Is aliexpress a good way to obtain SWISS?

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
alzen

Is aliexpress a good way to obtain SWISS?

Post by alzen » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:24 pm

Hello, I got my gamecube out of the box and as I have SWISS 0.3 on mini-dvd i wanted to get a new version, i saw SDLOAD and SWISS discs for sale on aliexpress. Like this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... 6653%22%7D

Anyone can recommend it maybe? I wonder but it seems like a good option - I do not have mini-dvds/dvds, and if I have access to dvd recorder it will be standard one and I already had problems with booting dvds burned that way in the past.
Take a look at my YouTube channel - totally dedicated to retro shooters
Papy.G

Re: Is aliexpress a good way to obtain SWISS?

Post by Papy.G » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:32 pm

SWISS is updated to a pace you'll inevitably end up with an outdated version quite fast, plus, they show the r~800and we are now over r~1100.

You'd better get an SD card reader (Memcard style or SP2, wether you want to use old homebrews or just ISOs) to load an always up-to date version from it that you'll easily download from github for free, every time you need to!

If you're experiencing booting issues from burnt discs, you'll be wise to set up a save exploit or two on a spare memcard, just in case…
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:20 am

If you can't burn the disc yourself then yes. Even if this is an outdated Swiss revision you can still use it to boot newer Swiss from an SD card. Just put "boot.dol" file on the card and Swiss will automatically run it.
alzen

Post by alzen » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:30 am

Papy.G wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:32 pm
SWISS is updated to a pace you'll inevitably end up with an outdated version quite fast, plus, they show the r~800and we are now over r~1100.

You'd better get an SD card reader (Memcard style or SP2, wether you want to use old homebrews or just ISOs) to load an always up-to date version from it that you'll easily download from github for free, every time you need to!

If you're experiencing booting issues from burnt discs, you'll be wise to set up a save exploit or two on a spare memcard, just in case…
I know and I am very happy about SWISS active development status. I think I can also buy SDLOAD and run SWISS from it. As you can see I am rather old user here, yet not very active. I have SD Gecko so guess that is what I will use, or does SP2 adapter have some adventages over it? About booting from memcard, I plan to get Mario Sunshinevand use recent exploit to boot SWISS from memcard.
webhdx wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:20 am
If you can't burn the disc yourself then yes. Even if this is an outdated Swiss revision you can still use it to boot newer Swiss from an SD card. Just put "boot.dol" file on the card and Swiss will automatically run it.
Thanks for the tip.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:52 am

As webhdx said, just slap SWISS as boot.dol on an SD card in the gecko, and you'll be fine if your version on your burnt disc supports this.

SDLoad is the old method to boot homebrews, not much used anymore, where SWISS tends to be the universal access point from exploits or chips.

SP2 adapter is hidden "inside" but you won't get easy access if you use the GBPlayer, it is limited to micro sized SD cards, and some emulators and homebrews don't support it. I made mine with full size slot and ribbon cable to stick on the console's side.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
alzen

Post by alzen » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:11 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:52 am
SP2 adapter is hidden "inside" but you won't get easy access if you use the GBPlayer, it is limited to micro sized SD cards, and some emulators and homebrews don't support it. I made mine with full size slot and ribbon cable to stick on the console's side.
If some emulators and homebrew do not support it i will rather stick to my SD Gecko.