're trying to start are "fragmented" on the screen where it shows the game banner and description? I'd try a full re-format of the SD card if you can using SD Formatter or SwissKnife formatter.
Image
User avatar
Andross89
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 10:02 pm

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by Andross89 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:44 pm

GGNderbomb wrote: Nothing is wrong with the sd gecko; I am using one made by wiikey. And as I said, anything else loads just fine off the sd card. I have made full backups and restores to my memory card using GCMM with no issues. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I beleive it might be the games large 1.35 GB file sizes, witch somehow manage to apply to every gamecube game. I heard somewhere there's a program that shrinks the size of gamecube ROMs, and maybe that could help somehow. But I also don't think I provided enough information, iether; I'm using a PNY brand microSD card with a 85mb/s read/write speed with the sd gecko plugged in slot B. Being the developer of swiss, you probobly know the compatibility of sutch. I hope my extra information was helpful, and I hope a solution if found soon.
What games are you trying to start? Some games just do not work. In the case of the green screen, some games like 007 usually do this and not work. Reducing the size of the isos can damage them. Always save the original isos.
User avatar
GGNderbomb
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by GGNderbomb » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:04 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
GGNderbomb wrote: Nothing is wrong with the sd gecko; I am using one made by wiikey. And as I said, anything else loads just fine off the sd card. I have made full backups and restores to my memory card using GCMM with no issues. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I beleive it might be the games large 1.35 GB file sizes, witch somehow manage to apply to every gamecube game. I heard somewhere there's a program that shrinks the size of gamecube ROMs, and maybe that could help somehow. But I also don't think I provided enough information, iether; I'm using a PNY brand microSD card with a 85mb/s read/write speed with the sd gecko plugged in slot B. Being the developer of swiss, you probobly know the compatibility of sutch. I hope my extra information was helpful, and I hope a solution if found soon.
Do you have anything in slot 2 like a USB Gecko without a PC reading the data off of it? That could be a problem if so.

I recommend sticking with verified full disc dumps (1.35GB), do not shrink them. Does Swiss tell you that the games you're trying to start are "fragmented" on the screen where it shows the game banner and description? I'd try a full re-format of the SD card if you can using SD Formatter or SwissKnife formatter.
No, there is nothing thaf says "fragmented", otnerwise I would've said so. And no, I don't have a USB gecko. However, that format method looks worth a try. I'll attemt that and report back how it went.
And I think it's gonna be a long long time, 'till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home Oh-no-no-no, I'm GGN.
User avatar
GGNderbomb
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by GGNderbomb » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:08 pm

Andross89 wrote: What games are you trying to start? Some games just do not work. In the case of the green screen, some games like 007 usually do this and not work. Reducing the size of the isos can damage them. Always save the original isos.
So far i've tried Need for Speed carbon, a 007 AUF rom hack, and the Legend of Zelda collectors edition.
And I think it's gonna be a long long time, 'till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home Oh-no-no-no, I'm GGN.
User avatar
Andross89
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 10:02 pm

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by Andross89 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:33 pm

GGNderbomb wrote: So far i've tried Need for Speed carbon, a 007 AUF rom hack, and the Legend of Zelda collectors edition.
I think I have your answer ...


Need for Speed - carbon

Only the first Underground works. The second freezes a few times and Most Wanted and Carbon, I could not get past the screen after creating the save.


James Bond 007 - Agent Under Fire

This game has ELF or multiple DOL files. The new version of Swiss does not work well with these types of games. Try Swiss version 0.3. This version made the Medal of Honor - Frontline work correctly. Maybe you're lucky.


The Legend of Zelda - Collectors Edition

This is easy. Extract all ISO content and use TGC To GCM to convert game files individually. Everything should work perfectly. I finished Majora's this week and the latest version of Swiss did not load the final credits song.


I hope I have been helpful. I have a list of games that do not work in the compatibility session. Maybe you're interested.
User avatar
GGNderbomb
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by GGNderbomb » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:39 pm

Thanks Andross89 for the helpful reply. I will consider your suggestions.
And I think it's gonna be a long long time, 'till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home Oh-no-no-no, I'm GGN.
User avatar
boredomca
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:32 am
Location: USA

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by boredomca » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Make sure your card is formatted properly and if it's a knockoff, chances are it didn't have enough true space
User avatar
GGNderbomb
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by GGNderbomb » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:46 am

boredomca wrote:Make sure your card is formatted properly and if it's a knockoff, chances are it didn't have enough true space
It's a 16GB card I bought from wal-mart.
And I think it's gonna be a long long time, 'till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home Oh-no-no-no, I'm GGN.
User avatar
emu_kidid
Site Admin
Posts: 4355
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:56 pm

They're not the most compatible games, try something like Smash Bros Melee.
Image
User avatar
Andross89
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 10:02 pm

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by Andross89 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Super Smash Bros. Melee (USA) (En,Ja) (v1.02) . This version works and I can guarantee it.
moawkwrd
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:01 am

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by moawkwrd » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Weirdly I'm having the same problem.

I was stuck back using r330 because I haven't played my GC in a while, but I had no problems with that using a 2GB card to load and swapping to a 32GB card to play. I updated swiss to r440 today and it doesn't read any card I put in (shows reading file system briefly but then nothing) so I went back to r431 and I'm getting this problem too. Doesn't appear to finish the 'reading main DOL' process and then goes to black screen on any ISO I try.

Will keep going back through the swiss versions to see where it broke.
User avatar
Streetwalker
Posts: 1623
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:50 am
Location: Israel

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by Streetwalker » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:05 pm

What games have you been trying?
The latest build is using a completely new FAT driver so there might be some issues still.
User avatar
emu_kidid
Site Admin
Posts: 4355
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:17 pm

moawkwrd wrote:Weirdly I'm having the same problem.

I was stuck back using r330 because I haven't played my GC in a while, but I had no problems with that using a 2GB card to load and swapping to a 32GB card to play. I updated swiss to r440 today and it doesn't read any card I put in (shows reading file system briefly but then nothing) so I went back to r431 and I'm getting this problem too. Doesn't appear to finish the 'reading main DOL' process and then goes to black screen on any ISO I try.

Will keep going back through the swiss versions to see where it broke.
Try 442
Image
User avatar
Andross89
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 10:02 pm

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by Andross89 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:33 pm

emu_kidid wrote: Try 442
This version seems to have lost compatibility with some games. Resident Evil Zero freezes on the violence warning screen. I thought this version might have solved the Resident Evil 4 problem, but it will not start. The American version of Zero works perfectly in version 431.
User avatar
emu_kidid
Site Admin
Posts: 4355
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by emu_kidid » Fri May 04, 2018 8:29 am

I'm implementing a less invasive read method some point soon which might be worth trying.
Image
User avatar
Andross89
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 10:02 pm

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by Andross89 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:07 pm

emu_kidid wrote:I'm implementing a less invasive read method some point soon which might be worth trying.
Can you put a note on this implementation as "Do not disable XenoGC" in the future release? I tested the 2 new versions but this implementation should be the solution for Zero back to work. And maybe the 4. Thank you.
User avatar
Andross89
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 10:02 pm

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by Andross89 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:39 am

Thanks for the link Streetwalker but I did not express myself correctly. When a version is released, these notes appear below on the modifications made. I would like something like "less invasive read method" to appear when implemented. I always follow the updates and modifications.
User avatar
Streetwalker
Posts: 1623
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:50 am
Location: Israel

Re: Swiss not loading game ISOs from sd card

Post by Streetwalker » Tue May 08, 2018 9:48 am

This is completely unrelated to that Xeno change, and it will of course be present in the release notes when it does get implemented.
Post Reply