Write access to Qoob Pro

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
patters

Write access to Qoob Pro

Post by patters » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:42 pm

Hi emu_kidid,

I just suffered a mishap trying to vacuum dust out of my Gamecube heatsink. I had the console apart to retrobrite the grey front panel, which went without a hitch. Unfortunately the loose end of my Qoob Pro flex cable got torn away as it was sucked inside the vacuum hose.

I see that Swiss can read from the Qoob Pro flash memory, but would it be much work to add writing to it too via the existing file management feature? I boot Swiss directly from flash so I update Swiss on there as it evolves. Looking online it seems that replacing the flex cable will be very difficult. Its specs are HF E248682 AWM 20798 12pin VW-1.

Of course, if Swiss could write to Qoob Pro flash then no one would need the flex cable or USB breakout board. There is an open source Qoob Pro flash tool which might provide the technical means perhaps:
https://github.com/jvaltane/gqoobpro

Cheers
Last edited by patters on Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patters

Re: Write access to Qoob Pro

Post by patters » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:52 am

After some research it seems that most flex cables are of similar specifications even if the AWM number isn't identical. The main thing is that the pin pitch and number of pins need to be correct (in this case 12 pins at 0.5mm pitch. I've ordered these, will see how I get on:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223309434284

Thinking back to the Qoob write access, I guess the issue is that the board was designed to be flashed via USB so building that code for PowerPC doesn't achieve anything.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:14 am

I thought about adding write support but it's a little scary that someone could accidentally flash it and destroy their boot process.
patters

Post by patters » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:16 pm

I suppose you could write protect the first two blocks I think it is, that are the IPL replacement.
However, I'm pleased to report that my immediate need is over since the 12pin 0.5mm pin pitch AWM 20624 flex cables which I ordered on eBay work fine to reconnect the mini USB connector board. Useful info to share for anyone that may have yanked and damaged theirs I guess. It's slightly shorter - I think the old one was perhaps 160mm long rather than 150mm but it means I can continue keep up with Swiss developments. Phew.
Anonymalous

Post by Anonymalous » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:40 am

Hi, I got this cable and it's a perfect fit, basically any ribbon cable from the PS4 controller will do: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01GWY ... UTF8&psc=1
My problem is I desoldered the connectors and replaced them with wires directly to connect the modchip and the usb board but I still couldn't get the PC to recognize it. I soldered wires directly to pin 9 (+5V), 20 (D-), 21 (D+) and GND of the USB microcontroller Atmel 89C5131-IL. Any help would be appreciated!