Panasonic Q DVD region free Mod

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Bakuku

Panasonic Q DVD region free Mod

Post by Bakuku » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:10 pm

Hi,

I've taken the liberty to open up my Panasonic Q Game/DVD player and see how the DVD region free mod was installed.

Below are pictures of my own personal Panasonic Q which I have taken apart to see how the DVD mod was done.

Below are pictures of the Components installed to achieve PAL playback.

Top side of the PCB:
ImageImage

Bottom side of the PCB:

Area’s circled in RED are the added components (RAM and Caps)

All pictures are from the PCB's that rest on/under the DVD drive.
From what I could tell opening the unit untill just the Gamecube PCB is that the mods happen on those boards that are on the DVD drive assembly.
Region modding the Gamecube Part of the Panasonic Q requires different mods on the Gamecube PCB and has no connection for enabling PAL DVD playback.

Hopefully this will help some people better understand how it works.
Last edited by Bakuku on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
count.zero

Re: Panasonic Q DVD region free Mod

Post by count.zero » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:30 am

The mod is not only adding a pic (with unknow code BTW) and updating the firmware (with an almost impossible to find authoring DVD). You also have to add anther ram chip (with decouplig caps, IIRC) if you want to enable PAL decoding. If you have a look on the ram chips on the third photo you will notice they are different)
Bakuku

Post by Bakuku » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:51 am

count.zero wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:30 am
The mod is not only adding a pic (with unknow code BTW) and updating the firmware (with an almost impossible to find authoring DVD). You also have to add anther ram chip (with decouplig caps, IIRC) if you want to enable PAL decoding. If you have a look on the ram chips on the third photo you will notice they are different)
Yes, I was looking at the pictures again today and noticed the extra ram that was added as well as some extra caps surrounding it.

I phoned a Modder last satureday to ask him about the Service Disk that is required to enable multiregion playback.
He told me that he always used IMGburn to copy the Service Disk and supposedly it worked for him. He did mention that a couple of units did not respond to the Disk and he contributed that to maybe a slight revision in hardware but he was unsure.

I will update my first post.
count.zero

Post by count.zero » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:31 pm

You need a copy of the DVD, an authoring DVD burner and an Authoring DVD-r. The authoring media isn't a standard dvd-r. A standard DVD-r with a standard dvd recorder is not going to work.

For more info about authoring dvd format have a look here:
http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/GeneralvsAuthoring.pdf

This is a dvd for authoring media:
https://www.amazon.com/DVD-R-Authoring- ... B00D0EAOCC