Wiikey Fusion on Gamecube

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Aglae

Wiikey Fusion on Gamecube

Post by Aglae » Mon May 05, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi,

I have just bought a Wiikey Fusion to install in replacement of the mini DVD drive of our Pal Gamecube console.
I have had issues with burning mini DVDs and having them run without glitches or dreadful error messages. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. Most of the time they end up in the trash.

So I decided to go for the SD card stuff, I imagined dropping iso images onto a SD card to be easier and less time consuming.

I have read a few threads in this sections but the install process seems awefully complicated for the average person that I am.

I'm pretty sure the answer to this will be 'follow the tutorial but I still hope there's an easier way, is there ? If you happen to know of a nice tutorial on video (like 'Install Wiikey Fusion 4 dummies', then feel free to forward the link.

All help is appreciated. How's that for a first post ? BTW, I'm an old fart (yep you can call me that) from western europe (somewhere in the Alps for the Ski enthusiastics around) and I have never had a Gamecube before lately (used to be into C64/Amiga... and older stuff you probably wouldn't dare play nowadays).

Thanks,
jlo138

Re: Wiikey Fusion on Gamecube

Post by jlo138 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:35 pm

Aglae wrote:Hi,

I have had issues with burning mini DVDs and having them run without glitches or dreadful error messages. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. Most of the time they end up in the trash.
Have you tried a POT tweak? That may help you retrieve those coasters. It requires you to disassemble the cube... I made a video on how to do it.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=b1zwwj0vfTE
*Note that I didn't use an ohm tester as it's recommended but 5 times done without issues. :D
And if you watch the video, yes if have a gamebit now. :)

A couple of threads on the subject.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=315
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=274
.timil retcarahc 552 a si erehT .ekam uoy stsop ot dedda eb nac taht txet fo kcolb a si sihT
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Mon May 05, 2014 4:27 pm

jlo138 wrote:
Aglae wrote:Hi,

Have you tried a POT tweak? That may help you retrieve those coasters. It requires you to disassemble the cube... I made a video on how to do it.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=b1zwwj0vfTE
*Note that I didn't use an ohm tester as it's recommended but 5 times done without issues. :D
And if you watch the video, yes if have a gamebit now. :)

A couple of threads on the subject.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=315
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=274
I highly reccommend using a multimeter to measure the ohms, they're cheap.
the game
Aglae

Post by Aglae » Tue May 06, 2014 8:08 am

Yes, I tried the Pot tweak with and without the multimeter.
The chip inside I believe is XenoGC.

As I said, some games work while others don't. I have tried using the recommended mini DVDs. I burn them using very slow speed too.
Is there a way I can check the images to make sure they work when I burn them ? Any tips (besides pot tweaking which barely improved compatibility) on how to burn those iso images correctly.

I have sent the Wiikey tutorial to my step father who usually knows about electronic & soldering and stuff but he is kind of lost with this one.

Also, what emulator would you recommand to play them on a computer (a computer's that's actually quite old too although not as old as me).

Thanks again,
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Tue May 06, 2014 9:07 am

Aglae wrote:Yes, I tried the Pot tweak with and without the multimeter.
The chip inside I believe is XenoGC.

As I said, some games work while others don't. I have tried using the recommended mini DVDs. I burn them using very slow speed too.
Is there a way I can check the images to make sure they work when I burn them ? Any tips (besides pot tweaking which barely improved compatibility) on how to burn those iso images correctly.

I have sent the Wiikey tutorial to my step father who usually knows about electronic & soldering and stuff but he is kind of lost with this one.

Also, what emulator would you recommand to play them on a computer (a computer's that's actually quite old too although not as old as me).

Thanks again,
It could be your burner, I didn't have a disk drive so I used my mother's mac. Did not go well often.
Swapped to shitty laptop disk drive, worked fine.
the game
Aglae

Post by Aglae » Tue May 06, 2014 9:35 am

What recording software are you guys using for best results ?

I will try burning onto my son's laptop which is a couple of years old... be probably better than my 10+y/o computer.

As for a 'newbie user friendly tutorial' to install the darn Wiikey', is there such a thing ?

Thanks
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Tue May 06, 2014 2:22 pm

Aglae wrote:What recording software are you guys using for best results ?

I will try burning onto my son's laptop which is a couple of years old... be probably better than my 10+y/o computer.

As for a 'newbie user friendly tutorial' to install the darn Wiikey', is there such a thing ?

Thanks
Not sure about that. I have seen plenty of guides, but I can't recall seeing a noobie friendly. The soldering itself isn't newbie friendly.

HOWEVER, if you search the forums for the megadrive (not yet released) there are some that are basically plug and play that's coming soon enough. Don't know exactly when.
the game
jlo138

Post by jlo138 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:27 pm

You can try the Dolphin emulator but it needs a good computer for it. I have a quad core and it works pretty good but I'll encounter problems if trying to play in HD. Wii games run at around 40-60% for me.

I use Nero to burn my isos. Don't burn the iso in its shrunken state, make sure it's 1.35gb.
.timil retcarahc 552 a si erehT .ekam uoy stsop ot dedda eb nac taht txet fo kcolb a si sihT
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue May 06, 2014 4:52 pm

Depends on what you call "a quad core". Because if it's an AMD CPU and/or you have a shitty GPU then there's the problem. My PC (i7 3770k + HD7970 GHz edition) can run Dolphin at 1680*1050 in letterboxed 16:9 fairly well. And my CPU is quad core. I think I might actually get a CPU boost if I disable hyper threading because Dolphin will only run on up to three threads (with the dual core and DSP on separate thread options), so I don't need those 8 virtual cores.