Questions regarding SWISS / How to use SWISS from JAP GC no modichip from SD?

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
nihplod

Questions regarding SWISS / How to use SWISS from JAP GC no modichip from SD?

Post by nihplod » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:01 am

Hello together,

first of all thanks to everyone involved in Swiss for the amazing work. Much appreciated.
Secondly I read through the forum topics here, but couldn't find answers to all my questions so I thought it's best if I ask them here.

My setup is:
I have an orange japanese Gamecube with Gameboy Player (no disc) and no modchip, but I own a SD to Memorycard / Adapter.

I would like to:
Boot into Swiss, ideally directly from SD Card and launch Backups directly from SD Card and use the Gameboy Player Software directly from SD card.

My Questions:
- Do I need an original game to launch SWISS or can I launch it directly from SD?
- Do the Savegame hacks in this forum for Windwaker and Smashbros also work with a JAP Game and JAP Gamecube? Is there a cheaper JAP game I can use, since I don't own the two.
- What files do I need exactly to accomplish what I want to do? Do I need to combine files?
- Is there a step by step guide somewhere to accomplish exactly what I attempt to do?
- Do the hacks work with any kind of SD Card? Is there a size limit?

Many thanks.
novenary

Re: Questions regarding SWISS / How to use SWISS from JAP GC no modichip from SD?

Post by novenary » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:01 am

- You need a disc (game or action replay/sdml)
- Yes, all savegame exploits work for all known versions
- You need the exploited save and a loader of some sort to put on your memory card
- There should be some instructions on the forum, the basic idea is that you need another GC or Wii that can run homebrew to load save files to your memory card with GCMM
- No limit, unless you use AR/SDML which only supports non-HC cards
nihplod

Re: Questions regarding SWISS / How to use SWISS from JAP GC no modichip from SD?

Post by nihplod » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:31 am

Thank you for your quick answers.

Regarding:
- There should be some instructions on the forum, the basic idea is that you need another GC or Wii that can run homebrew to load save files to your memory card with GCMM

Why do I need another Wii or GC if I have a Memorycard with sd card in it. Can I not just copy the files to the sd card in a folder, that the gamecube recognizes as a save file?

And sorry but what is AR SDML?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:07 pm

nihplod wrote:Thank you for your quick answers.

Regarding:

Why do I need another Wii or GC if I have a Memorycard with sd card in it. Can I not just copy the files to the sd card in a folder, that the gamecube recognizes as a save file?

And sorry but what is AR SDML?
You need a way to get the save game files for the games you're going to exploit onto a memory card somehow, using a GC or Wii that can run homebrew will achieve this.

AR SDML is a later revision of Datel's Action Replay which can boot homebrew .DOL files from a SD memory card adapter.

This page may help you.
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:06 pm

nihplod wrote:Why do I need another Wii or GC if I have a Memorycard with sd card in it. Can I not just copy the files to the sd card in a folder, that the gamecube recognizes as a save file?
The GameCube can't use an SD card as a memory card, they're two entirely different devices even though they connect through the same port.
nihplod

Post by nihplod » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:53 am

Thank you for very much the answers, very helpful so far.

If I put a XENO modchip in the Gamecube, can I then use a burned boot disc to launch SWISS and the Gameboy player?
The action replay solution doesnt work for NTSC JAP right?
Is there a modchip I can install without soldering?

Many thanks.

Kind regards
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:13 pm

- Yes.
- If you can find an older SDML disc which is not region-locked, then it will, but the new ones from Datel are locked.
- To the best of my knowledge, not at the moment. BadAssConsoles used to sell solderless adapters for Wii drive emulators, but he has stopped since the supply has ended. Maybe someone is willing to sell you theirs.