Help with WKF SD / DVD passthrough toggle switch

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
iamdablasta

Help with WKF SD / DVD passthrough toggle switch

Post by iamdablasta » Thu May 01, 2014 9:37 pm

I want to create a toggle switch that makes the WKF enable dvd passthrough, when sd is inserted. I know that if you take the sd out it will automatically use dvd passthrough. I'd rather it be a switch instead of taking sd in/out.

Which pin(s) must be disabled (by toggle switch) in order to make it not detect sd and go into passthrough?

I mean between SD card and WKF.
the game
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Help with WKF SD / DVD passthrough toggle switch

Post by emu_kidid » Thu May 01, 2014 10:36 pm

It might not be based on any of the actual pins, it will need further investigation, because when you push a SD card in all the way into a slot, there's a pin on the side of the slot near the pins that makes contact with another and basically says "something is in the slot".
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu May 01, 2014 10:38 pm

removing the SD card does not automatically enable DVD passthru...it depends on the situation...

IF gamecube is booted with no SD card, then DVD passthru is enabled
ELSE pin29 must be used to change mode from SD to DVD....or DVD to SD

also, its always a 2 step process to enable DVD passthru from previous SD mode...
1. remove card
2. hit pin29 switch

so there is no easy way to accomplish this since it requires a switch and a momentary switch....
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Fri May 02, 2014 12:07 am

emu_kidid wrote:It might not be based on any of the actual pins, it will need further investigation, because when you push a SD card in all the way into a slot, there's a pin on the side of the slot near the pins that makes contact with another and basically says "something is in the slot".
So if I look inside the sd slot I might find this pin on the side and move it and add a switch on the gc instead.
megalomaniac wrote: IF gamecube is booted with no SD card, then DVD passthru is enabled
ELSE pin29 must be used to change mode from SD to DVD....or DVD to SD
IF gc is booted without sd passthrough will enable, which is why I want to make a switch into making it act like sd is removed.
Can a on-off switch be used on pin 29 to enable/disable passthrough, is that what you're saying?
the game
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri May 02, 2014 12:39 am

pin29 is only used to register an eject signal needed for the modchip to switch modes....and it will only switch modes depending on card in slot or not...
pin29 is not an on/off switch...its a momentary switch used to replicate the wii's eject button...

the pin emu_kidid is referring to is inside the SD slot itself...its a card detect signal
you do not want to mess with that just to avoid having to push the sd card...

before trying to mod and break things, spend a little time learning how it all works so you can then rethink the goal and realize the solution...
or go ahead and break it...i got plenty of WASPs to sell you...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Fri May 02, 2014 9:07 am

megalomaniac wrote:pin29 is only used to register an eject signal needed for the modchip to switch modes....and it will only switch modes depending on card in slot or not...
pin29 is not an on/off switch...its a momentary switch used to replicate the wii's eject button...

the pin emu_kidid is referring to is inside the SD slot itself...its a card detect signal
you do not want to mess with that just to avoid having to push the sd card...

before trying to mod and break things, spend a little time learning how it all works so you can then rethink the goal and realize the solution...
or go ahead and break it...i got plenty of WASPs to sell you...
I can get wasps from where I live locally, lucky there.

I'll take a look inside the sd slot, if it looks as hard as you say I'll give up.
the game