Wii DVD Drive into a Gamecube

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
pismolives

Re: Wii DVD Drive into a Gamecube

Post by pismolives » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:19 pm

Somewhat related question?

If I have a megadrive v3 (w/wasp) I can wire up a wii dvd drive fairly easy. If booting swiss from the SD card, is it able to launch a burned game on dvd, and still have streaming audio working correctly?

Or would I need a drivechip for the wii drive, and then just boot with no sd card, and insert the burned disc?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:49 pm

swiss does not currently patch / unlock wii drives at this time
i am unaware of any plans for swiss to support this feature but it was discussed many months back.
Until swiss allows patch support for wii drives a modchip will be required to playback any burned DVDs
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
pismolives

Post by pismolives » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:51 pm

Damn.. any ideas where to find a wiikey or similar these days? I'm coming up short on my searching.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:58 pm

i made my own wiikey 1 download/file.php?id=966
you could also convert a xeno GC into a wiikey 1 and wire solder it
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:17 pm

The Wiikey v1 and XenoGC use the same basic circuit (except the Xeno has a pair of status LEDs). So, a DIY or retail XenoGC can be flashed with the Wiikey hex and turned into a Wiikey, which should be able to patch the drive for Gamecube backups with working audio streaming. I'll bet it can even read GC backup discs at Wii speed (6x). Another possibility is to make a YAOSM 3.2 using a PIC chip. Both modchip options would require a DMS, D2A, or D2B, Wii drive.
pismolives

Post by pismolives » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:34 pm

Hmm, how would I program the Xeno though?

I found a site that sells a SunKey drivechip.. says something about having a GC audio fix.. for $15, I'm thinking it might be worth a try.

mega, do you include the ffc cable from the wasp to the Wii drive in your megadrive kits?
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:55 pm

pismolives wrote:Hmm, how would I program the Xeno though?

I found a site that sells a SunKey drivechip.. says something about having a GC audio fix.. for $15, I'm thinking it might be worth a try.

mega, do you include the ffc cable from the wasp to the Wii drive in your megadrive kits?
The XenoGC Clone page explains how to program: http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... noGC_Clone

FWIW, I'd suggest doing some research on the SunKey and audio streaming. I tried a bunch of Wii modchips and found that most of them had a broken GC audio fix. Wiikey v1 and YAOSM 3.2 (which patch the drive through the serial debug port) work for sure - I have both. Modchips which connect using an FFC cable cannot play streamed audio - they mute it, although megalomaniac found a workaround for Wiikey Fusion/Wasp.
Crosz

Post by Crosz » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:14 pm

Sorry for my late replay im quite busy at the moment...
I guess i ll buy an Megadrive v3 then.

Thx for the Infos guys