Dead Horse Beating: Gamecube Digital AV to direct HDMI

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
cvmagic

Re: Dead Horse Beating: Gamecube Digital AV to direct HDMI

Post by cvmagic » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:40 pm

Well I am going to refocus on fixing the timing issues and ensuring I get all of the flag information before exploring how to finally output it, VGA seems likely but a CPLD may not be enough for that.
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Just to generate sync ?
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:11 pm

DisplayPort is out of question :)?
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:47 pm

Who uses Display Port ? :P
Also it's only available on computer monitors.
cvmagic

Post by cvmagic » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:54 pm

Streetwalker wrote:Just to generate sync ?
You've got to keep in mind not only would it have to generate syncs, it would have convert the color space to RGB as well for use for VGA, in addition have enough free I/O to pass to a DAC. It's a tall order for a CPLD, but likely manageable for a small FPGA.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:40 pm

I was actually interested in the device for a rev 3 n64

Sent from my GT-S6310T using Tapatalk
Kadano

Post by Kadano » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:35 am

I have a noob question.

Has anybody done research on how the video data is processed before the Digital AV port? Maybe we could intercept it straight from the GPU, I guess it would be progressive RGBHV there which is split and encoded into CVBS, S-Video, SCART-RGB as well as proprietary YCbCr?
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:50 am

The encoded video signal is sourced from the external framebuffer which is YUY2. The encoder also handles scaling, gamma correction etc. so it's not feasible to take the image directly from there.
Kadano

Post by Kadano » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:52 am

Thank you for the insight! Are there video formats later in the processing line, but still internal that could be used better?
ShortFuse

Post by ShortFuse » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:14 pm

cvmagic, I will pay good money for Digital AV to Direct HDMI with no upscaling and no deinterlacing. All I want is a straight 480p HDMI connection. Audio would be nice, and I believe the port outputs audio that the AD9889B chip can take as SP/DIF. I was actually looking into something like this and narrowed it down to the AD9889B chip and then realized you were ahead of me.

Now the question is why in the world would I want just 480p and not care about anything else?

Because the Melee/Smash community is booming and we are still using stupid-heavy CRT TVs for tournaments. Smash works fine with 480p. The alternative is to use a Wii with component out and a high quality Analog to Digital Converter like a Avermedia LGP ($179) or Blackmagic Intensity ($189) to convert the component to HDMI and then pass that to a gaming monitor. Scaling is not important because the gaming monitors scale well, already.

Going Digital AV to Digital HDMI would be a dream come true for us and I, personally, can put down an order of 50 devices. I know MLG is interested because they don't want to have to track down CRTs for their tournaments. They would rather use the same LCDs they use for all their other tournaments.

If you need capital to get started or get the HDMI licenses, PM me and we can discuss it.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:51 pm

ShortFuse wrote:cvmagic, I will pay good money for Digital AV to Direct HDMI with no upscaling and no deinterlacing. All I want is a straight 480p HDMI connection. Audio would be nice, and I believe the port outputs audio that the AD9889B chip can take as SP/DIF. I was actually looking into something like this and narrowed it down to the AD9889B chip and then realized you were ahead of me.

Now the question is why in the world would I want just 480p and not care about anything else?

Because the Melee/Smash community is booming and we are still using stupid-heavy CRT TVs for tournaments. Smash works fine with 480p. The alternative is to use a Wii with component out and a high quality Analog to Digital Converter like a Avermedia LGP ($179) or Blackmagic Intensity ($189) to convert the component to HDMI and then pass that to a gaming monitor. Scaling is not important because the gaming monitors scale well, already.

Going Digital AV to Digital HDMI would be a dream come true for us and I, personally, can put down an order of 50 devices. I know MLG is interested because they don't want to have to track down CRTs for their tournaments. They would rather use the same LCDs they use for all their other tournaments.

If you need capital to get started or get the HDMI licenses, PM me and we can discuss it.
Have you guys fed a 480p natively digital signal into your TVs and found the lag acceptable I'm guessing? I would think 480p to 1080p scaling would still introduce a good amount of lag since it's not a whole integer scaling process? If you have some numbers on the delay I'd love to hear them since I'm looking for a 1080p television that upscales with little lag.
ShortFuse

Post by ShortFuse » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:00 pm

bobrocks95 wrote:Have you guys fed a 480p natively digital signal into your TVs and found the lag acceptable I'm guessing? I would think 480p to 1080p scaling would still introduce a good amount of lag since it's not a whole integer scaling process? If you have some numbers on the delay I'd love to hear them since I'm looking for a 1080p television that upscales with little lag.
Yeah, the avermedia lgp doesn't scale and everyone at the smash community already swears by it. It's lagtested with a gaming monitor to be less than 4ms(including the display lag).

Upscaling is really simple in coding terms. It's just multiplication. Stretching an image up doesn't take long and it's evident by switching Zoom, Full, Wide, Narrow on TVs

The real problem is the lack of component input on these good monitors, lack of component cables, and the lack of inexpensive, quality component to HDMI adapters.

Edit: as for a large hdtv. Nothing beats the Sony KDL-W series. I have a 2013 KDL55W802A and lag tested 480p over component between 2.5ms and 6ms. 2014 models are on-par or faster.
Acrof

Post by Acrof » Tue May 20, 2014 3:57 am

Streetwalker wrote:Who uses Display Port ? :P
Also it's only available on computer monitors.
But there are tons of cheap adapters for DP to HDMI!

I belive there's no loss in the image quality using one of those, so if a HDMI licese is so expensive as they say, then the Display port alternative shouldn't be ignored.
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced » Tue May 27, 2014 4:51 pm

So, what's the projected price point for something like this?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:45 pm

BitFaced wrote:So, what's the projected price point for something like this?
I doubt there is one atm. cvmagic hasn't posted on this topic for a couple months and I haven't seen anything from OzOnE in even longer, so I don't think things are close enough to being done yet for anyone to say. The projects could even be dead in the water, who knows except for them and anyone else they're working with?
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Tue May 27, 2014 6:55 pm

bobrocks95 wrote: I doubt there is one atm. cvmagic hasn't posted on this topic for a couple months and I haven't seen anything from OzOnE in even longer, so I don't think things are close enough to being done yet for anyone to say. The projects could even be dead in the water, who knows except for them and anyone else they're working with?
They just need to upload their code and megalomaniac will do something beautiful with it :lol:.
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL