My first GCp

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Drakon

Re: My first GCp

Post by Drakon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:36 pm

Definitely coming together nicely.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:16 pm

Drakon wrote:Definitely coming together nicely.
megalomaniac wrote:oh yea!!!
its looking great
Thanks guys not bad for a burger flipping 29 yr old. Lol.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Indeed, this is looking awesome man! :)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:10 pm

how is it to hold, that's pretty awesome that you got away with using the full controller
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:12 pm

Ashen wrote:Indeed, this is looking awesome man! :)
Thanks ashen, that means alot from you, I have been reading your case that your making molds for. That is sick.

@mega Thanks for the wkfs you have sold me. Also for being a metal head in the mod scene as well.

@drakon dude I read your thread on rgb modding that fc16 I think it was. The one with the ppc from a play choice arcade system. I really want to do that to a nes but don't have the funds to stop that much on a chip.
emu_kidid wrote:how is it to hold, that's pretty awesome that you got away with using the full controller
I couldn't tell you yet, but when i found this case i was at a friends house and he wanted to scrap his old pc stuff. There it was, a spark went off in my head and I held it like a gameboy. It felt right, but I really need to figure out how I'm going to do my shoulder buttons.

Edit: and just cause I love it here at gcf

Air Conditioner

Post by Air Conditioner » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:56 am

I'd recommend frankencasing the original shoulder buttons onto the back. It'd would make it comfier to hold. You could also do the dual tact method Zenloc has a guide for over a ModRetro or even the single tact method if you're okay with not having SMS.
Formerly Mizumi
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:54 am

Mizumi wrote:I'd recommend frankencasing the original shoulder buttons onto the back. It'd would make it comfier to hold. You could also do the dual tact method Zenloc has a guide for over a ModRetro or even the single tact method if you're okay with not having SMS.
I was thinking about that, but the case is already pretty thick. And I'm using the original sticks so it's thick. Although I have been thinking about taking some plastic and cutting up to make shoulders similar to what ashen has on his gameboy fusion. Then Frankencase parts to make some get for when it's on the table.

I got the buttons working like 10 min after I updated my post.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:15 am

maybe something like Tchays Ccube
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:19 am

Hmmmm indeed....
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:41 am

Except 24 less GameCubes killed in the process?
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:45 am

after the whole thing that happened at ModRetro with Mega I've lost a bit of respect for him but his past work has been good. Without those 24 cubes we couldn't trim a board that small
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Ok so I have no time to explain anything but my audio amp didn't work at first so I removed it. Then I made one similar to shockslayer's. Thanks by the way ss I had no idea it would be that easy.

Pics:
This one is of the top of the portable. First coat of paint.

My reworked audio amp. I have it set at gain 50 but it had alot of static on the line I think it's because of the gain.

My first attempt at powering this gc or anything for that matter with these Li ion batteries. Looks like it works like a charm.
This is the gc running on Batts for the first time.
Last edited by Duhasst0 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:57 pm

emu_kidid wrote:Except 24 less GameCubes killed in the process?
Yeah as far as I know, I have only killed 1 but I think it can still be made to work.
Diminuendo wrote:after the whole thing that happened at ModRetro with Mega I've lost a bit of respect for him but his past work has been good. Without those 24 cubes we couldn't trim a board that small
I have seen that post too. I didn't agree with it and I lost respect for who started it. But what ever floats your boat. But you are right all the work he did in the beginning definitely helped.
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:41 pm

Murdered consoles is why I'm against building portables personally. I've murdered 1-2 very cheap (15$) consoles from regular mods, but that was no huge loss. For gaming on the go I'm fine with emulation or ports, not like I'll be able to tell the difference between real hardware or fake on a tiny screen and little speakers.

There is one thing I do agree to though. If you paid for a console, you can do whatever the f#ck you want with it. If you buy a console and want to murder it for the cause of building a smaller portable, whatever, you paid for it.

Do I think village idiots should be making portables? No. I blame the people who post idiot-friendly modding guides for all this needless destruction. If you make the guide complex enough then only someone with enough brains and skill to do it right will be able to even understand the guide.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:44 am

Just a quick update, have to ditch the audio amp. I'm not giving the amp enough volts to run so I have to get a different ic. Going to be getting the audio amp from bentomo's guide.

I also need to get more primer and paint and maybe more epoxy haven't gotten that far yet. I cut the back of my controller up and getting ready to put that all together. I am going to end up using the original pots. Don't want to cause I already wired the controller for dual tacts. I just can't wrap my brain around this. My ideas just don't seem like they would work.

Any way until Friday I won't have any paint or primer, so there won't be much progress after the back is together. Well except taping off the pieces of metal where the guts will sit. Don't need any shorts.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:50 pm

Ok so it's been awhile since I have updated this... Basically just working on the case for now. Waiting on my new audio amp, having issues soldering to super tiny pads on wiikeys and destroying parts that worked in other gcs I have. So I am also waiting on some stuff from megalomaniac. Right now I am having issues with wiring the the controller. I was pretty sure it was working last time I messed with it. But I had also been using the controller port I relocated. Wire it up with the controller it self, nothing. Could be I have something wrong but I am going on info from bentomo's controller notes. Anyone have any ideas? I removed all the wiring already but can put it back just as quick.

Edit I guess I had left it intact except the ground.

Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:11 pm

Alright well when I got home from work tonight I had some glass that needed to be installed in a friends tablet. So did that, then worked on my cube. I soldered In the controller port to see if maybe I'm just not doing it right, or if I fried my controller. Well I'm just not wiring it to the controller right. Both my stock controller and my rewired controller work. So I guess I will be rethinking this and heading back to bentomo's controller notes, I only wish that the controller scans looked better than they do.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:02 pm

Conclusion to the controller problem. I figured that the pin numbers on the controller board coincided with the ones from kasars gcp guide. That's how I have been wiring things. So I took my broken multimeter set it to continuity, plugged my controller cord into the ports I have removed, put the end that goes into the controller into the controller, and checked to see what went where. I will have the controller wired up and tested after work. Now I just need to finish the case, and wire the wiikey.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:38 am

Controller wired and tested, removed for the moment because it won't be where I want it anyways. Tired and got to bed. Pics:

Case work:

Back panel. Feels good to grip, too. I have pretty big hands so it fits well.

Peace
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:46 pm

I'm more of a fan of flush controls, but that's my only complaint.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:04 am

Drakon wrote:I'm more of a fan of flush controls, but that's my only complaint.
I understand I wanted them like that but I couldn't really find a way with out cutting more of the metal frame that will be going around the black plastic frame. I'm pretty much done cutting this thing, especially the metal parts. I need some new dremel stuff. I will say that it feels great to hold tho.

So many holes to fill in the surface and I need to round some parts of it out more, too. I'm just glad I'm getting further along at a good pace in my opinion. I have great idea for the back, too. I found that the way I did the back allows the unit to appear floating.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:08 pm

So excited today, my tact switches for the shoulders came in today, along with my audio amp. I will be putting that together when work isn't trying to kill me.

I just gotta get the paint finished on the case, clear coat, place tacts in the back, wire audio amp, assemble, and play.

I have been looking at other cases at poly case, is there another website you guys recommend for cars other than that? Vac forming looks like it would be good to do but pouring a plastic molded case looks good too. Reason I ask is cause once I have this done I will be gathering parts for other consoles I have plans for, and I will also be helping someone put together their first portable. They are really interested in all the work I have been doing.
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:39 am

Whoa didn't know there's a metal frame in there.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:37 pm

Oh yeah, it's an old HP external cd writer. I figured the plastic frame would be good to mount things to and the metal cage or frame would be great to keep everything in there while closing it up.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:56 am

While I'm waiting for my iron to cool off for a different tip. I got a wiikey wired just not to the cube yet.