My 2nd portable, another GCP [WIP]

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
L10N37

My 2nd portable, another GCP [WIP]

Post by L10N37 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi guys,

Started work on my 2nd portable, I had a few faulty gamecubes laying around so why not. I want this one to be a lot smaller.
The case measures 158 x 90 x 40mm

The cut is somewhere between a maximum safe cut, and almostwtf cut, but i cut the corner off the power connector too (couldn't be bothered unsoldering any ports). I also JUST managed to keep C74 capacitor on the board, I don't know how anyone gets there cubes running all their iso's without this, mine fell off and it took me a while to figure out why some games weren't full screen or wouldn't load at all! (it gets cut off in the wtf cuts)

Instantly ran into problems with this being a PAL console and different revision to the Cutting guide, Pin 7 ended up being composite video - not pin 9 of the chip in the wtfcut alternate points guide. A lot of other things points and components are placed differently too, hoping I don't struggle too much!

I actually bypassed the 12v step down in the screen, that's 5v hooked to the leg of the capacitor :) I only had 360ohm resistors to put between composite video and earth, seems to look ok, but I can experiment later down the track for better picture if need to. Definitely a custom regulator and either 2 top quality 18650's (3400mah each) or a 4000mah turnigy to power this one (7.4v) Hoping I can fit it all in there.

Anyway I'll keep you's posted with updates (or simply add them to the album).

http://imgur.com/a/YM4a8
L10N37

Re: My 2nd portable, another GCP [WIP]

Post by L10N37 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:19 am

strange things happening with this cut board.
I don't know if PAL is too different from NTSC boards, but quite a few components are placed differently to the cutting guide and pin 7 was the video output not 9.

I am getting full audio, and very good quality with nothing but the 1.x v and 3.x v rails hooked to the board.

The 5v is just regulating the screen.

Mario Kart wouldn't load via the Wkf menu what so ever. (blank screen post reboot)
A few other games would, but weren't full screen (huge black bar top and bottom)
Baldurs gate was perfect, full screen. No Issues.

They were all NTSC.

After I flashed Swiss R256 [Autoboot], Mario Kart would load, but in black and white, and every other NTSC game would load, but in B&W.

Kind of reminds me of the old link wire you had to run in Playstations for NTSC colour correction post mod. Strange that even Baldurs gate went black and white too as it was originally in colour via wkf menu.

I am happy that all games are now loading, and I have autoboot... PAL games seem to be fine. Can't really test much out atm as my desktop is awaiting a new motherboard and has my iso's on it.
Would love to figure out a correction for these B&W NTSC games!

L10N37