Installing WKF help

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
thevolgun

Installing WKF help

Post by thevolgun » Thu May 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

Well - i just got my first wiikey fusion from megalomaniac and predictably i have some questions (also - i am extremely new to this ... i apologise if i have glazed over anything obvious but i have tried to read as much as i can before asking anyone).

I've been searching for a ways to connect the wiikey fusion to my gamecube - to cut to the chase, i really don't think i would have the skill required to solder a ribbon cable like that.

I seen Megadrive that megalomaniac is selling - if i bought that would it function as an adapter? - if so ... would the soldering be easier and would it come with a ribbon cable, too? (if it doesn't ... could you tell me what exactly i need to search for in my local electronics shop?)

Thankyou for taking the time for reading this.

Regards,
Volgun
APE992

Re: Installing WKF help

Post by APE992 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:22 pm

I installed one a Megadrive for someone the other week and it isn't for the feint of heart. First you have to remove the DVD-ROM connector from the motherboard by cutting the top half off and then extracting each of the pins one by one. After that you have the option of sliding the pins back through the megadrive and into the motherboard and soldering them in place...one by one.

The pins are TINY. Much smaller than a XBox modchip will come with. Think 30-28AWG wire small. You'll have to solder upwards of 25 of them. But once that sucker is in you slide the ribbon into place, lock it down and the hard part is done and over with. I'm not sure if he sells the Megadrive with the required ribbons but I'd imagine he might be able to sell you one or point you in the direction of finding what you need.
baldjared

Re: Installing WKF help

Post by baldjared » Thu May 23, 2013 7:51 pm

I bought a megadrive, I found the soldering to be fairly easy, the removal of the old port was the part I had the most problems with and that's only because I broke a pin and have no solder removal gear around, if you aren't hamfisted and take your time the megadrive is a pretty easy install. The megadrive itself is perfectly designed and gave me no problems whatsoever and is no doubt much easier than soldering 19 wires all over the cube.

I have soldering experience but I also shake, all the time, and I still had absolutely no problems with the install or the size of the pins.

If you're nervous then you could always opt for the megadrive with the install done by megalomaniac, you're guaranteed top quality soldering work if you go that route, this would be my recommendation.

All the cables required to go from the meagdrive to the WKF and from the WKF to the dvd drive are included if you buy a megadrive and WKF, you don't need any other cables.