POT Tweaking where to start from , and what Games to Test ?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
s8n187

POT Tweaking where to start from , and what Games to Test ?

Post by s8n187 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:41 am

hi gc-forever members and emu_kidid , i am should be getting a Fluke 115 DMM next week as my current approx 18 year old Micronta is really problematic. Im looking to work on my Cubes again and i want to install a XenoGC i got last week , can anyone tell me what ohms i should start off with and then ill go down 10 ohms at a time from there ?

Obviously after tweaking im going to test a game ( or should i multiple games ? ) what game/s do you recommend ?....... i dont want to sit for ages and play i want to run it in Demonstration mode and come back after 30 mins with fingers crossed.

Also i will be using Verbatim Full Size DVD-R

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/pr ... -R/AC95137

If anyone thinks i should stay away from these let me know , judging from an old defunct Website called Gamecube Compatibility Survey general Verbatims worked well for users.

chat soon
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: POT Tweaking where to start from , and what Games to Tes

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:02 am

DOL-001's come at 550ohms from factory or there abouts. I would move them down to 350 ohms at least and if dvd-r readability is still poor, go lower 50 at a time until you hit 150 ohms.

DOL-101's come at 210-150ohms from factory, lowest I'd go is 100 ohms, any point past that, you might as well start looking for a new laser as the backups won't be reliable.

I would usually let either Metroid Prime 2 echoes run on the intro loop for 30 mins or an audio streaming game that really like to thrash the laser (Wave race loading screens). You basically want a game that you can hear the laser seek all around the disc since that's when it's most likely to lose focus and get a disc read error.
s8n187

Post by s8n187 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:13 am

hi emu_kidid , phenomenal info supplied thanks for that..................

10 of my GC's are DOL-001 PAL and 1 is DOL-101 US , roger that on the last part also i already got WR but not MP2 ill find that with my usual methods.

thanks again for your input as usual , i had a feeling you'd pop up with some info

chat soon
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:22 am

Regular silver Verbatim DVD-Rs (MCC 03RG20) have worked fairly well for me. However, the laser in my DOL-001 seems to have become less reliable over the years.

What I would suggest is to start with the stock setting, then first adjust in large increments as mentioned. Measure the value before adjusting so that you know where you started from. Try to observe if disc reading gets better or worse as you move up or down. Once I have a rough idea, I adjust in smaller and smaller increments to find the "sweet spot". To ensure consistent reading, it is also a good idea to try a few different games. After modifying a few GCs, I've found that some lasers are more picky than others. Some will read reliably over a wide range, while others only work well within +/- 5 Ω or so of a given value. The optimal setting will also vary depending upon media type.
s8n187

Post by s8n187 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:26 am

hola noobcube , thanks for the additional tips i will take that into account when Tweaking next week

thanks again

s8n