Newbie PAL Gamecube questions. Please help!

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
Kaart

Newbie PAL Gamecube questions. Please help!

Post by Kaart » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:04 pm

I'm completely new to the Gamecube modding scene and not a native English speaker but please bear with me.

This is probaly a realy noob question but I cannot find a definitive answer anywhere on the internet. I own a PAL Gamecube with some games. I'm trying to get the best image quality possible and looking to buy a Carby HDMI adapter.

I know that PAL games don't support 480p but can be forced to run in 480p with Swiss.
1. Do the games look the same as NTSC games using a NTSC Gamecube?
2. And are they running in 60hz? Even if they don't support PAL60 like most PAL Gamecube games.
3. Is there an other/better way to play PAL Gamecube games in 480p/60hz other than buying a NTSC Gamecube and games.

Thanks in advance!
Extrems

Re: Newbie PAL Gamecube questions. Please help!

Post by Extrems » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:43 pm

1) Yes, or better.
2) Yes, but PAL-optimized titles can run fast. 576p is also an option.
3) No.
Kaart

Post by Kaart » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:53 pm

Extrems wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:43 pm
1) Yes, or better.
2) Yes, but PAL-optimized titles can run fast. 576p is also an option.
3) No.
Thank you for your answers. What are PAL-optimized games? How do I know if a game is PAL-optimized? I have the following games.

Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II
Pikmin 2
TimeSplitters 2
Beyond Good & Evil
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Resident Evil 4
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Soul Calibur 2
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
SSX 3
Super Mario Sunshine
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:08 pm

They're games running at normal speed in 50Hz.

TimeSplitters 2 has clipping issues in 480p, and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time just got fixed.
Kaart

Post by Kaart » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:24 pm

Extrems wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:08 pm
They're games running at normal speed in 50Hz.
Ah, I see. Is there a list of games that don't run well at forced 60Hz?
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:00 pm

Swiss has better compatibility than other ways of forcing video modes.
I'm not familiar with which games are PAL optimized.

In my experience, it's not just PAL. People take for granted how many NTSC games also have to be forced for 480p.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:29 pm

Hello, I will try to answer my best, as a Pal-native player, since I came across the same questions as you.
1. This question can be understood in many different ways, so to clarify, playing games from any region on any region GC would look the same when in 480lines provided the game is 480lines (60Hz) compatible, and with the limitation of the output ability of the said Hardware.
2. Yes, when you put in 480 lines, you are bound to 60Hz, you'll then have Pal 60 off your composite output on a Pal regardless the region of the game.
3. No, getting a NTSC GC won't help.

The best image you can get off a Pal Gamecube is with a RGB Scart Cable and a good (someone said Phat? :mrgreen: ) CRT, playing at 576lines as much as possible. 8-)

If you go the Flat Screen way, you'll fell into digital weirdnesses, and will have to run most games at the panel's native frequency, except if you find a multi-frequency panel (I don't even know if it exists), still at the expense of resolution :evil: . So for the flat panel, the cheap way is the Wii with Component cable, then, the CarbyHDMI. :?

For MKDD/SMS/WW I'm bound to play in 60Hz to match my TV's Refresh for the game room's sanity :oops: , I let Luidgi's Mansion in 50Hz because i have no choice, and in FFCC because it's way more beautiful!

Extrems> No, 50Hz modes may not be an option for all the games if one's playing on a LCD TV, fast ones may result in sickness because of frame doubling/jamming.

I personnally avoid forcing to 480lines games that don't natively offer this option.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)