My first GCp

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Duhasst0

My first GCp

Post by Duhasst0 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:48 am

I have been working on a portable game cube for a while now, and figured I should post some of my progress. Basically going frankencase from an old hp external cd burner. Here are some pics.

Top of my portable getting ready for holes

Using all for player ports

Front side where the controls will go and the screen

Where everything will go inside

Backside where I have the bike cut out for the fan

Motherboard rev a I believe, in the chassis of the old cd burner insides.
To side of the motherboard.
I am waiting on a screen and my batteries to get here. I also managed to kill a couple of my regs but it was my first time using such devices. So I have to order those as well. My wiring is almost done. Mainly just putting the holes in the places they need to go and put it together.

I don't have a name for this portable either, but since it was made from an old hp cd burner, maybe something related to that. Although it's getting covered with paint and I might etch something in the plastic.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: My first GCp

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:50 am

nice heatsink ;)
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Thanks emu, have you used the same? Do you know a good way to mount this fan to my gc.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:41 pm

No I haven't used it before. I've never had to extend the heatsinks I've used to fit over the screw holes so I've gotten off easy. I'm sure there's a nice way to do this though.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:47 pm

Oh well question stands tho if any one has any info on how to mount this please let me know. Thanks, but I might be able to do this just really gotta think.
SNEAKxxATTACK

Post by SNEAKxxATTACK » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:07 am

I've heard people using the thermal paste around most of the area of the chips that are covered by heatsink, then superglue on the rims of the chips.
public-pervert

Post by public-pervert » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:39 am

There are a little thickness diference between the CPU, GPU and RAMs, that's why nintendo puts the thick thermal pads. I'd stick to the original pads and put some piece of plastic or something between the heatsink and mobo, and then put some superglue or epoxy to secure everything.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:39 pm

Hmm I don't know about all that. I don't like the idea of epoxying the heat sink to the board. Maybe I will mount it to the lid so that when I put the motherboard over top it will clamp down on it and it won't move. Maybe even epoxy it to the lid.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:39 am

Ok so I got my screen, batteries, pcb, charger, and extra controller board today. I messed up a couple Regs like a week ago so those are on the way. Putting some work in on the case to get the holes cut. But after that, it's all wiring and testing.

megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:28 am

what the hell is that big hunky white box?
GC mainboard looks so small in comparison...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:31 am

Xbox 360 case
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:23 am

360.....thats a big bitch
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:48 am

Yeah that is a big bitch. First gen 360 was huge. Almost done with this gcp really. The batteries i got were from a guy on mr and I guess he had them wired to something. I will go thru and mess with that, then cut my holes buy some more epoxy and some plastic filler and be done.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:27 pm

So I really have only gotten a chance to just build an audio amp for my gcp. Been doing alot of mental placing of batteries, pcb, wkf, external memory card slot, 4 player sockets, a/v out, power switch. But I think this is going to turn out pretty good.

Audio amp before I cut it off

After I cut the amp off the bread board
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:36 am

Did a whole bunch of cutting and case work. Unfortunately the epoxy I bought was old and hard so I have to take it back and get some new. I couldn't put any epoxy on the case to keep the controller front in so I have it hot glued in the corners for now. Drilled out the holes for av out and an external memory card port and wkf port.

Front of the case with lcd frame and controller waiting for epoxy.

Oh yeah my regs came in so those are installed and ready for power.

Using a full sized controller board since it's going to fit.

Memory Card av out and wkf ports

Wired my pcb for the batteries up. So far just have the charging port soldered straight to the board. I will be getting a switch so that I can have play and charge.

Waiting on 3ds sliders and for funds for plastic filler, paint and clear coat. So all this week when I have free time I will be wiring everything together.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:39 am

So haven't gotten around the to motherboard yet, work sucks. I did get some of the casework done tho. Got some epoxy in there. Got it everywhere cause it was thinner than what I was using at first. I will be going back to that other one for sure. Getting bondo later on to fill in any gaps and smooth everything on the front and back. I have been doing alot of thinking on how I was going to attempt the shoulder buttons and the analog part. I have a really good idea. My first idea would have worked if the button actually had legs. It would have been perfect too. Any way the pic I took off the epoxy didn't turn out and I'm really tired so I'm not going down there, more tomorrow.

Peace
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:21 am

Alright, so I think my board may be just fine and I don't think I'm using a good wire or connection from when I solder my video wire. Then again I Maui have a short somewhere. Turned it on today after putting the heat sink fan on I have and it got pretty warm pretty quick in my opinion. But I could be wrong. I probably won't have time to do any work on her tonight either but I will try.

Anyway here is the front epoxied and ready for bondo.
ImageImage
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:25 am

interesting to see how this turns out...
i like that little "recycled" case

Image Image Image
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:55 pm

Ok so I am having some issues with my board. I am not getting any audio or video out. I haven't done much to it but take the ports out and wire power to it. I did wire the wkf but I removed it untill I can figure out wtf. I will post some shots of the board in just a few.

Dol cpu 10

Edit: 10 not 20
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:47 pm

So I looked over this board again, noticed quite a few missing components. Probably from my impatience before I started this log. But all markings looked to be for caps and I happen to have a board that may be popular has the worst fail rate. This board has a bunch of those kind of caps. Let's see if science is on my side today. I'm going to clean up the power port and try again

Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:02 pm

Stock regs no video no audio. Last night wouldn't turn on, today I got it to turn on. Chips heat up, heat sink is turning. I have a feeling I'm missing something really easy.

Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:42 pm

Trying to tidy the power area

Oh yeah video and the screen working. Image

What the wiring looks like now

Edit: I forgot to mention that I got my ds analog sliders in today. So tomorrow it's to radioshack to get the right kind of switch, a couple dc jacks, some resistors, maybe a pot or 2, and maybe something for a low battery circuit.

I also picked up some bondo, sand paper, more epoxy (the kind I liked better), and getting ready to paint my case. I think my other board may be ok, and I need a new multimeter. There was a fuse that came with the screen and it was the right rating. Tried it out, so messed up. That sucks but, Oh well.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Decided on some case work tonight. So bondo and sanding, lots and lots of sanding. Although, I need to do more bondo, damnit. There are several places I just didn't fill very well. Plus it has been years since I messed with bondo and forgot how quick the stuff dries. Any way pics.

Also, I did a little controller work this morning but haven't taken any pics yet.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:03 am

Ok so doing more controller work, can't get the transistors to work but I don't have the bc 547 I have what radio Shack calls a general use transistor. Any way, did alot of case work too. Wired up my memory card extension, that works. Haven't done much other than that. But here are the pics.

Memory Card extension and internal memory cards working

Bondo work on the case

More bondo and primer on the other piece.

First coat of primer on the face the top piece has had like 3 already. Trying to get that now even coat.

More sanding with a lighter grit

Well that's it for now. Not much else to do but test the batteries and the audio amp, install the power switch I will be using, get the controller working, build the shoulder button locations, Mount everything in the case, and finish the paint.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:28 am

oh yea!!!
its looking great

Image Image Image