Complete noob tries to set up Swiss and gbi...

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
GooseDaMighty

Complete noob tries to set up Swiss and gbi...

Post by GooseDaMighty » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:35 pm

So I’m completely new to the soft modding scene so please bare with me.
I currently setting up my gamecube build. I have gc loader, sd2sp2, xeno chip, and carby. So hardware wise i am good to go.

Here is where I get confused and I have a few questions.
Does Swiss need to be on both sd cards? (Sd2sp2 card and the one In the gc loader)
What is the best easy to use straight forward gameboy interface to use? I now just read that there are 3 versions of them.
When setting up gamecube games. I just dump the iso files on the gcloader sd card?

And does any one have a good how to video how to set these things up. GitHub confuses the crap outta me.

I’ve been reading up and trying to find a good video and I’m still lost.

Thanks for the help.
andzlay

Re: Complete noob tries to set up Swiss and gbi...

Post by andzlay » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:29 am

Hi GooseDaMighty! Welcome to the forum :)
GooseDaMighty wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:35 pm
Does Swiss need to be on both sd cards? (Sd2sp2 card and the one In the gc loader)
No, it's enough to just put it on the GC-Loader SD-Card as "boot.iso"
GooseDaMighty wrote:
What is the best easy to use straight forward gameboy interface to use? I now just read that there are 3 versions of them.
You can just start with the normal version. It has the most features/settings. The other versions are for specific use-cases like speed running or recording/streaming.
Download the latest GBI version. Copy "gbi.dol" and the folders "GBI" and "MCBACKUP" to the root folder of your SD Card (the sd2sp2 one, not GC-Loader SD card).
GooseDaMighty wrote:
When setting up gamecube games. I just dump the iso files on the gcloader sd card?
Yes.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:00 am

Hello, first, GC loader and Xeno are not exactly soft mods, but hard mods.
Why did you get GC loader and Xeno chip? The Xeno chip is an Optical drive mod (that installls on the original one), and the GC Loader is an Optical drive replacement, so you won't be able to use both unles you find or build a dual drive addition, or have more than one GC to equip (not to blame you on that, I have three GCs and one Wii, while none hardmodded :mrgreen: ).

SWISS only needs to be on the card where your boot system (or hack) is supposed to find it.
For GBI, don't forget to also copy the GBI.dcp file, the MCBACKUP folder is useless unless you plan on running GBI straight off a Memcard.
The GC Loader should be able to run games straight off its own Card. But to dump a game to said card, you have to have a GC with original optical drive and run Cleanrip to dump to this SD card in an SD Gecko or SD2SP2.

No Video is showing the entire process and is exhaustive about all the ways to run homebrew and isos. You'll have to read, and much of the info is already well layed on the GC forever wiki
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
GooseDaMighty

Post by GooseDaMighty » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:15 pm

Thanks a lot guys. I’ll set up my sd card tomorrow.

I learned the hard way about the xeno chip. I installed it earlier not knowing if I would be able to get the gcloader. So I can play my jap copy of twin snakes.

I’ll be getting another gamecube later on to put that disk drive into.

I’ll be sure to read up more. But this is a great start. Appreciate it my friends
N7Kopper

Post by N7Kopper » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:18 am

If you ever want to save some space for more games on your GC Loader card, Nkit is the best scrubber around - it looks complicated and has a few settings to set, but it's the only thing you should be using if you want to scrub Gamecube discs. (Just remember not to use the Dolphin-only format!)
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:36 am

That can be nice, if getting another cube, to get another flavour, such as PAL to get RGB, if you have a CRT supporting it, for example.

Also, that could sound a good idea to get one with a dead drive, while it may not be that much, unless you get it for free, as one spare working drive can become valuable with time, and a full set with some games and original controllers may still be found for "cheap".

The Xeno chip clone beeing so cheap is a trap, as there's not much it does, that SWISS can't.
Straight boot with off-zone Discs.
Straight boot burned discs (At the expense of the laser's life…)
Run off zone discs still unsupported by SWISS*

* Somebody told me about JAP Luidgi's Mansion, while I didn't dare/care to verify, but I remember having issues with Zelda collector's NTSC disc, and it was resolved in the next release after I submitted the issue. Coders can't code and play/test at the same time, it's up to us users to help identify bugs and quirks so SWISS can become even better.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)