Boot Directly to Swiss from SDGecko?

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
dantheman2865

Boot Directly to Swiss from SDGecko?

Post by dantheman2865 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:35 pm

Good Day,

I've been tinkering with Gamecube hacking for about 2-3 years now and looking for a shortcut. I have a DOL-001 (USA) with a XenoGC and a BBA. Currently my method for loading homebrew is to boot GCOS 1.X, load the Swiss DOL over the network and then boot things off the SD card (through the SDGecko). The primary reason I am doing it this way is because that GCOS disc is the only homebrew disc I have ever gotten to boot properly. :lol: Secondarily, playing backed up games over the BBA is pretty unstable...

Anyway, my question is this: Is there any part of the GC boot process that supports booting directly off the SD card over EXI? If so, could we make a desktop utility that formats the card the proper way to support this? I tried looking for some clues in YAGCD but my programming experience is mostly with embedded computers (Atmel, etc.).

I am pretty sure this is how SDML worked but I know there was some additional hardware involved in that, not just an SDGecko.

I noticed an "Install" function in Swiss 0.1, is that what this does? If so, could this be adapted into a desktop program? If you can point me to the source code responsible for "Installing" I could replicate it in .NET. :lol:

Thanks for your help!
infact

Re: Boot Directly to Swiss from SDGecko?

Post by infact » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:21 pm

I will try to keep my answers short, if you want to know further details feel free to ask. ;-)

There can be multiple reasons, why your cube is not booting any other homebrew disc beside that gcos disc. So there are many possible fixes for that (laser tweak, other dvd burner, other dvd brand, trying a confirmed working homebrew iso, etc.)

An unmodified Gamecube will of course not boot any other thing than a legit nintendo dvd (or datels genius custom dvds). But, because you have a xeno modchip that enables you new features, you can boot anything that is on a burned homebrew/game dvd. To boot from sdgecko, a dvd is needed for the xeno, cause it can only interfere with the dvd boot process. One easy way is to have a sd loader on dvd (sdload, swiss, sdml, own program). An other would be to have a custom firmware on the chip.
Also the xeno includes a feature, that allows you to boot from a memcard.

The sdml is a sdloader that can be used to show executables on an sd card and allows to choose and boot, like sdload and swiss. It has a special function to boot an "autoload.dol" from sd card.
However it only works with non-hc cards.

The install function in swiss is a dumping utility to create an image of a dvd on sd.

Hope this helps. ;-)
infact
Image Image
5chars

Post by 5chars » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:05 pm

infact wrote: Also the xeno includes a feature, that allows you to boot from a memcard.
Just out of curiosity, how does it work? :)
infact

Post by infact » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:50 pm

When you turn the cube on hold the Z trigger and it will load a dol from memory card 2. You need a special tool to format the memcard and/or create the blocks.
Last edited by infact on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infact
Image Image
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:43 pm

infact, have you tested this? If so, it's tool writing time for you :P
dantheman2865

Post by dantheman2865 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Thanks you guys! I am going to look more into the capabilities of XenoGC. I understand the source code was released early this year so it's a matter of bending that to my will.

I am continually in awe of how knowledgeable the forum members are specifically in GC development. I'll be on the lookout for how I can contribute to the community!
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:33 pm

dantheman2865 wrote:Thanks you guys! I am going to look more into the capabilities of XenoGC. I understand the source code was released early this year so it's a matter of bending that to my will.

I am continually in awe of how knowledgeable the forum members are specifically in GC development. I'll be on the lookout for how I can contribute to the community!
sounds like we got a new knowledgable member on the forums ;)
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm