"Parental lock" on Swiss?

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
IsPepsiOkay

"Parental lock" on Swiss?

Post by IsPepsiOkay » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:08 pm

Howdy, been looking for some information and thus far haven't found anything that helps, so here I am.

Long story short, someone stole our entire (relatively small) library of Gamecube games from our arcade setup, so I'm trying to set up a Gamecube running Swiss as a replacement, and I need to be able to lock down the Swiss settings somehow so that some dickhead can't mess with everything. So, my question was whether there's any way to either add something like a parental lock passcode or just hide the menu bar entirely so the only thing anyone can do is launch the loaded games?

I've currently got the system running using Picoboot and SD2SP2, because the Gamecube in question no longer reads discs despite a laser swap and cap kit. I've got it set up with all the games on the root of the SD card, carousel view, and all other items/folders hidden, but the menu bar is still accessible and I can't find a way to hide that or lock it down. The console's going to be secured, so physical tampering isn't a concern. If it's not possible with this setup, does anyone know another setup that would allow such a thing? Alternatively, if it'd be possible to request the addition of some sort of password system to Swiss that would be awesome. At the end of the day though I just need to be able to prevent random people from messing with the settings, or otherwise only allow them to launch the loaded game .isos.

Appreciate any info anyone's got!
Papy.G

Re: "Parental lock" on Swiss?

Post by Papy.G » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:22 pm

Maybe manually lock the settings file as read only by hand on a computer?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:24 am

I'll add something, this had been requested before for similar use cases but was never decided on what they wanted
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:05 pm

the simplest cipher, like MD5 as a password provider to the settings shouldn't be too complicated, right?
i like the idea of locking the settings, too
doesn't matter if you can crack the password in a milisecond once you have the config in hand..
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
IsPepsiOkay

Post by IsPepsiOkay » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:25 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:22 pm
Maybe manually lock the settings file as read only by hand on a computer?
Gonna be honest, I hadn't even considered this. That functionally gets the job done, appreciate the suggestion.
emu_kidid wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:24 am
I'll add something, this had been requested before for similar use cases but was never decided on what they wanted
Awesome! Appreciate it. Having a password would make it much more convenient to adjust anything down the road if needed.
liquitt wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:05 pm
the simplest cipher, like MD5 as a password provider to the settings shouldn't be too complicated, right?
i like the idea of locking the settings, too
doesn't matter if you can crack the password in a milisecond once you have the config in hand..
That wasn't really a concern because if anyone's able to physically get to the console then I've got a bigger problem on my hands anyway. Mostly I just need enough of a tamper barrier to deter the vast majority of people from ever trying rather than something 100% tamper-proof. Still, that would be easy enough to set up, couldn't hurt to be thorough.
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:23 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:24 am
I understand that making the file read-only would be a disadvantage. because you would need a PC whenever you need to change settings. :ugeek:

parental control must block access to settings; however, the credits and the Swiss version must be visible.
Games must also be accessible.
It must be taken into account that Swiss has two configuration bars:
1 per menu
another by the X button.
This access must be blocked by a password.
I've never tested it, but there appears to be a password in the Swiss LAN Network menu. :idea:

In the second instance: :!:
you can think about blocking utilities such as SDGEKKO, SP2SD2, HD etc.. for access to the DVD drive only; and Port used.
However, I believe this would be more complicated and useless. :| :?: However, accessing the Swiss.config file on the SD would allow the password to be deleted...

USB LOADER Wii has something similar already native to the console.
:mrgreen: :idea:
:idea: :geek: SWISS USER :geek: :idea:
DEBUG IS NECESSARY :arrow: :ugeek: