Internal Wavebird receiver question.

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Cybertronic

Internal Wavebird receiver question.

Post by Cybertronic » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:36 am

If I wired up a wavebird receiver to a GC controller port (or even all 4) and then for what ever reason decided that I wanted to connect a wired controller to that port, would the wired controller operate correctly as long as a wavebird controller wasn't transmitting to that port?

I know it was already established that the GC does not SEND data to the RF dongle and can only RECEIVE from it in a previous thread, so I would imagine the gamecube wouldn't mind an inactive dongle, but I just wanted to confirm if anyone has tried this or had any issues with a setup like I described. I could always add a toggle switch for each dongle I suppose, but that wouldn't be very esthetically pleasing to me.

My idea is to have two channel select wheels on each side of the Gamecube and an LED indicator either above each controller port or have the empty port light up. I bet there may be a way to ground out the RF dongle whenever a wired controller is connected. That would be ideal if a switch were required.

Any experience?
harvey263

Re: Internal Wavebird receiver question.

Post by harvey263 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:21 am

I did just this with the receiver from my wireless controller mod: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=898
Not a Wavebird receiver, but I would assume the same result. It is wired to port 1 and does not interfere with a wired controller being plugged in. It doesn't require any type of selection switch. When the wireless controller is off, the receiver lays dormant and has no effect. If both are active, the port just accepts input from both. I put an LED inside the port (or next to it technically). It flashes when looking for a signal, steady when connected.

EDIT: If both are active, the port accepts input from neither. I had to try it again because I started second guessing my original claim. Still works without a switch though. Just decide which controller you want when powering up.
Cybertronic

Post by Cybertronic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:42 am

So if the console is already on, only wavebird connected, and then I connect a controller and turn the wavebird off I'd need to reset the console?
harvey263

Post by harvey263 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:57 pm

Cybertronic wrote:So if the console is already on, only wavebird connected, and then I connect a controller and turn the wavebird off I'd need to reset the console?
Yes. But if you turn the wavebird off first, then plug in a wired controller you don't have to reset.