Research on output progressive signals by MultiAV Port

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
fromjw

Research on output progressive signals by MultiAV Port

Post by fromjw » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:46 pm

It is generally believed, GC output progressive signals MUST use component cable by DigitalAV port (including progressive component and 31Khz RGBHV), while MultiAV port can only output interlaced signals.

So, if MultiAV port can output progressive signal? Everyone will say impossible, contrary to many people's surprise, the answer is yes.

We know, PAL GC's MultiAV port can output 15Khz RGB signal, if you forced output progressive signals, GC will automatically detect whether the cable is inserted in DigitalAV port, if the detection returns a true, then output progressive signals, Otherwise, regardless of the conditions, GC never output progressive signal.

So, if you want output progressive signals from MultiAV port, the most basic condition is the detection of whether the cable is inserted in DigitalAV port. Of course, the easiest way is to directly plug a component cable, but you probably like most people do not have the rare cable.

DigitalAV port pin out:
Details: http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:nintendodigitalav

It can be found, Pin1 is used to detect whether the plug cable is inserted (1.8V means "inserted", grounded or floating means "no inserted"). So, it's easy to handle, we can give a 1.8V signal to Pin1 to simulate inserting component cable. GC internal power module output 1.9V, it‘s closer to 1.8V and can be used:

Short 1.9V and Pin1, GC with RGBS connected to the monitor and boot, first the GC boot menu is interlaced, after into Swiss, the screen flashed, we are happy to see, the monitor OSD info has become 576P:

However, although we've got a progressive picture from MultiAV port, but the picture is not perfect, maybe red is missing. After inspection, it should be a problem in sync signal, and it causes red missing.

PAL GC MultiAV port has no independent sync pin, the sync signal of RGB is extracted from composite video, I found that the composite video signal disappear while output progressive signals. (or become very very weak, I guess. Use composite video signal to monitor while output progressive, monitor will prompt "no sync", and has a very blurred image.)

From above research, GC will turn off composite video while output progressive signals, so it will affect RGB sync signal and cause the screen not normal.

I hope there is someone who offers more suggestions to make the progressive picture perfect from MultiAV port, so we can say goodbye to component cable and DigitalAV port. ;)
Attachments
gamecubedigital1.png
(64.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
7.png
(241.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
GC_576P@MultiAV.jpg
(189.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
LOCtronicz

Re: Research on output progressive signals by MultiAV Port

Post by LOCtronicz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:12 pm

Hmm interesting information. How have you wired up the gamecube to your monitor? Have you got a sync splitter on the composite line wired to c sync? or have you wired it directly?

Maybe a bit more accurate information on you hookup would be great. I have also realized the same thing that the multi port indeed can output progressive however it is as you say the composite get's cut off and you can't get a proper signal.
Interested in more of my projects?? Check my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001843721188

Or email me at loctronics@gmail.com with your request.
HomelandReloaded

Post by HomelandReloaded » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Don't give up. The picture you get is exactly the same as I get if I connect the component video cable from my GameCube to a Samsung TV via a component video adapter if the adapter is not pushed right into the TV component video socket. The adapter takes the usual 3 Red/Blue/Green component video plugs and connects them to a 2-pin component video plug. Each of the 2 pins has 4 contacts, and I guess one of them is earth. If I disconnect the blue or the green component video plug from the adapter I get no picture at all. If I disconnect the red cable I get blue and green but no red in the picture. This is not the same as the poor quality green/black picture (like yours) that I get when the adapter is not fully inserted.

This doesn't tell me anything, but it might be useful to someone. Also, my Samsung TV (which has lots of inputs but sucks as a monitor) says that the signal it is getting in both cases is 720x480 60i.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:53 pm

all this information has been posted before...
the composite signal will always cut off because the clock detect in the AVE...
there is no way discovered thus far to allow "proper" progressive video from the analog port of a PAL GC..
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
fromjw

Post by fromjw » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:48 am

LOCtronics wrote:Hmm interesting information. How have you wired up the gamecube to your monitor? Have you got a sync splitter on the composite line wired to c sync? or have you wired it directly?

Maybe a bit more accurate information on you hookup would be great. I have also realized the same thing that the multi port indeed can output progressive however it is as you say the composite get's cut off and you can't get a proper signal.
I use R,G,B and composite video as CSync to connect Sony PVM monitor, you can wire composite directly, it's not necesery to use sync splitter, PVM monitor can do the job itself, but most TV cannot.
fromjw

Post by fromjw » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:09 am

megalomaniac wrote:all this information has been posted before...
the composite signal will always cut off because the clock detect in the AVE...
there is no way discovered thus far to allow "proper" progressive video from the analog port of a PAL GC..
It's a sad news for me, thank you for the advice. I'm a newer, and didn't see any previous posts here.

PAL GC's video chip is "AVE P-DOL", I do not know if there is any way can hack it, is it impossible? Does anyone has the datasheet of the chip?

Attachments
gc_video_chip_PAL.jpg
(196.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet